Which Sprint Android to get???!?

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm getting a new device in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I'm an Android guy all the way, no iphone, I personally can't stand them.

Performance is important, price is not. In going to be stuck with this guy for 2 years so I want one bad mammajamma!

Rooting is a must, so a device with a solid support of developers is crucial.

What do you guys recommend? I've been out of the scene to long, so expert advice, it's that I seek >:)

Thanks guys

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh you need massive pockets or a man purse to carry the note. My s3 falls out of my pocket all the time when I sit down.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would wait and see what the next Nexus phone is going to be like. Supposedly it will be announced October 29 by Google. However, not sure if they will announce availability then or not....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Guys thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've got it narrowed down to 3: Galaxy S3, EVO 4G lte, or the Galaxy Nexus. Are any of these nearing their eol? Which of these devices is capable of wifi tethering when rooted? Also in terms of overall size are any of these devices notably larger?

Thanks again!

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Guys thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've got it narrowed down to 3: Galaxy S3, EVO 4G lte, or the Galaxy Nexus. Are any of these nearing their eol? Which of these devices is capable of wifi tethering when rooted? Also in terms of overall size are any of these devices notably larger?

Thanks again!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the screen you look at matters get the Sprint EVO LTE. - Its the same as the HOX but renamed and painted black!

If multitasking matters do you get the Samsung GS3 or Samsung GN2.

Otherwise wait until the next Nexus is released but that could be a few weeks to a few months. Or if CDMA carriers even get it.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I'm getting a new device in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I'm an Android guy all the way, no iphone, I personally can't stand them.

Performance is important, price is not. In going to be stuck with this guy for 2 years so I want one bad mammajamma!

Rooting is a must, so a device with a solid support of developers is crucial.

What do you guys recommend? I've been out of the scene to long, so expert advice, it's that I seek >:)

Thanks guys

It would be worthwhile to wait for Google's event this coming Monday to see if they have any new phones for Sprint ... The GSM version of the Nexus 4 is upon us, but I haven't read anything that talks about a Sprint CDMA version. Historically Sprint has gotten these later, but with the new ipad's it looks like Sprint will get it at the same time... so who knows if that will extend to Google's new phone(s)..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, FWIW... I was a big HTC fan because of the original Evo... but we have had lots of problems with my wife's Evo LTE and just had to swap it under warranty...

So my confidence about HTC is at an all-time low...

For those with problem-free Evo LTE's, great for you...
Wish that we were in your camp...

Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks again!

The Galaxy Nexus is the oldest of those 3 and is about to be superceeded by the Nexus 4. Hardware-wise it's the least impressive, but being a Nexus is will continue to be supported.

The GS3 is the newest and has be best hardware specs of those three. It's also more easily rooted and has more dev support than the EvoLTE. So based on what you've said I'd recommend that one.

Although if you're already waitng a few months, I'd suggest considering a few unreleased phones. The Note2 has all the same advantages of the GS3, but with more RAM (if you can deal with the size). The LG Optimus G looks like it might be the best spec'd Android phone ever and the reviews say that it FLIES. But the bootloader is encypted, so you might want to wait to see if the dev community can crack it. (I'm predicting they will.) And then there's the LG Nexus 4 which is expected to have the same killer hardware as the LG Optimus G, but with pure Google and an unlockable bootloader. But it's unannounced and no one know when or if Sprint will get it. All 3 of these phone beat the 3 that you mentioned in my opinon.

What makes those 2 better than the EVO for multitasking?

Based on the amount of RAM the EVO has and how much RAM Sense takes, apps that would normally stay open in the background often end up closing. A lot of Evo owners complain about this. For example people tell stories about being in the middle of writing an email, opening the browser to copy a link, and when they try to go back to the email, the app has closed and their email is gone. I haven't experienced this first hand, but it's a pretty common complaint.

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the EVO is out for me, multitasking is a must. Sooooo narrowed down to the Optimus G, GS3 and the not released yet Nexus 4. The Optimus G is on the bottom of the list due to developer support at this time.

I won't be actually getting anything for a couple of weeks (when upgrade is available), so I'm eagerly waiting for the Nexus 4. No doubt that one will have devs all over it.

The point of this thread was to do my homework well in advance and not get a dud...I learned that the expensive way when my Samsung Instinct was a total crapper and I absolutely couldn't take it and bought a different device after 4 replacement Instincts.

Thanks for the advice people, if you've got anything else please keep it coming. This guy is gonna be with me for a while I want to make the best decision possible for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007