Jumping from VZW to Sprint in the coming months. What to expect?

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Besides the whole 4G WiMax/LTE issue and their poor 3G speeds, the biggest problem you'll encounter with Sprint that you normally don't see with Verizon is building penetration. I know my local Target has to take their Sprint phones up to Starbucks in the front of the store and sit near a window to activate the Sprint phones. Other than building penetration and speed, service is pretty reasonable.

Well, to be fair, Network Vision is drastically improving speeds for upgraded areas, so poor 3G speeds shouldn't be a concern for long, especially since piizadude is in an area that's currently currently being upgraded. In fact, IIRC, he already posted that his 3G speeds were close to, if not matching, Verizon's.

As for building penetration, that should be mostly fixed (for voice, at least) when 1xAdvanced is deployed in more markets, since it's at a similar frequency to Verizon's 850MHz spectrum. Granted, that will apply only to voice and not 3G, but Sprint will eventually deploy LTE over the 800MHz spectrum, too, so building penetration will be even less of an issue.

Note that I'm not denying that poor 3G speeds and building penetration are current issues. I'm just saying that they aren't issues everywhere, and where those things are problems, they will be fixed eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I figure that was what you were going for. I knew they did it to the Atrix, but was not sure how far the screwing went. I have never been a big Moto fan...

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, me being a huge Moto fan, this just disgusts me. When i got my photon about 8-9 months ago, it was one of the best phones available. Now it's eol, and I still have another year before I have an upgrade. If anything, your wife should get the GNex.

Motorola Photon 4G

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
She is loving my SGS3 so I am thinking that I can talk her into that and use hers on the biggest and baddest at the time. I wouldnt buy a Gnex, or N4. Gnex is too old at this point and the N4 is a disaster.

I am holding out hope for a SGS4 to be in the mix

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Pick a way.
Bad launch, hissing in the earpiece, glass back, issues with 4.2, crappy storage, crappy battery (though I am not sold on it is, there are enough complaints).

Biggest things for me are the storage and battery. Those 2 things alone make it a POS. I could have even said it was a fine phone but not for me if it would have had 32/64gb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Pick a way.
Bad launch, hissing in the earpiece, glass back, issues with 4.2, crappy storage, crappy battery (though I am not sold on it is, there are enough complaints).

Biggest things for me are the storage and battery. Those 2 things alone make it a POS. I could have even said it was a fine phone but not for me if it would have had 32/64gb

Wow you don't know anything. The nexus 4 is one of the best phones on the market. Even better than the s3 you mentioned earlier.

Sent from my Nexus 4, you jelly bro?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow you don't know anything. The nexus 4 is one of the best phones on the market. Even better than the s3 you mentioned earlier.

LOL!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I just got a Gnex 3 days ago and I really like it and don't consider it old considering its still a nexus

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Desperately? I actually have a couple :) keep going after that plastic junk

just going through your posts, you state you are looking for a DNA, Maxx HD, and iPhone 5 and that was just a quick look.
If you hae several, why could you not produce one picture for the thread that you had to sell them after repeated attempts to get you to do so.

keep trolling elsewhere

Guess you are pretty desperate to get rid of it...posted in the marketplace and in the N4 forums.

Last edited:

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for a little over two years now (moved over from AT&T). Before I moved over to Sprint I asked some co-workers who are long time customers about Sprint's CS and about all of them said it was really bad. But Since I've been with Sprint I haven't had a bad experience with them. Here in the Chicago, this past summer was just as bad as you can get because they were rolling out LTE here. Dropped calls, missed calls and texts, dial up like data speeds, you name it. But everytime time I called to complain I got a $30.00 credit on my bill and a apology.

It's gotten much better since they lit up LTE in the Chicagoland area in late September. It's not everywhere yet but it seems to be getting better almost every week (a lot of areas in downtown Chicago still don't have LTE yet, but hopefully that soon will change). The 3G speeds are still painfully slow. The fastest speed I got on 3G here was about 1.5 mbps down. So while things are getting much better, they still have some ways to go.

Oh, also Sprint was the first carier to roll out Jellybean on the SIII which is great.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Desperately? I actually have a couple :) keep going after that plastic junk

Easy about the SIII! Samsung has sold a ton of these phones, and all the reviews have been great. While I don't agree with all of pizzadudes complaints about the N4. You have to agree that Google/LG's Launch of the N4 was not good. If Apple had the same issues with the I5 launch the fanboys/girls would be rioting in the streets lol. Plus I just can't get past the memory limitations of the N4. C'mon only 16gb, if it was 32gb I'm sold! But 16gb and no expandable memory is a dealbreaker, at least for me.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts on sprint and he is a plain out troll so don't feed him. He is still trying to get rid of that phone, if he has it, since he cannot produce a picture for his marketplace listing

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I know right now that the coverage for LTE is nonexistent and that the 3G network is not all that great. Along those same lines, I am in Harrisburg, PA and there are numerous reports that the rollout is going well here and that LTE is moving along at a decent clip. I will deal with the network issues for 6 months to save money over VZW.

My question is more Sprint related itself. How are they as far as customer service? If I had a problem with my VZW phone, 9 times out of 10, if they couldnt fix it they would send me a replacement. Is it the same with Sprint? What about billing issues? Never had any with VZW and want to keep that trend going.

How about phones? What is coming on the Horizon (think black Friday). I know the SGS3 is there but how about others? Are they getting the Note 2? I am not a big fan of the LG Nexus or the Evo lines, but how about the new HTC DNA (DLX).

Any kind of insights you all can off I will be happy to hear.

I would expect slow data speeds but still good coverage for calls. Expect to roam anytime you go into a building and expect slower data after 10am. Supposedly they are working on these things and for the price I'm sticking it out. But tmobile is looking better and better the longer sprint takes.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2