Any 4G Sprint Airrave/Airvana femtocell devices in the works?

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As an owner of the current Airvana and previously owned Airrave, I was wondering if Sprint has any plans to come out with a 4G LTE version of these devices? Not that it's a killer if they don't, but just keeping my options open if I move to an area that has limited Sprint service. If they don't, I'll haul these with me. Then again, I probably would have to have an ISP giving me more than 6mb of DSL service just to keep up with the 4G capabilities. :)

gerrym#AC

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of the current Airvana and previously owned Airrave, I was wondering if Sprint has any plans to come out with a 4G LTE version of these devices? Not that it's a killer if they don't, but just keeping my options open if I move to an area that has limited Sprint service. If they don't, I'll haul these with me. Then again, I probably would have to have an ISP giving me more than 6mb of DSL service just to keep up with the 4G capabilities. :)

Google led me to this post, and I was disappointed not to see any responses. Sprint is fairly easy to deal with in getting one of these devices (if you make it through their screening process anyway). Seems all of us 'dedicated' Sprint people who need Airvana femtocell boxes and are in between Wimax and LTE (and know we are) should be asking this question. Guess that is a really narrow population based on no replies here. :)

The box does work, my cell battery life is living proof. I've got QOS dialed in to minimize the impact on my broadband cable hookup. Thanks Sprint for leaving that option open to my configuration preferences, it is truly appreciated.

So many questions, this is just one of them. These devices help the Sprint network even more if users don't lock them down by phone number... should Sprint give us some credit $$ for that??

Just found this link in a thread on the s4gru forum. Sprint counts 600,000 femtocells, plans to update Airave - FierceWireless

Sort of answers the question.

Last edited:

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I wish we would get a 4G Airrave, but I'm wondering what purpose it would serve...

If you have WiFi, there is no point...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bawalker

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The more I've researched I'm finding 4G LTE speeds vary going from 7mb upto 30mb on Sprint. Even higher upto 50mb on Verizon so a 4G airave definitely would be pointless that I've learned. Considering most cable/DSL lines for residential services aren't going over 5-8mb anyway with most business broadband connections being in the 10-15mb range at best. So the backhaul can't keep up to LTE speeds. Not counting those you lucky few with Verizon FIOS....

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Was gonna say I had an older Samsung Airave when I had Sprint for a few years. A 4G Airave would be a waste anyways. For one it has to connect VIA your broadband there for the speeds would never exceed your internet connection anyways by default. So an upgrade seems silly at this point. What you all wanna do is BUY your own real tower for your front yards yes!? :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon