Sprint in Los Angeles is terrible barely getting 10-30 KB/s at some points

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and recently moved to the Los Angeles area, particularly the Santa Monica area, and my speeds for the data are about 10-30 KB/sec. The speeds are outside, not in any buildings or anything. It is getting to the point where I have to wait 20 seconds to update gmail or flipboard or something.

I have contacted sprint and e-mailed them my speed tests, but they don't see a problem, they always tell me to update the PRL and profile, but that doesn't do anything at all. It is to the point where I am going to switch to another carrier, but Sprint won't let me out of the ETF.

I know I signed a contract recently, but I had no clue that the LA area was so bad. I don't really care about the dropped calls and poor cell reception, but the data speeds are horrendous. Sprint advised me that they have updated there 3G network in the area, but how is it still at such low speeds. Verizon's 3G is about 1 mbps in most areas, I use my brother's cell to check out the area that I test with sprint.

Is there anyway to try and get out of the ETF. I checked the TOS, and it says that speeds can vary, but this is ridiculous, I can't keep updating my PRL everyday hoping to get better net speeds.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and recently moved to the Los Angeles area, particularly the Santa Monica area, and my speeds for the data are about 10-30 KB/sec. The speeds are outside, not in any buildings or anything. It is getting to the point where I have to wait 20 seconds to update gmail or flipboard or something.

I have contacted sprint and e-mailed them my speed tests, but they don't see a problem, they always tell me to update the PRL and profile, but that doesn't do anything at all. It is to the point where I am going to switch to another carrier, but Sprint won't let me out of the ETF.

I know I signed a contract recently, but I had no clue that the LA area was so bad. I don't really care about the dropped calls and poor cell reception, but the data speeds are horrendous. Sprint advised me that they have updated there 3G network in the area, but how is it still at such low speeds. Verizon's 3G is about 1 mbps in most areas, I use my brother's cell to check out the area that I test with sprint.

Is there anyway to try and get out of the ETF. I checked the TOS, and it says that speeds can vary, but this is ridiculous, I can't keep updating my PRL everyday hoping to get better net speeds.

Was is that bad during your trial period?

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There was no trial period, this was an upgrade and I used to live in Orange County and it was reasonable in the area. I just moved to LA about two weeks ago, and the speed is horrendous.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone in OC in May, I had no issues in OC, but now in LA I have horrendous connection. Anything I can do? Unless the trial period starts after moving to a new city.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well where I live I have very good service and I don't even have nv in my area so I think that it's nv

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Does no one else have these issues in the LA (westside) area? I can't be the only one with these types of speeds.

I'm have no problems I live in the San Fernando Valley and go to San Monica a little and have to problems. when there it could just be the tower that you are connected to so I would call sprint and let them know that you are having problems. they will help but they are not going to let of your contract because you moved.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to be a downer but I'm glad to see I get better service than someone finally. In elyria, Ohio I barely get 50-75kbs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm have no problems I live in the San Fernando Valley and go to San Monica a little and have to problems. when there it could just be the tower that you are connected to so I would call sprint and let them know that you are having problems. they will help but they are not going to let of your contract because you moved.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I e-mailed them my speed tests and told them the cross-streets and zip codes, they told me to update profile and PRL, which I repeatedly did, but I got the same speeds again.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It would be a mistake to leave now. Judging by Sensorly, Network Vision is now underway in the Santa Monica area, which would explain the abysmal service. Just hang in there a little longer, and everything will be golden.

Edit: That's LTE coverage in the screenshot, btw. Make sure you have the appropriate network mode enabled on your phone. You may be able to pick up 4G in some places already.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357344156674.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357344156674.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 54

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It would be a mistake to leave now. Judging by Sensorly, Network Vision is now underway in the Santa Monica area, which would explain the abysmal service. Just hang in there a little longer, and everything will be golden.

Edit: That's LTE coverage in the screenshot, btw. Make sure you have the appropriate network mode enabled on your phone. You may be able to pick up 4G in some places already.

I ran speed tests in the areas that I do have 4G and sometimes I barely get 1 to 1.5 Mpbs. I know that rollout isn't yet complete, but Verizon and AT&T's 3G service is faster than sprint's 4G. And when I do have 3G, I barely get 30KB. Even if they improve it, how much would I possibly be getting a boost form 30 KB to 80 KB?

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I ran speed tests in the areas that I do have 4G and sometimes I barely get 1 to 1.5 Mpbs. I know that rollout isn't yet complete, but Verizon and AT&T's 3G service is faster than sprint's 4G. And when I do have 3G, I barely get 30KB. Even if they improve it, how much would I possibly be getting a boost form 30 KB to 80 KB?

With those 4G speeds, you're likely on the edge of LTE coverage. When they finish adding LTE to all the towers in the area, your speeds should improve drastically. If you go to the darker areas on the Sensorly map, you should get much better speeds.

When Network Vision is finished, 3G speeds should be up to a consistent 1Mbps+, quite possibly up to 2Mbps+ at non-peak times with good signal. I was getting 300Kbps and under in my driveway a while ago, never hitting close to 1Mbps, even at 3:30am. Now, I get 1Mbps, or at least close to it, even at peak hours. Of course, I generally just leave my data on LTE mode, and I get LTE in most places I go, so I don't have to use 3G much. Contrary to popular belief, LTE does not significantly impact battery life, at least on modern phones like the S3 and EVO 4G LTE (I looked through your previous posts and found that your battery life question was never really answered; I figured that may be why you cared about 3G speeds, so I checked; I use nothing but LTE, and my S3 still gets 20+ hours with 2+ hours of screen on time, so your Evo shouldn't have a problem).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you mentioned you recently moved.
What you might do is contest that since you have moved you no longer get the service you once did at your old location. I knew of someone who got out of a contract like that. BUT what was on their side was the fact that there was NO coverage. So i doubt it would help you but its worth a shot..
Im in the same boat as you. Singed a new contract when the EVO LTE came out.
Finally saw LTE in my area a month later (Dallas) but since then my service has hit an all time low. Ive been with Sprint 10 years and Friday i picked up a TMO sim card to test the waters with their coverage. Looks like i will be saying by to Sprint and hello to TMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt