Is Sprint really Floundering?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
AND THAT WAS????? Maybe u had a bad lemon but if u couldn't wait till nv I don't blame u for leaving

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It does when you live in that location. I'm not out to defend Sprint by any means, I have no incentive except to expect good service at a reasonable price. I've had my issues with them just as other customers have had issues with their carrier.

Like I said I think their heading in the right direction under Hesse. Things are looking up in the area where I live and I hope it spreads to other places. :)

Uh.

You seem offended that people say Sprint is "floundering" right now.

I re-read your posts in this thread. Sounds like you're trying to defend Sprint from that stigma and perception.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had my share of complaints with Sprint over the years ( roughly 8-9 yrs now) but when it comes down to it I have unlimited data which is a huge bonus for me with 3 daughters on cell phones.. LTE has been slow going but when your doing a complete overhaul of your network its expected. LTE upgrade in Chicago is somewhere around 60 % complete and not bad for the most part. I'm running a Sprint Galaxy Nexus and so is my daughter then my wife has a SGS 3 and LTE works great for us. My other two daughters have my old Epic 4g running off Wimax (4g) and the black sheep of the family has the iPhone 4.

If Sprint would just get their 3g improved to match the other carriers I wouldn't really have a complaint in the world.

At one time Sprint was top of the mountain, these days its been Verizon and AT&T. I'm sure given time Sprint could make a run at the top 2 spots again.

Floundering though? I don't see it... If anyone is floundering I see Verizon hurting more as time goes by with their poor treatment of customers, removal of unlimited packages and slow agonizing waits for updates on their most popular phones.

Very well said Paul! If you live in a great coverage area and have kids then your more than likely saving a lot! Its just to bad in VT we have no say on when we would have gotten the upgrades and/or LTE. Only Verizon serves LTE in the Burlington area! But its not a selling point for me personally. If Sprint had it on the list I would have waited more than likely.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Uh.

You seem offended that people say Sprint is "floundering" right now.

I re-read your posts in this thread. Sounds like you're trying to defend Sprint from that stigma and perception.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I think offended is bit too strong a word. I don't mind the criticisms, people have their gripes with Sprint which are perfectly justified in most cases. I have gripes to, but in my case the service has improved quite a bit. Like I said before I'm hoping that people who are frustrated with Sprint can enjoy what we're currently enjoying in the Chicagoland area and other parts of the country.

Personally based on my experience with Sprint I think they're underachieving more than floundeering. They now have the tools to make their network a success, they just have to keep doing what they're doing. Keep building out the network, keep their plans competitive,don't cap the data, offer the latest cutting edge devices and provide them with timely updates. Plus keep it up with great cutomer service.

Also, I am touched you had time to re-read all my posts to gauge my emotional state of mind LOL!

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think offended is bit too strong a word. I don't mind the criticisms, people have their gripes with Sprint which are perfectly justified in most cases. I have gripes to, but in my case the service has improved quite a bit. Like I said before I'm hoping that people who are frustrated with Sprint can enjoy what we're currently enjoying in the Chicagoland area and other parts of the country.

Personally based on my experience with Sprint I think they're underachieving more than floundeering. They now have the tools to make their network a success, they just have to keep doing what they're doing. Keep building out the network, keep their plans competitive,don't cap the data, offer the latest cutting edge devices and provide them with timely updates. Plus keep it up with great cutomer service.

Also, I am touched you had time to re-read all my posts to gauge my emotional state of mind LOL!

Chitown style bro they don't know nothing bout it haha. We are low key aholes:beer:

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like "floundering" was too strong of a word for you.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It is true that Sprint's 3G is awfully slow. But: the 3G should improve with the Network Vision upgrades due to the new backhaul, and besides they're putting LTE on every single tower, so you shouldn't ever have to fall back to 3G anyway.

The way AT&T and Verizon are implementing LTE is different: they are putting it on low frequency bands with wider coverage area, but that is allowing them to be selective and not put it on every tower. It will be a chore for those companies to do the full tower upgrades when they eventually have to do it for capacity, just a it is painful for Sprint now.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would also argue that AT&T is floundering. They seem to be way behind on LTE and it appears that without the iPhone, they're struggling for subscriptions. Sprint is very expensive considering the network issues and device selection issues. If you're going to play "the bargain" network, you should attempt to be substantially cheaper than your competition.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sort of off topic here in a sense but lets not forget Sprint is also the major name/sponsor of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series which despite your thoughts on NASCAR is a huge investment for Sprint and the return I'm sure has reaped decent rewards in new customers and pushing the Sprint product.

All being said I think Sprint has their eggs in the right baskets its just a matter of time for things to pool together like the buyout of ClearWire, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and many other ventures that will pay off in the end as Sprint completes the ongoing task of upgrading its entire network and yet still manages to remain an unlimited/non throttled carrier.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Sort of off topic here in a sense but lets not forget Sprint is also the major name/sponsor of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series which despite your thoughts on NASCAR is a huge investment for Sprint and the return I'm sure has reaped decent rewards in new customers and pushing the Sprint product.

All being said I think Sprint has their eggs in the right baskets its just a matter of time for things to pool together like the buyout of ClearWire, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and many other ventures that will pay off in the end as Sprint completes the ongoing task of upgrading its entire network and yet still manages to remain an unlimited/non throttled carrier.

Nba sponsorship is good. You can listen to games live withthe app too.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When speeds are only 30kbps you could argue everyone is being "throttled"...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
That's true in a sense. But that is due to sub par 3g network. Not Sprint intentionally throttling us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint isn't going anywhere folks.. If anything time is coming soon for one of the big two to fall back and others to step up.

It's a normal cycle we go thru every few years...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I would also argue that AT&T is floundering. They seem to be way behind on LTE and it appears that without the iPhone, they're struggling for subscriptions. Sprint is very expensive considering the network issues and device selection issues. If you're going to play "the bargain" network, you should attempt to be substantially cheaper than your competition.

It's funny how things work out. If I remember the story behind the first Iphone correctly. Apple actually hit up Verizon first about carrying it and they said no thanks. Then they hit up At&t and they said Ok (but the first Iphone wasn't subsidized). But from what I've read At&t had a solid 3rd quarter and had record sales for Android devices.

But yeah At&t is still rolling out their LTE network as well.

megamaster5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Decent Data speeds, good pricing. In a year it'll be great. Been told that for a while, but it's no reason to hate. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to build a whole new LTE network and when your competition has a huge leg up on you, it's hard to catch up. But Sprint will be there soon and I know it's worth the wait (and money).

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
It's more accurate to say that Sprint is being haunted by its past. Sprint's been in a tight position - owning a crappy network with limited spectrum, but not having the cash to do anything about it. Over the last 7 years Sprint's lost nearly $50 billion largely due the failed Nextel acquisition ($30 billion) and losses from operations ($19 billion). That's a HUGE chunk of change when you consider that they're only spending $7 billion on the network vision upgrade. The Nextel acquisition didn't pan out because while they did gain the 800 mhz spectrum, they were locked into using it for push-to-talk by the FCC and they lost 3.1 million customers in the deal.

Sprint couldn't choose LTE when they started down the WiMax road because they didn't have enough spectrum for FD-LTE and TD-LTE wasn't an option at that time. The FCC's change of heart letting Sprint move push-to-talk from a dedicated network to an app made it possible for Sprint to build an LTE network on the 800 mhz spectrum.

The current misery of slow 3G speeds is a combination of overselling service to MVNOs (to raise cash), offering and promoting unlimited data to most of their customers (to give them some reason to stay) and jumping in the iPhone (to slow the churn). While they are turning the network around it's going to take time.

While I applaud Sprint's move to LTE, they seem to be placing a priority on style over substance - announcing rollouts when only 20% of the towers in a market are converted, almost weekly announcements of new cities being added to the rollout list but no firm schedules for many regions. I don't give a rip about which 36 cities Sprint is starting upgrades on I care about my region. I think most users would just know when to expect LTE rather than the constant announcements that don't really say much.

The other customer oppression stems from the hardware fallout over their 4G u-turn. While I understand the WiMax spectrum is much more valuable if it's repurposed for TD-LTE that leaves many customers with some hard choices when selecting a new phone. I live in an area with excellent WiMax coverage, but no LTE and no indication from Sprint on when they plan on rolling it out. I can either get a 2-year old NEW WiMax phone to have something other than 3G knowing that I can use it through 2015 OR I can buy a shiny NEW LTE-equipped phone and be stuck using it on 3G (but still paying the $10/mo. premium data charge) until whenever Sprint decides to roll out 4G in my area. Would it be that hard to make a new WiMax phone or a new dual WiMax/4G phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca