Which phone to get?

romeytang

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am on an iPhone 5 right now and really want to get back to Android. I am having a tough time deciding on which phone I want. I am tossing between the GS3, Evo 4G LTE, and the Optimus G. I am not sold on the new Nature U/touchwiz with the GS3 but since I am sure Sprint isn't getting the Nexus 4 I think I am stuck with a skin either way.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Android phones on Sprint? Optimus G any good? It seems great on paper.

Thanks in advance for your help in advance.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
U can get a sprint Gnex online to hold u down till later on this year when the new batch of phones come out like the M7 s4 and so forth. My upgrade date is exactly on black Friday this year and I'm keeping my Gnex till then.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I am on an iPhone 5 right now and really want to get back to Android. I am having a tough time deciding on which phone I want. I am tossing between the GS3, Evo 4G LTE, and the Optimus G. I am not sold on the new Nature U/touchwiz with the GS3 but since I am sure Sprint isn't getting the Nexus 4 I think I am stuck with a skin either way.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Android phones on Sprint? Optimus G any good? It seems great on paper.

Thanks in advance for your help in advance.

IF you want a phone now then I would;d get the S3.

HOX/Evo LTE - Multitasking issues. Its a broken feature IMO. I'd look it up. However it has a great screen. No changeable battery either.

Optimus G - Looks solid. But I like a phone that will have a long term support. Not saying it wont but the s3 will for sure.

S3 - Great screen. SD card reader, changeable battery and an all around good feel in the hand! battery life is also pretty good. Hands down its the best choice of the 3 you listed. If size or money isn't an issue you may wanna look at the GN2 as well.

romeytang

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
IF you want a phone now then I would;d get the S3.

HOX/Evo LTE - Multitasking issues. Its a broken feature IMO. I'd look it up. However it has a great screen. No changeable battery either.

Optimus G - Looks solid. But I like a phone that will have a long term support. Not saying it wont but the s3 will for sure.

S3 - Great screen. SD card reader, changeable battery and an all around good feel in the hand! battery life is also pretty good. Hands down its the best choice of the 3 you listed. If size or money isn't an issue you may wanna look at the GN2 as well.

Thanks for the advice cgardner, forgot about the issues with the Evo 4G. I have an iPad Mini right now also. I am wondering if the Note 2 would be necessary with a tablet really close to the same size. Anyone think a 5" phone and a larger tablet would be a better combination.

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want something right now, I would go with the S3 and if you're not big on Touchwiz just download a new launcher, I myself would recommend Nova Prime but would suggest you downloading several different ones and setting what you like the best.

Sent from September 25 1985

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice cgardner, forgot about the issues with the Evo 4G. I have an iPad Mini right now also. I am wondering if the Note 2 would be necessary with a tablet really close to the same size. Anyone think a 5" phone and a larger tablet would be a better combination.

Great point! However I think the GN2 fits in your pocket just fine. I'd go to the store and play with the real models. Or if you have friends that have these phones check them out too. Just software wise for me made sell the HOX/EVO 4G LTE. The other 2 seem like good picks as well. I have a SIII and completely happy with it. But each person has their own needs! If I was getting a phone today the GN2 or the N4 would be on my list! (Again is size matters....You can beat the S3! Plus they have some good sales going on with them as well.)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want something right now, I would go with the S3 and if you're not big on Touchwiz just download a new launcher, I myself would recommend Nova Prime but would suggest you downloading several different ones and setting what you like the best.

Sent from September 25 1985

+1! This is some good advice for ANY phone that you end up with. TW does fine by me. I also have Nova prime and I like it as well.

romeytang

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the Note 2 also. The S-pen is really interesting to me since I like to make lots of notes. Probably would be good for some light reading with Pocket also. Might come down to price and availability (probably going through eBay). The S3 is a sexy device though.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mine is April 1st and I'm leaning towards the gn2 but love how the Nexus always gets the firmware updates right away.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Had the EVO LTE and had way too many problems to enjoy.. Sprint traded me out with the S3 and trust me... Im a convert!!
Really love this Samsung.. I also installed Nove Launcher Prime and it just helps the phone shine even more..

Cash Money Castro

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Selecting a phone is something that I think is really personal. IV absolutely love my EVO 4G LTE. To me the screen is better than anything else out there, it's plenty fast, and does everything in need it to do.

Two of my kids have GS3s, i don't like them as much as my phone, but they say the same thing about my evo.

You have to go and play with them to really get a chance to make an informed decision. And remember you get 14 days to test drive the phone, so if you don't like it, return it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Selecting a phone is something that I think is really personal. IV absolutely love my EVO 4G LTE. To me the screen is better than anything else out there, it's plenty fast, and does everything in need it to do.

Two of my kids have GS3s, i don't like them as much as my phone, but they say the same thing about my evo.

You have to go and play with them to really get a chance to make an informed decision. And remember you get 14 days to test drive the phone, so if you don't like it, return it.

+1 I'm in the same boat I love my Gnex despite the battery issues because I have a portable charger for some others that might be a dealbreaker for me its an improvement from my old phones (moto citrus zte score nexus s 4g) the only phone I had better battery was on my s2. I could get at least 9-10 hours easy.

Theis81

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Some very good points made already, just going to throw my two cents in since I recently got to test several Sprint phones.

I was surprised how impressed I was with the Evo 4G LTE, I only tested for 24hrs but the build quality and materials are fantastic, far above the S3 imo. Screen and video quality were very good as well. I know many take issue with HTC (slow updates, dev hate) so if you are going to mod you certainly want to take that into consideration.

I don't think anyone would argue the S3 being a solid choice, I am not a fan of the overall build quality, and the amount of people I know who have broken theirs is fairly large, but the device is light which is worth some points in my book as well.

I know nothing of the Optimus G, but I do like the Gnex suggestion. I got one about 3 weeks ago for work and for a device that is this old I couldn't believe how fluid the interface was, and the quickness. I should have gotten one a year ago.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Now is probably the worst time to be shopping for a new flagship (post-Christmas and before MWC). The phones on your shopping list are between 9 and 4 months old. Gasp! While that's not terrible by itself these phones represent incremental changes (faster processors, larger displays, more ram) more so than interesting new features (inductive charging, tri-band) and are mostly placeholders whose purpose was to make sure there something new to sell during the Christmas buying season. If you lock-in now you're more likely to regret it a year down the road than if you wait another 5 months or so.

Coming from an iPhone you probably haven't noticed that the android market has been seeing new phones with non user-replaceable batteries. Basically, anything new from HTC, LG and Motorola won't let you change the battery. If you're cool with not being able to hot-swap different batteries when you're on the road, don't mind sending your phone back to the manufacturer for 4-6 weeks with a $150 money order when the battery does wear out and don't care about resale value this may not concern you.

If I were in your shoes I'd pick up a GN2 for now and watch MWC closely.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Some very good points made already, just going to throw my two cents in since I recently got to test several Sprint phones.

I was surprised how impressed I was with the Evo 4G LTE, I only tested for 24hrs but the build quality and materials are fantastic, far above the S3 imo. Screen and video quality were very good as well. I know many take issue with HTC (slow updates, dev hate) so if you are going to mod you certainly want to take that into consideration.

I don't think anyone would argue the S3 being a solid choice, I am not a fan of the overall build quality, and the amount of people I know who have broken theirs is fairly large, but the device is light which is worth some points in my book as well.

I know nothing of the Optimus G, but I do like the Gnex suggestion. I got one about 3 weeks ago for work and for a device that is this old I couldn't believe how fluid the interface was, and the quickness. I should have gotten one a year ago.

That's why I said that lol. U hit it on the head even though this phone is over a year old I have no phone envy at all and am content till black Friday.

romeytang

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I probably didn't say this before but I'll be buying the phone off contract, whichever one I choose. For me it was coming down to which ones are the newest with best specs right now. I'd probably end up buying something newer in 6 months anyway (damn gadget obsession). I like the idea of a Note 2, GS 3 or the Optimus G since they really have the best processors that are available right now.

The Note 2 is looking really good and since most new phones coming out will be at least 5 inches may as well get the S pen functions the Note has included, otherwise the phone will just be big for no other reason than to be big; least the Note 2 has extra functions for that size.

Thanks for the input I still gotta play around with the note some more just to make sure the size won't be a large problem (pun intended).

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I probably didn't say this before but I'll be buying the phone off contract, whichever one I choose. For me it was coming down to which ones are the newest with best specs right now. I'd probably end up buying something newer in 6 months anyway (damn gadget obsession). I like the idea of a Note 2, GS 3 or the Optimus G since they really have the best processors that are available right now.

The Note 2 is looking really good and since most new phones coming out will be at least 5 inches may as well get the S pen functions the Note has included, otherwise the phone will just be big for no other reason than to be big; least the Note 2 has extra functions for that size.

Thanks for the input I still gotta play around with the note some more just to make sure the size won't be a large problem (pun intended).

The Optimus G is the flagship phone right now but if you are ever going to want to root and ROM do not get it. I suggest eBay or swappa.com if you are going off contract. I have the S3 and I love it, there is a huge developer community for this phone so I can always make it feel new and up to date. I have a upgrade July 1 so I will probably be getting the S4? Personally the note 2 is too big. I would probably love it if I had something like a desk job or business. I work on the go doing very physical work so a phone that big is not practical to carry around. I'm still contemplating leaving Sprint and going with something like Straight Talk and getting the Nexus device every year. Enjoy whatever you get and let us know what you decide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

romeytang

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus G is the flagship phone right now but if you are ever going to want to root and ROM do not get it. I suggest eBay or swappa.com if you are going off contract. I have the S3 and I love it, there is a huge developer community for this phone so I can always make it feel new and up to date. I have a upgrade July 1 so I will probably be getting the S4? Personally the note 2 is too big. I would probably love it if I had something like a desk job or business. I work on the go doing very physical work so a phone that big is not practical to carry around. I'm still contemplating leaving Sprint and going with something like Straight Talk and getting the Nexus device every year. Enjoy whatever you get and let us know what you decide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the thoughts. I am really not sure on the Note myself. I def don't have the hands to be able to grip it one handed. I am sure you'd get used to it I almost prefer to be able to use my phone one handed if need be. But I am gonna try again to play at the Sprint store and see what it feels like (Best Buy had that darn security device on it.)

I've never heard of Swappa.com. Is it safer than Craigslist? What about security? Thanks again for the help.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am on Verizon but the Note2 is amazing. I have it. Vest device I gave had and I still love using my 10.1 tablet. My tab is what made be get the Note2

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781