Tax increase as of 4/1/13 - Get out of your contract and ETF!

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
From the XDA forums:

1. Effective 4/1/13, Sprint will be changing tax systems for charges such as insurance & premium content. This update may cause an increase of taxes and/or surcharges on your bill for these products. For details of taxes & surcharges, visit sprint.com/taxesandfees ."

2. A surcharge increase would be a change in contract on sprint's part, allowing you to get out without paying an Early Termination Fee. A tax increase would not be considered a "change in contract."

3. Surcharge increases vary regionally.

'4. Per sprint: Your Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, discounts, coverage, technologies used to provide services, or your terms of Service. We will provide you notice of material changes?and we may provide you notice of non-material changes?in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.

5. You may be able to get sprint to note that your contract is "FULFILLED" without terminating your contract, and leaving sprint. Your Mileage Might Vary (YMMV). This may allow you to get perks such as phone upgrades, etc.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seem like they are adding any charges, so I doubt anyone will get an ETF waived over this.

I think so. A surcharge is like you $10 premium data fee. If they, let's say, upped that to $20 that's a change.. And you got 30 days to get out. He mentioned they are changing their surcharge. If it was only taxes changing then you'd be right.. Couldn't get out.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If they raise the prices on everyone the etf should be waived. But more realistically the increase will apply to new contracts. Existing ones won't change. Would be stupid on sprints part letting millions out of contract free and clear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Since when has Sprint ever worried about being or doing stupid things?

You're definitely right :D

I hope something changes so I can get out of my contract!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Already chatted with them online and they said that I would be able to get out of my contract 30 days AFTER 4/1/13 increase. I am keeping the transcript so I can show them.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Already chatted with them online and they said that I would be able to get out of my contract 30 days AFTER 4/1/13 increase. I am keeping the transcript so I can show them.

The only problem with that is that CS reps don't have the last word, nor do the typically have the right information.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Either way I'm still going to try to end my contact even if I'm staying. This way by end of year if the lte or 3g in my area doesn't work like planned I can cancel, sell my note 2 and get the note 2 or note 3 from tmobile.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Either way I'm still going to try to end my contact even if I'm staying. This way by end of year if the lte or 3g in my area doesn't work like planned I can cancel, sell my note 2 and get the note 2 or note 3 from tmobile.

I don't think they let you out of your contract and let you keep your line(s). If you terminate you are terminated.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they let you out of your contract and let you keep your line(s). If you terminate you are terminated.

I didn't say I was terminating. I said end my contract agreement which means going month to month. I didn't say cancel. I've done it before and never canceled. It's just good to have that option available.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say I was terminating. I said end my contract agreement which means going month to month. I didn't say cancel. I've done it before and never canceled. It's just good to have that option available.

But if you have a subsidized phone, they won't let you cancel the contract and keep the phone.

If you paid for the phone outright you might be able to do it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
But if you have a subsidized phone, they won't let you cancel the contract and keep the phone.

Yikes, never thought of that one. This would suck: "We'll gladly let you out of your contract for free Mr Yankeeusa, however you will need to pay us $450 for that Note 2, or hand it over and we will determine it's condition and how much you might owe us for wear and tear."

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

I have already done this before when they upped the administrative charge. I had purchased the Evo 3d subsidized and they didn't give me any problems. Plus all I did was switch to month to month. I never terminated my contract. It was just piece of mind knowing wasn't tied down. I will do the same this time. So far Sprint in my area is getting better so chances are I will stay. Plus, a change in contract terms breaks the contract no matter what. It's up to them to decide if they will come after you if your actually terminating everything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have already done this before when they upped the administrative charge. I had purchased the Evo 3d subsidized and they didn't give me any problems. Plus all I did was switch to month to month. I never terminated my contract. It was just piece of mind knowing wasn't tied down. I will do the same this time. So far Sprint in my area is getting better so chances are I will stay. Plus, a change in contract terms breaks the contract no matter what. It's up to them to decide if they will come after you if your actually terminating everything.

Might want to watch your wording as you can confuse people.. "I never terminated my contract.." then "peace of mind knowing I wasn't tied down".

So you did cancel contract but not service. Not trying to split hairs but some people may not get the lingo and wonder what your talking about.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just got confirmation this morning that they will be letting me out of my contract without any ETF for both of our lines. We do not have any 4G LTE coverage for 9 states around us (Colorado) so I will be going over to either Verizon or AT&T. So it does work to get out of your contract, you just have 30 days to do after the price increase.

linda newman

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
thats great!!! they are still telling me I can't opt out of my contract because of the new fees being applied by Sprint. They are telling me Surcharges and Taxes could go up at anytime and I just have to deal with it... I live in VA and we are getting terrible service with all the towers down. My son lives in NC and get none at all on his phone. A Friend of mine also just got out of her contract early with no ETF fees also. I will keep plugging away at it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2