Can this be done?

chronic illusionz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's the scenario. My girlfriend has a Galaxy S2 and wants a Note 2 but is ineligible for an upgrade. My friend's mother wants a Galaxy S2 (doesn't want to pay for a Note 2) and IS eligible for an upgrade.

Would Sprint allow his mother to upgrade to the Note 2 (giving her the money) and have the S2 and N2 switched? Or is there a certain waiting period until an ESN can be changed on an account?

I hope the way I worded it isn't too confusing.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's the scenario. My girlfriend has a Galaxy S2 and wants a Note 2 but is ineligible for an upgrade. My friend's mother wants a Galaxy S2 (doesn't want to pay for a Note 2) and IS eligible for an upgrade.

Would Sprint allow his mother to upgrade to the Note 2 (giving her the money) and have the S2 and N2 switched? Or is there a certain waiting period until an ESN can be changed on an account?

They shouldn't care. I've done a similar phone swap deal like that.

Sent from my GS3 running Wicked Sensations...

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem. They should just swap the numbers from one phone to another, but I'd call before heading up there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem. They should just swap the numbers from one phone to another, but I'd call before heading up there.

Do this.

Have the person upgrade and whatnot... Then after go home and call Sprint and say you want a "line swap". (make sure both account holders are present). Then you are good to go.

If you are not on the same family plan this is the best way. My bro and me are on our own individual plans and they wouldn't let his upgrade go to me.. So we went to a new store.. He upgraded.. Then we went home, called, and did the line swap. Easy as pie.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

chronic illusionz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Will do that this week. I've done swapping phones before (line swap) but wasn't sure it would be the same right after an upgrade/activation.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Will do that this week. I've done swapping phones before (line swap) but wasn't sure it would be the same right after an upgrade/activation.

The only difference will be your girl friend will be eligible for an upgrade before your friend's mother will be. I would just make sure your friend's mother realizes that she won't be eligible for an upgrade for 20 months (or whatever it is these days).

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't tell them you plan to do that. There are some reps that won't so that for you. I would call in as said in a previous post.

Also, they don't always catch this, but technically, doing this will waive both the 14 day return/exchange period and make you ineligible for any mail in rebates (if it isn't all instant rebates). You can still usually get around this by calling in after you get the post card declining your request, but it's still a hassle. I believe the note is all instant rebates, though.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

It's doable. My mom upgraded to an iPhone then gave it to my sister. At the Sprint store they were able to do it without having to activate on my mom's account and then swapping it. They did the swap before any activations I think. Either way, this can be done at least it was allowed a year ago.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was told that before you can switch a newly purchased phone to a different number/line there is a period of time you have to wait. I don't remember how long, maybe 6 weeks or something like that. Unfortunately your friends mom might get attached to the note 2. Proceed with caution and good luck.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The waiting period is for the $50 mail in rebate eligibility. If it's a $200 or more phone, that's irrelevant.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm this can be done. Wife swapped her old line & phone to a new line we opened up. Basically a switch-a-roo like your talking about so she could get an S3 for the new line discount then swapped it the next day with her old phone number. We took her old Epic 4g and put it on the new line and gave it to our daughter.

Sprint was very cool about it and gave us no problem.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
What other major carrier has ever had the kind of payment plans like T-Mobile is implementing

The payment plan isn't relevant. At the end of the day, you are paying approximately the same dollar amount over a two year period for similar services.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs