Swapping phones

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The title may be a bit misleading, but I didn't know how to summarize what I want to ask. My brother has a Note 2 with Sprint, and he's thinking of skipping out on his bill and going to T-Mobile. My question is, can I use his Note 2 even though he hasn't cancelled his service? Is there a certain time frame I need to wait? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you could. You and him can call Sprint... (888) 211-4727... And just say my brother and me want to swap phones on our lines. Make sure you both are there because they will want to verify each of your accounts.. Once that is done just do what they say and your good.

You will basically just swap your phone to his line because they won't let him not have a phone since he has a line.. But doesn't matter he can just cancel later and go wherever and you can enjoy your note 2 :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The title may be a bit misleading, but I didn't know how to summarize what I want to ask. My brother has a Note 2 with Sprint, and he's thinking of skipping out on his bill and going to T-Mobile. My question is, can I use his Note 2 even though he hasn't cancelled his service? Is there a certain time frame I need to wait? Thanks for your help.

First question is by "skipping out on his bill" are you really saying what I think you are? Just not paying and letting it go to collections, etc?

If you aren't then his ETF will include a portion of the subsidized price of his Note 2. He will have to pay that whether the phone is still on his line or not.

If you are, then good luck and thanks for keeping our prices high!

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
First question is by "skipping out on his bill" are you really saying what I think you are? Just not paying and letting it go to collections, etc?

If you aren't then his ETF will include a portion of the subsidized price of his Note 2. He will have to pay that whether the phone is still on his line or not.

If you are, then good luck and thanks for keeping our prices high!

Yes, that is what he plans on doing. I told him it would go to collections, but he is young and doesn't care. It is not my decision, nor my credit being affected. I'm just taking advantage and getting an awesome phone.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is what he plans on doing. I told him it would go to collections, but he is young and doesn't care. It is not my decision, nor my credit being affected. I'm just taking advantage and getting an awesome phone.

But, they will come after the Note 2. Probably blacklist the ESN and you will be out of a phone. Not too mention they might terminate your service and come after you too. It's a dicey situation, if he wants to do it I would stay away from his phone.

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
But, they will come after the Note 2. Probably blacklist the ESN and you will be out of a phone. Not too mention they might terminate your service and come after you too. It's a dicey situation, if he wants to do it I would stay away from his phone.

That's what I thought would happen as well. Thank you for answering my questions.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I don't think he understands how this will affect him later on.

Well hopefully his older brother can talk him out of it. Just point out this will absolutely ruin his credit and he won't be able to finance that new sports car he wants to buy. ;-)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what has been said here... If he just plans on skipping out on his contract then I would stay away from that fire.. Sprint will blacklist the phone (ESN), his credit will be hit, and it won't be a nice looking hit skipping out on a contract/monthly bill and walking with the phone.

Creditors especially today with the economy and all look at things 10x worse than years ago and a mark like that on his credit will haunt him for years and even once its cleaned up it still takes years to get removed completely from showing up on your credit report (normal is usually 7 years).

Not to mention that mark on his credit, moving to another carrier can bite him in the behind too.. He may get in the door initially at TMobile or some other carrier but they do random credit checks ' inquiries ' just like any creditor on your name and once they see a hit like that from Sprint they can turn and drop him on the spot too... As for those inquiries anyone who has ever ran their credit and received the full credit report will see usually the last few pages of a credit report say Experian or Equafax, etc. will be all the current creditor on your name that have done random inquiries over time to see how your credit is looking and they don't need permission to do so either ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow. Yeah I didn't even read into it.. I thought you meant just canceling so my advice is good for that.. Simple phone swap..

Skipping on the bill and just stopping will definitely get the ESN blocked so don't do it. Try and talk sense into your brother... Like really.. Credit is everything. My dad taught me when I was young now and at the age of 25 I have excellent credit... I just bought a house (3 bed 2 bath) and my credit helped a ton in getting a loan.. Was extremely easy. So yeah try and knock some sense into him.. Not always possible.. But try at least :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what has been said here... If he just plans on skipping out on his contract then I would stay away from that fire.. Sprint will blacklist the phone (ESN), his credit will be hit, and it won't be a nice looking hit skipping out on a contract/monthly bill and walking with the phone.

Creditors especially today with the economy and all look at things 10x worse than years ago and a mark like that on his credit will haunt him for years and even once its cleaned up it still takes years to get removed completely from showing up on your credit report (normal is usually 7 years).

Not to mention that mark on his credit, moving to another carrier can bite him in the behind too.. He may get in the door initially at TMobile or some other carrier but they do random credit checks ' inquiries ' just like any creditor on your name and once they see a hit like that from Sprint they can turn and drop him on the spot too... As for those inquiries anyone who has ever ran their credit and received the full credit report will see usually the last few pages of a credit report say Experian or Equafax, etc. will be all the current creditor on your name that have done random inquiries over time to see how your credit is looking and they don't need permission to do so either ;)

A company like tmobile without contracts will not drop you. And most companies only do an initial check on credit. I worked for Verizon and they only did credit check once. They don't care after that.
As far as him leaving Sprint high and dry, if you were to swap phones on the account before the account became delinquent you could use the note 2 without it being blocked. Example: put a cheap flip phone on the account and the note 2 would be free and clear. The flip phone would be the one that would have the esn blacklisted.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

domo22

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
He should just sell the note 2 and pay the etf without ruining his credit. It would be the same thing as giving you the phone and ruining his credit. The only person that loses out is you ( no note 2 for you) :)

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
He should just sell the note 2 and pay the etf without ruining his credit. It would be the same thing as giving you the phone and ruining his credit. The only person that loses out is you ( no note 2 for you) :)

I agree. Or he could just call Sprint and make some type of payment arrangement. But it just sounds like he's the kind of person that may just continue accruing debt and then blame it on collectors and file bankruptcy. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2