Dish puts in a $25.5 billion offer for Sprint

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sounds pretty good. Better than SoftBank in my opinion.
Dish Offers to Buy Sprint, Joining Phone to TV Service - NYTimes.com
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You must mean a different thing than I do when you say 'better'. Dish Network doesn't have a clue where they're going as a company. They've had multiple lawsuits that they allowed to interrupt product delivered to consumers, they are currently offering cell phones and packages from all 4 carriers online, they own Blockbuster and have a by-mail dvd/blu-ray service. They also own random spectrum that the government refused to allow them to re-purpose for an LTE network. I think this is a desperate grab by a poorly run company to make themselves relevant again as they flounder in many different markets. This will not end well for Sprint or their customers. Dish is not known for their customer service or reliability.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You must mean a different thing than I do when you say 'better'. Dish Network doesn't have a clue where they're going as a company. They've had multiple lawsuits that they allowed to interrupt product delivered to consumers, they are currently offering cell phones and packages from all 4 carriers online, they own Blockbuster and have a by-mail dvd/blu-ray service. They also own random spectrum that the government refused to allow them to re-purpose for an LTE network. I think this is a desperate grab by a poorly run company to make themselves relevant again as they flounder in many different markets. This will not end well for Sprint or their customers. Dish is not known for their customer service or reliability.

It is going to help Sprint because Sprint will benefit over two companies competing to buy them. I think SoftBank will finalize the deal and complete buying Sprint, if they have the money.

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It is going to help Sprint because Sprint will benefit over two companies competing to buy them. I think SoftBank will finalize the deal and complete buying Sprint, if they have the money.

I'm pretty sure the Softbank has well over $40-50 billion USD in assets and higher income than Dish as well. Not to mention, comparatively very little debt compared to Dish's $30 billion or so.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
This will either make Softbank back out or they will sweeten the deal for Sprint to make sure they get it. Even though it sounds good to have dish and Sprint together Sprint has more of a chance if they merge with Softbank.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I really hope Dish network is not in the future of Sprint. If so I'm glad I jumped ship! Lets hope they stick it out with Softbank.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I think that if dish could get things right they could do a lot with sprint and vise Vera but I couldn't agree more about how they run there business then again they also have a few things that I think are great like the hopper and support for sling so it could be really good for sprint but at the same time so is softbank

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
1. A sad, desperate act.
2. NEVER going to happen.
3. Expect to see Charlie Ergen starring in, "art films" by year-end.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see Sprint going with them. Softbank is pretty established so they would be the better choice.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Like many others, I'm also really hoping that Dish won't be the future of Sprint. I could see Dish being more focused on trying to make bundles with their television packages and Sprint service than on actually improving Sprint's network. As someone who doesn't subscribe to television service, I couldn't see that being a benefit to me.

On the other hand, I could more readily believe that SoftBank will focus on Sprint's network and keeping their customers happy.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Each company's track records speak for themselves.

SoftBank pulled a struggling carrier from the brink of bankruptcy to a very competitive third place challenger that now has enough money to buy a controlling stake in an established, major US carrier. They have clear goals and a plethora of possible new business directions.

Dish, on the other hand, is closing a majority of Blockbuster locations, while struggling to establish Blockbuster (who used to be the de facto movie rental business) against Netflix and even RedBox, who themselves are struggling to compete with Netflix. They are hemorrhaging money as they try to find ways to compete against cable companies, AT&T, and even DirecTV in an era of IPTV, The Pirate Bay, and Google/Apple TV.

As has been pointed out, Dish has no clear direction here, and no idea how to compete in a changing market. And considering how drastically the current mobile device landscape is changing, that's a huge disadvantage. SoftBank is definitely, clearly the best choice in the long term. Unfortunately, once the shareholders see those dollar signs, it's hard to ignore them, and it may prove ultimately too tempting. If Dish can pump enough money into this deal, I'm sure they can persuade a substantial share of the investors. After all, aren't they investing precisely so they can make huge profits off of deals like this? And we know how shortsighted folks can get with dead presidents waving in front of their eyes. The long term becomes irrelevant.

Frankly, I'm hoping the shareholders make the right choice, but I'm prepared to leave if Dish wins. T-Mobile may not be perfect, but it isn't Dish.

Last edited:

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Softbank is an awesome company and they are already talking smack about what they plan to do with Sprint. It's a far better deal long term.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith