HTC 1 or Galaxy S4

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the One. It's personal opinion. I can see this getting out of hand, so can we try to keep this civil. In all honesty, they are all really good phones.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that either one is a good phone, though I'm on the S4 side.

The fact that there's no ext microsd and removable battery on the One is a deal breaker for me. I always get external memory for media and extended battery. I'm not a fan of the cheap plastic feel of Samsung products but I don't believe that it affects the durability of the phone. I also like multi-view, which I have on my Samsung 10.1. I believe its also on the S4(also on the S3 but not available on my model unless I flash it with a custom rom). I also think there will be more accessories for the S4 because it will be more popular. Not because it's a better phone, just because right now Samsung is dominating the market. I honestly hope the HTC One does better than the S4 because competition always breeds innovation. Plus it would be nice to see HTC back in the game.

The HTC is better built and aesthetically does look better to me, and I also like the front facing speakers. As far as the UI, I use 3rd party launchers so that's a wash.
I did read a thread on XDA about how when you use the HTC One for navigation that it used more power than it was getting while charging. So after a couple of hours you would run out of power even while plugged in. I'm sure that if it's true it can be fixed with an update but that would be another deal breaker for me if it didn't. I have an S3 and use Navigation and Pandora with the screen brightness set to full(to offset the sunlight) while driving almost on a daily basis. Even with all of that running it still is getting more power then it's using.

Plus I'm on Verizon, so I guess I wouldn't have that choice anyway and I would never switch carriers just for a phone.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree that either one is a good phone, though I'm on the S4 side.

The fact that there's no ext microsd and removable battery on the One is a deal breaker for me. I always get external memory for media and extended battery. I'm not a fan of the cheap plastic feel of Samsung products but I don't believe that it affects the durability of the phone. I also like multi-view, which I have on my Samsung 10.1. I believe its also on the S4(also on the S3 but not available on my model unless I flash it with a custom rom). I also think there will be more accessories for the S4 because it will be more popular. Not because it's a better phone, just because right now Samsung is dominating the market. I honestly hope the HTC One does better than the S4 because competition always breeds innovation. Plus it would be nice to see HTC back in the game.

The HTC is better built and aesthetically does look better to me, and I also like the front facing speakers. As far as the UI, I use 3rd party launchers so that's a wash.
I did read a thread on XDA about how when you use the HTC One for navigation that it used more power than it was getting while charging. So after a couple of hours you would run out of power even while plugged in. I'm sure that if it's true it can be fixed with an update but that would be another deal breaker for me if it didn't. I have an S3 and use Navigation and Pandora with the screen brightness set to full(to offset the sunlight) while driving almost on a daily basis. Even with all of that running it still is getting more power then it's using.

Plus I'm on Verizon, so I guess I wouldn't have that choice anyway and I would never switch carriers just for a phone.

Multi-view is available on the Sprint S3 and S4. If you have the S3 and have not received the MD4 update you can do it manually. Watch this. Manually Install Official Android 4.1.2 MD4 on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
As far as the HTC One vs. S4 I'm in the same boat, trying to decide what phone to get. I have spent some time with each of these phones so I have hands on personal experience. I'm leaning toward the S4, here's why
S4 benefits
1.Removable battery 2.micro sd card 3.Software/firmware updates ships with Android 4.2.2 4. The look of Touchwiz along with features have improved, I don't not like Sense 5 or blinkfeed. There is some flaws in how Sense runs but I'm sure they will fix the issues soon. The S4 is easier to fix and more durable, just wait I guarantee there will be problems with the One, people complaining about scratches on the screen (no Gorilla Glass on the One) and the body. The S4 has very durable plastic, that I will have a case on anyway and Gorilla Glass 3. The camera is better on the S4 unless you take a lot of pics in the dark, in that case I ask, why do you take pics in the dark? I lost count of my nuber listing system but I will keep going..... The S4 actually feels good in the hand, in my opinion a lot better than the S3 and my goodness is it freakin light. Balancing weight throughout the device has a huge impact on how it feels and I think Samsung did a very good job with this in the S4. Like with my Nexus 7 I can take two fingers and balance it easily because the weight is even. To me the benefits of the One are it looks great, and has loud speakers, but the S4 is plenty loud for me, all I would use it for is navigation and listening to a podcast every once in a while, I have big speakers on all my devices or headphones for anything else. To me as much as everyone says about how gimmicky Samsung is with their software, I feel thats how HTC is king of with the Beats speakers or the 4.0 megapixel camera. I'm sorry Megapixels don't mean very much in photography but 4 is not enough. I heat the Ones battery life is not good either So there is my little review/ HTC One bashing, but honestly I'm not 100% sure if I want to get the S4 over the One.

Last edited:

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I would chose the One, in my personal opinion. I don't watch movies much on my phone as I have an iPad and a laptop so SD card wouldn't be a problem for me. Plus, as an ex-iPhone user, I got used to phones with no sd card. The battery life on the HTC One has been good until now, it easily lasts through a day. So it's really up to you to choose which one.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a few extra minutes while I was out yesterday and walked into a Sprint store to check out the new phones. They let me play with both and I came away really impressed with the HTC1. The S4 is very nice too but the build of the One is amazing. I would suggest going to a store and playing with both before deciding.

Either way I'm not sure there is a wrong answer. Both are great phones and have a few differences that separate the two. Do you prefer one skin over the other? Do you prefer build quality and a great audio multimedia experience over an sd card and removable battery? It's a great time to be a consumer, good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, I haven't seen the one in my hands. I believe is a matter of personal preference.
Samsung hasn't given me any problems to this day. We been samsung and iphone users and I love changes lol
I just got my note 2 a month or so ago but not on my old line that's upgradable still... And my husband as well. It's just what ever you want. Lucky we live in times to pick and choose =)
Changing batteries was not something I do or did but I want one for my note 2.
I was at softball game all day yesterday and my phone barely made it from 8am to 830pm... And yes I used gps to get there and back.. I find the car charger is ridiculous for the note 2 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
1. I think the most telling quote I've seen about this was, "The HTC One is at least as good as the Galaxy S3". Building a product as good as the market leader a year later isn't going to cut it for HTC. Granted, there are some incremental upgrades to the One over the S3, but there are also some limitations (no user-replaceable battery, no SD card) and then there's the S4. You'd only have wait a year to HTC's copy of that except HTC doesn't have another year.

2. Every board has its biases - I get a real kick out of reading BGR's propaganda for Windows Phone. This board (and a few others) have bent over backwards to make the One appear to be a major new phone. It's just not happening though - HTC's Q1 shipments slump 37%. The One was released in February so their sales are included, but only for about half of the period. Overall, smartphone sales were up 38% for Q1.

3. If you're a die-hard HTC fan and can overlook not being able to use an SD card or change the battery you may be happy with the One, but the stench of death coming out of Taiwan is getting stronger every day. The One will probably be the last HTC flagship phone. Lenovo, Amazon, Google, HP or Samsung will pay a pretty penny for their patents, but support for legacy devices will be non-existent so you'll have to depend on xda and CM for ROM upgrades.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Tough call. Went to Best Buy today to look at the SG4. Nice phone. Top end phone. But better than the One? Not sure. More software additions, but not sure i can justify it. Even the sales rep said he would take the One over the SG4. I will keep the One this week and revisit the phones next week.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you can't go wrong with either phone. I personally went with the One and love it. I love the front facing stereo speakers, get a full day out of the battery and the build quality is sweet.

I would say if a removable battery and/or sd card are big deals for you then go with the S4, if they aren't then the One probably wins.

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the GS3 and have been looking at both these phones. While both of them appear to be good phone's, honestly neither of them blow me away. If I'm going to be paying full price for a phone (which I am willing to do) I want to wait and see if something better comes along over the summer. Maybe they'll release a nexus on sprint this year. Who knows, I just know I'm not enamored with either phone. I'm fine waiting til next year to get one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you can't go wrong with either phone. I personally went with the One and love it. I love the front facing stereo speakers, get a full day out of the battery and the build quality is sweet.

I would say if a removable battery and/or sd card are big deals for you then go with the S4, if they aren't then the One probably wins.

I agree with this. Both phones are great.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Q1 shipments slump 37%[/URL]. The One was released in February so their sales are included, but only for about half of the period.

Not exactly true now is it. Sure the HTC One was announced in Feb and was released in some areas in March but it didn't hit the US till April.

I could go on but what's the point...

Bottom line is both phones are pretty great for their own reasons and just because you don't care for The One's features don't mean the next person won't

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends on which phone sprint gives more praise too. Look at the evo lte, it launched almost at the same time as the s3 and got very little advertising from sprint. If sprint does the same thing thus year, it may not sell very well on sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I could go on but what's the point...

Reading comprehension not your thing? Let me try to explain it at a level you can understand:

HTC's sales are down 37% from last year, this is a bad thing.
If too many bad things happen to a company the company goes bye, bye.
If you buy their phone and they go bye, bye you get no support, no software updates and no replacement parts.

For the folks who didn't learn to read from Hooked on Phonics products:

HTC was on a downward spiral through 2012:

First Quarter sales dropped 35%.
Second Quarter sales dropped 28%
3rd Quarter profits dropped 79%
4th Quarter revenue dropped 41% - lowest since 2004

To the fanboys who say, "Big deal, they're still profitable." I say once the money starts drying up it's not just executive bonuses that take the hit:

HTC's gross margins slid from 28 percent to 25 percent in 2012, forcing it to cut R&D spending by 15 percent, advertising/marketing by nearly 45 percent, and administrative overhead by 30 percent.

HTC's One delayed because suppliers think it's 'no longer a tier-one customer,'

Part of the deal with the HTC One is the very real possibility that HTC won't be around for another 12 months and you will get stuck with a phone that doesn't have support.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like the Samsung bootloaders are locked. So no ROMs for the S4. This sucks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade isn't until June 1, so I'll be watching both communities to see problems/likes/issues etc... My inclination at the moment is to go with the One, but the S4 does look tempting. My only experience with HTC has been the Treo Pro, which was manufactured by HTC for Palm, and was very happy with that. My Samsung experience has been greater, starting with feature phones to the Moment, Epic 4G and presently the Nexus. While not a huge fan of Touchwiz, it's easily changed via different launcher. My biggest complaint/concern is the radio strength. I'm on my third (and most lilkely final Nexus) due to radio issues (random loss of data, dropped calls, broken up calls) but this one is behaving well so far. If I weren't so impatient, I would wait and see if Sprint gets a premium smartphone from Motorola. My Photon was/is rock solid and had the best radio I've ever seen. So basically, I'm still undecided, but have leanings towards the One....for now.