Is sprint REALLY cheaper than Verizon?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay so depending on the number of lines, etc. in general from least expensive to most expensive is T-Mobile then Verizon then Sprint then AT&T? So answer to the question, again and again, is no, Sprint is not cheaper than Verizon; however T-Mobile is better than either if they have good service where you live.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon charges 40.00 per phone. Then what the data plan would be.
Tablet would be 10.00 monthly. Not mine tho!! I just use the data. Mine is wifi.
Verizon gives the corporate discount on data and accessories. I am saving on being on share everything
you may pay more but they are best.
Have been with them forever. Very happy

sent from my amazing Note2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay so depending on the number of lines, etc. in general from least expensive to most expensive is T-Mobile then Verizon then Sprint then AT&T? So answer to the question, again and again, is no, Sprint is not cheaper than Verizon; however T-Mobile is better than either if they have good service where you live.

We pay for 5 lines on our sprint account and our bill is $270 every month. My dad and sister have 2 lines on their account at Verizon with unlimited talk and text + 4gb shared data and their bill every month is around $220, they don't go over on their data.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We pay for 5 lines on our sprint account and our bill is $270 every month. My dad and sister have 2 lines on their account at Verizon with unlimited talk and text + 4gb shared data and their bill every month is around $220, they don't go over on their data.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Weird, I thought we just figured out Sprint would total out at like $550 for that. Do you have an old plan or not unlimited everything? This is confusing and it shouldn't be. There should be a chart. Was there an error in the chart on the first page? I'm going to make one. Won't take long.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
965229_10151647856247888_85563892_o.jpg

T-Mobile is by far the best option for their unlimited plan. The rest of the inputs ignore T-Mobile because of this. Nothing comes anywhere close to them.

Sprint undercuts Verizon and AT&T on 1 line then quickly becomes the most expensive, and by a lot, on all other tiers, regardless of how much data you purchase on AT&T and Verizon.
With 4GB of data, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon are virtually identical, but stepping up to 10GB on 1 line gives Sprint the lead in that chart. Any other choice, no matter what you do, Sprint is the worst and by a lot.
Verizon and AT&T are identical with 4GB of data. With 10GB of data, AT&T is cheaper than Verizon for every plan with 3 or more lines. With 2 lines they're equal, with 1 line Verizon is cheaper. This happens because it is $10 less per line on AT&T, while Verizon starts their tier off $10 cheaper.

By # of lines:
If you are going to get 1 line of service and only 4GB of data, it doesn't matter who you choose. Sprint is cheaper if you are a big data consumer.
If you're going to get 2 lines, no matter what AT&T and Verizon are equal and both cheaper than Sprint.
If you're going to get 3 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.
If you're going to get 4 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.
If you're going to get 5 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.

To directly answer the question of the initial post: With 5 lines of service, Sprint is $207 more expensive than the next most expensive, Verizon. That margin slims by $59 for every line less than 5, until at a single line, Sprint is the better value.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/965229_10151647856247888_85563892_o.jpg

T-Mobile is by far the best option for their unlimited plan. The rest of the inputs ignore T-Mobile because of this. Nothing comes anywhere close to them.

Sprint undercuts Verizon and AT&T on 1 line then quickly becomes the most expensive, and by a lot, on all other tiers, regardless of how much data you purchase on AT&T and Verizon.
With 4GB of data, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon are virtually identical, but stepping up to 10GB on 1 line gives Sprint the lead in that chart. Any other choice, no matter what you do, Sprint is the worst and by a lot.
Verizon and AT&T are identical with 4GB of data. With 10GB of data, AT&T is cheaper than Verizon for every plan with 3 or more lines. With 2 lines they're equal, with 1 line Verizon is cheaper. This happens because it is $10 less per line on AT&T, while Verizon starts their tier off $10 cheaper.

By # of lines:
If you are going to get 1 line of service and only 4GB of data, it doesn't matter who you choose. Sprint is cheaper if you are a big data consumer.
If you're going to get 2 lines, no matter what AT&T and Verizon are equal and both cheaper than Sprint.
If you're going to get 3 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.
If you're going to get 4 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.
If you're going to get 5 lines of service AT&T is cheapest, then Verizon then Sprint.

To directly answer the question of the initial post: With 5 lines of service, Sprint is $207 more expensive than the next most expensive, Verizon. That margin slims by $59 for every line less than 5, until at a single line, Sprint is the better value.

That's only if you need unlimited minutes. Sprint offers anytime mobile plans as well

Posted via EVO LTE with Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's only if you need unlimited minutes. Sprint offers anytime mobile plans as well

This as well. I have unlimited mobile to any mobile but only 450 land.. But as you can see I used mobile to mobile.

So honestly there isn't a direct answer.. Is Sprint really the cheapest? Sometimes yes... Is it really the cheapest all the time though if you have 5 lines and need unlimited then no...

So either way depends on needs. As an individual on "everything data" I am at 92.00 after taxes (no discounts) .. That's cheap but someone on 5 lines and needs unlimited all... T-mobile or something may be cheaper.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370535371690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370535371690.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370535377292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370535377292.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 24

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Tmobile,
Gives you the best value
In terms of unlimited(high speed) data, phone minutes, text, even if you need it or not.? Only question is their coverage in your area?

Sent from Da Coconut Wireless HTC One

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Right, I used as close to oranges to oranges comparison as could be found. All of the plans in the charts have unlimited voice and text, with as close to comparable data plans as possible.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Right, I used as close to oranges to oranges comparison as could be found. All of the plans in the charts have unlimited voice and text, with as close to comparable data plans as possible.

Most people would rather have unlimited data than voice. Your comparison isn't very fair.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Most people would rather have unlimited data than voice. Your comparison isn't very fair.

Agree with the first statement, couldn't agree less on the second. The chart on the right the closest you can get to identical plans across all 4 carriers. AT&T and Verizon don't have unlimited, so you use their most expensive plan. If everything is as close to identical as possible, how can it become more fair?

Unless you have a better way that math doesn't understand, it's literally impossible to create a more balanced comparison of the top tier plans amongst the big 4. Are you suggesting you compare Sprints budget plans to the other 3 carrier's top rate plans? Because that's called bias.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Because aal on sprint's minutes plan is $30 compared to $100 on unlimited. At least post both configurations.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/965229_10151647856247888_85563892_o.jpg

By # of lines:

It's no error my aunt and her family only pays close to 250 a month Idk where that chart came from lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because aal on sprint's minutes plan is $30 compared to $100 on unlimited. At least post both configurations.

I get what you're saying, but that removes the integrity of the comparison. Right now it's as close to oranges to oranges as you can get. If you want to create a set of matrices with all possible combinations, and compare/contrast and post those that's fine, but at that point you're comparing the merits of an orange to a banana to a mango to a lime.

The most honest comparison possible is to have all variables equal or as close to equal as they can be. In this case, it was having unlimited voice and text and as much data as allowed. The only assumption made, is that for a majority of people, having 10GB is indistinguishable from unlimited. We can verify this is accurate, because the average volume of data used per month in the US by Android customers is approximately .90GB. Even with a very abstract distribution, the idea that it's left-skewed so much that the median is over 10 is nearly impossible, thus we can call 10GB = Unlimited for the vast majority of customers.

The math and methodology check out. In an oranges to oranges to oranges to oranges comparison, when asked, "is Sprint really cheaper than Verizon", the answer is, "Yes, it can be, but only if you have one line". In any other circumstance, when comparing like plans, it's less expensive to be on Verizon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's no error my aunt and her family only pays close to 250 a month Idk where that chart came from lol.

That's a chart built from the rate plans on Sprint's website when setting up new service. It doesn't include any discounts, grandfathered plans, etc. The same methodology was using on all carriers. The reason for this methodology, is that someone considering a switch from Verizon to Sprint would be setting up new service, not an older plan and vice versa.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

If you use the same discount your aunt has for the five lines T-mobile and sprint would be wash. However, after 2 years just like being on contract with sprint for 2 years to get a cheaper phone price?
Your bill with 5 lines will drop a hundred dollars to about 150.00-160.00 unlimited everything. Sprint plans will stay the same price no drop. Plus as I said
Tmobile includes tethering and free wifi calling from anywhere in the world and HD voice. If you don't have penertration as you say? You can make calls via wifi at your home or roam on AT&T network for free. Sprint phones don't have the ability to make calls over wifi just yet.
At the moment Sprint plans are not as good as Tmobile simply put. Hopefully, softbank takes over sprint? Then the real fun will begin for sprint customers

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you use the same discount your aunt has for the five lines T-mobile and sprint would be wash. However, after 2 years just like being on contract with sprint for 2 years to get a cheaper phone price?
Your bill with 5 lines will drop a hundred dollars to about 150.00-160.00 unlimited everything. Sprint plans will stay the same price no drop. Plus as I said
Tmobile includes tethering and free wifi calling from anywhere in the world and HD voice. If you don't have penertration as you say? You can make calls via wifi at your home or roam on AT&T network for free. Sprint phones don't have the ability to make calls over wifi just yet.
At the moment Sprint plans are not as good as Tmobile simply put. Hopefully, softbank takes over sprint? Then the real fun will begin for sprint customers

I've always wondered that about the roaming. So they do let you for free? Or is this only in certain areas?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've always wondered that about the roaming. So they do let you for free? Or is this only in certain areas?

When AT&T failed to aquire T-mobile. They had to as a break up agreement give T-mobile these goodies.

Deutsche Telekom has revealed the details of its breakup fee now that the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile is officially dead. T-Mobile gets: one check for $3 billion, one nationwide roaming agreement, and 128 individual spectrum licenses ? everything it needs to build a better HSPA+ network.:)

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

The problem with this chart is that Sprint only adds $30 per month per line (smartphones; feature phones are only $20 per line), not $99 as per your chart.

I pay $150 for two lines ($110 for the first line, $20 for the second smartphone + $10 data fee, and $11 for insurance; add in taxes and subtract a 23% discount). If I were to add a third line, my bill would go up to ~$180, not $250 as your chart would have me believe.

I can't attest to the other carriers, but your multi-line price for Sprint is extremely inflated by 3x or more for anything over two lines. It's not accurate at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae