Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread aka Sprint Spark

Dnelson_1971

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread aka Sprint Spark

I have been looking for an answer to my Nexus 5 LTE issue. I'm hoping you guys can help.
I am in Portland, Oregon - not on the new Spark rollout. I live in a good LTE area but my new Nexus 5 does not pick up the signal. I have read S4gru's article about "breaking band" - Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread - Network, Network Vision/LTE Deployment - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates - and know about eCSFB and how LTE and voice are not playing together well. So, no LTE where I'm at even though my wife's S4 continues to work.

So I drive north to Longview, WA and suddenly LTE shows up. How is this the case when Sprint store employees said no LTE on my device until Spark rolls out. Is there a difference, is Spark one thing and eCSFB enabling another thing. This is not something anyone has made clear so far. I don't care as much about Spark as just getting some LTE that was a hard fight to get Sprint to release it in my area.

Getting a Nexus 5 felt like a major rollback. I'm starting all over again. This seems like a game Sprint continues to play with their customers. First we wait for real Wimax, then we get LTE, then they take it away.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

The triband rollout is only those 5 cities. They have to convert towers to pickup 1900 mhz.

Posted via Android Central App

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Laptop magazine did the same test & killed AT&T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Laptop magazine did the same test & killed AT&T

Killed? It's a .2 faster second load time lol :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

It should be faster. Unoccupied spectrum

Dnelson_1971

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

The odd part is I get about 10 minutes of this, but only while on my commute into Portland. Frustrating as I don't hang out there, but its teases me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It should be faster. Unoccupied spectrum

I would hope so. Theoretical speed of 60 and speeds pulling 12 down? :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

HopelesslyFaithful

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

any notice the sprint thinking/loading sound in the call service is the loading sound from commander keen IIRC...or it is some sound effect from commander keen

i personally blame crap backhaul

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately though 'Sprint Spark' is actually:

Enhanced backhaul on Band 41 spectrum. Was this author connected to completed Band 41 enhanced backhaul?

S4GRU said:
Sprint needs to only show that Spark icon when connected to a Band 41 site with upgraded backhaul. Otherwise, Spark is going to have a bad reputation right out the gate.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

anyone know how to activate spark lte on the nexus 5? i already have my MSL code.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Spark is mostly Band 41 but it is harder to find than a virgin at an Ozzy Osbourne concert.
Rarer still is Band 26.
Set Band 25 on Priority 1 and Band 41 on Priority 2.
Just my $.02
Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

HopelesslyFaithful

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

well i have my new phone...going with the one max for now...i got 14 days to switch it out so i'll see if i can tolerate the size....i do like it....just a damn tablet lol

Anyone i don't see any difference in reception compared to the G2.....haven't updated the G2 yet. I should be in tri-band area....maybe i am not? Sprints coverage map is a joke. I also don't get it in my house....or outside but on second floor i sorta get it but outside nothing. I am wondering if the signal is so crappy that farm buildings block signal....corn fields are gone so maybe i should walk out there.....just cold as balls.

Mave...what are your thoughts? They just don't have 800mhz up yet? and i am just on 1900 and 2500 is a ghost? In chicago wimx is still up so are they not using 2500 or are they just using different parts of their band for each of them?

yea i must be on 1900 mhz because i got it sort of in my office (2nd floor) but outside on the ground nothing. Also the house i live in is like 150 years old and only partly insulated so this building had thin *** walls compared to others so i wouldn't count the walls blocking much.

oh also how do you tell your signal quality in LTE...wimax you had 3 bars. I see nothing for this

Also when i had LTE it was 3 down 4.6 up with 77 ping.

Also can you disable incoming calls to not botch 4g connection?

HopelesslyFaithful

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

found this thread. really damn useful. So i am using band 25 i guess and at the best spot in my office on the second floor i can get -110-100 RSP or whatever it was called. Taht gives me 4.38 down ith 9-10 up o_O Now if that one company would just make that damn house repeater for Sprint 4G LTE i would be golden. I would put it on the roof and i bet i would get <-100 RSP or whatever. I would have LTE in the whole house! Then good buy crap 150GB data limited AT&T DSL. My LTE matches down and murders upload lol. Man i want that home repeater!!!

I wish a program would love my db so i could monitor my signal strength with location :/ I think i might bring my wife a long for a car ride and have her drive as i log LTE all over Chicago and post it lol

Holy smokes Batman! 5 down and 10.25 up o_O

Bars Lie for LTE Signal Strength! How to determine your actual LTE signal strength - Network, Network Vision/LTE Deployment - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

Anyone ever have sprint complain about data usage? i have been good with pulling 50-200GB over 3G before in NC and have done 50ish before on wimax with no issue....everyone else in the same boat? Just want to make sure i dont **** them off with my geeky needs.

OMG batman! I think they are making it!!

http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/wi-ex/zboost-trio.php

I hope it works...i can't wait until it comes out. I'll be able to get 1900 without a problem!

IS this one that works for Tri-band? well more so dual band :/ I have only found one person online that says it works for 1900 band.

UPDATE: In North Aurora i have band 25 but at one point i received band 41! Though it was worse than 3G speeds lol. .4 x.4 or some crap like that lol

UPDATE: well i explored around Chicago a bit more and band 41 is all over. When i have a good signal and not in an area hosed with usage (most aren't) I am able to pull 10-28Mbps down and .5-2Mbps up. For whatever reason upload on band 41 is terrible compared to band 25. Band 25 ranges from 1-11Mbps down and 1-10MBps up.

I am pretty stocked about the overall 4G speeds. they are a hit or miss in locations. I have already pulled like 12-20GB on my cell lol I had to download a lot of crap again. (new phone you know)

BTW @VW Maverick how do you set the LTE priorities?

Last edited:

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official Sprint Tri-Band LTE Phone Discussion Thread

Well the S4T has been officially announced by Sprint. I know some people still would love an S4 w/triband. I feel 199$ is a bit too steep for dated hardware, but I guess they're trying to pass this off as an upgrade to the Single-Band S4 and sell both side by side still.

Sprint Debuts Samsung Galaxy S 4 with the Benefit of Sprint Spark

NEW YORK (BUSINESS WIRE), December 10, 2013 - Sprint (NYSE:S) expects to begin delivery of Samsung Galaxy S? 4 (16GB) with the addition of Sprint Spark™ (enhanced LTE) to its sales channels in the next few weeks. This enhances the current version of Galaxy S 4 with a design change to take advantage of unprecedented speeds by combining all three Sprint bands (800MHz, 1.9GHz and 2.5GHz) of 4G LTE wireless spectrum.

Samsung Galaxy S 4 with Sprint Spark will be available for $199.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card2 or $25 per month with Sprint One Up.

Sprint Debuts Samsung Galaxy S 4 with the Benefit of Sprint Spark | Sprint Newsroom

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

BTW @VW Maverick how do you set the LTE priorities?

Sorry I did not see this when posted.

You need your MSL code.
Go to your dialpad and enter ##DATA#
Scroll down to LTE and you can view or edit.
This is where to enter the MSL code if you want to edit.
Then you can enable/disable all bands and priorities to your heart's content.

I have both 25 and 41 enabled with 25 top priority.
It's gonna be a bit before any Band 26 is out there so it remains disabled.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance