Will Extensive Data Roaming cut me out of contract?

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,
So sprint 3G service in my area is unusable, and there's no LTE. 3G speeds run between 10-100 kbps down. I was getting better speed while roaming, so I started force roaming 4 months ago, and sprint seem to not care. I have been using around 10gb data per month on average. Now I'm in a dilemma, as I've heard that sprint will terminate the contract due to data roaming, one of my lines is ready for an upgrade, and I'm nervous about upgrading and paying for a device if they will kick me out.
Btw I have no problem in getting kicked out go with better carrier..

Thank yall in advance!

Sent from my HTC via Tapatalk!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard yes. If you root your phone you can get an app called "roam control" (just Google it) and force roam. I am pretty sure if you keep roaming and using a good amount of data they will boot you.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
That's what I've have been doing. I use about 10gb a month on Verizon, and their 3G speeds are 1.5-2.5 Mbps...

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how you still have service but it clearly states if I remember correctly you get 500mb a month roaming and they aren't very lenient after that. It costs Sprint a lot of money when you do this and in turn all of us customers.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well on my plan it states unlimited data with roaming but I have a older plan though

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well on my plan it states unlimited data with roaming but I have a older plan though

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

You sure? Go log in online.. I bet it's changed. It has for all of us... If yours says "see terms" I can safely say you don't have unlimited roaming anymore (see below). They ensured to get rid of it.

Attachments

• 1372548961857.jpg
    1372548961857.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 87

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You sure? Go log in online.. I bet it's changed. It has for all of us... If yours says "see terms" I can safely say you don't have unlimited roaming anymore (see below). They ensured to get rid of it.

Man you're so lucky to have unlimited 4g still. My mom just upgraded her phone to the s3 and they included a new 4g charge with a data cap. We still have the unlimited everything plan though, I guess it doesn't count the for 4g. Even though my 4g is still unlimited. They must be charging on the new plans.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how you still have service but it clearly states if I remember correctly you get 500mb a month roaming and they aren't very lenient after that. It costs Sprint a lot of money when you do this and in turn all of us customers.

When I called sprint about the service issues several times, in response to the network tickets they came to conclusion that the network is congested in my area.
Recently, about a couple of months ago, I called sprint about the roaming issue, and that my roaming speeds are way better than sprint network, the tech support representative said, "your plan allows you unlimited roaming, you will not be charged extra, so if roaming works for, go ahead and use it until network improves in your area under network vision"

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that your allowed to roam up to 50% of your Sprint network usage.

As in if you surf for let say 1gig then 500megs of that can be roaming. Or that was the rule when I had them a few years ago.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Man you're so lucky to have unlimited 4g still. My mom just upgraded her phone to the s3 and they included a new 4g charge with a data cap. We still have the unlimited everything plan though, I guess it doesn't count the for 4g. Even though my 4g is still unlimited. They must be charging on the new plans.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

That doesn't sound right. They only cap business lines and hotspots. Your phones 3g and 4g should be unlimited.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
When I called sprint about the service issues several times, in response to the network tickets they came to conclusion that the network is congested in my area.
Recently, about a couple of months ago, I called sprint about the roaming issue, and that my roaming speeds are way better than sprint network, the tech support representative said, "your plan allows you unlimited roaming, you will not be charged extra, so if roaming works for, go ahead and use it until network improves in your area under network vision"

It's not congested. Sprint 3g is garbage. Verizon 3g is faster than sprint 4g in many cases. I couldn't open a website on sprint 3g for the last year.

Call and ask about the data roaming. It should be unlimited. If so, burn it up like it's your job. Let Play Music stream overnight. Make them kick you off.

Then go get verizon. It isn't significantly more expensive, and youll have coverage everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. They only cap business lines and hotspots. Your phones 3g and 4g should be unlimited.

Correct, data should be unlimited. There could be debate as to if they throttle or not. I beleive Sprint has gone on record to say they don't and this, along with unlimited data, has been a huge selling point for their network.

Regarding the roaming, I don't think there is anything in writing that says if you roam X data per month you'll get the boot. It's probably up to Sprint and what they define exesive roaming to initiate cancelation of your contract. You'll be given fair warning if you do roam too much.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Correct, data should be unlimited. There could be debate as to if they throttle or not. I beleive Sprint has gone on record to say they don't and this, along with unlimited data, has been a huge selling point for their network.

Regarding the roaming, I don't think there is anything in writing that says if you roam X data per month you'll get the boot. It's probably up to Sprint and what they define exesive roaming to initiate cancelation of your contract. You'll be given fair warning if you do roam too much.

Most contracts never say will since they don't always but they do write it so they can cancel your service. The terms and conditions of use says this....

Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 400 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

So they can terminate if they want due to excess roam.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
And she said?
She said the reason I'm calling is to help you with your service issues, and talk about ways you can manage data roaming. I told her sprint either needs to fix their service or not to call me to stop roaming. She said we're not going to limit or terminate your service, but we reserves the right to terminate the service.
Me: I'm ok with you terminating my service as long as you give me enough time to go with someone who has internet for their smartphones.
Her: Right now I just wanted to bring it to your attention, but if that situation arises, we give you at least a month to look for the service that suits your need. But we would you to continue to be sprint customer, but you have to understand that roaming costs Sprint a lot of money.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
She said the reason I'm calling is to help you with your service issues, and talk about ways you can manage data roaming. I told her sprint either needs to fix their service or not to call me to stop roaming. She said we're not going to limit or terminate your service, but we reserves the right to terminate the service.
Me: I'm ok with you terminating my service as long as you give me enough time to go with someone who has internet for their smartphones.
Her: Right now I just wanted to bring it to your attention, but if that situation arises, we give you at least a month to look for the service that suits your need. But we would you to continue to be sprint customer, but you have to understand that roaming costs Sprint a lot of money.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Yes it does which then gets handed over to all of us customers. Just pay your etf like a big boy, and be on your way.