Softbank, is NOT Fooling Around! Ready to Invest $16bn into Sprint over the next 2 years..

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
TOKYO (Nikkei)--Softbank Corp. (9984.TO) is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years, President Masayoshi Son said in an interview, as his company seeks to make the U.S. mobile phone carrier a more serious challenge to top rivals, the Nikkei reported in its Monday morning edition.

Under Softbank, the pace of investment at Sprint will more than double. Most of the roughly Y1.6 trillion in spending will go toward base stations for Sprint's high-speed LTE network. Softbank is also adding base stations in Japan. It reckons its Sprint takeover, recently approved by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, will lower costs through economies of scale, not only in network infrastructure but also in smartphone procurement.

Sprint, the third-biggest American mobile carrier, has lagged top-ranked Verizon Wireless and No. 2 player AT&T Inc. in expanding LTE coverage. As of March 31, Verizon's LTE network spanned 491 U.S. markets, compared with just 88 for Sprint. Like Japan, America is seeing a surge in data traffic as smartphone usage spreads.

If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years.

Plans call for $8 billion, or about Y800 billion, of capital spending this year and the same amount in 2014. After that, the pace is to slow to $6 billion.

Softbank's 21.6 billion dollar takeover of Sprint includes $5 billion of capital to bolster the U.S. firm's balance sheet. Sprint is supposed to pay for network investments out of its own earnings, requiring no additional funding from Softbank.

The two carriers will open a joint R&D center in California as early as this year. It will "give birth to new technology in Silicon Valley, the center of Internet technology," Mr. Son told the Nikkei.

With an initial staff of several hundred engineers drawn from both companies, the R&D lab will develop both hardware and software. It will also hire locally, eventually growing to a team of around 1,000, according to Mr. Son.

The new Sprint, to be 78% owned by a U.S. subsidiary of Softbank, will take over the old Sprint's business. Son will chair the new Sprint's board of directors, with Ronald Fisher, who now heads Softbank's U.S. operations, as deputy chairman. Four current Sprint directors, including Chief Executive Officer Dan Hesse, will stay on, joined by newcomers including Michael Mullen, a former chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. Softbank and Sprint executives will meet once a month to set common business goals for both the U.S. and Japan.

Straightening out Sprint's finances will be crucial to funding network investments. "We've found that there is considerable possibility for cutting costs," Mr. Son said.

Softbank estimates $2-3 billion in annual savings to be had from such steps as combining purchases of smartphones and base stations.

Mr. Son declined to comment on future talks with fourth-ranked American carrier T-Mobile U.S. Inc., which emerged as a Plan B for Softbank should the Sprint deal fall through.

The Sprint takeover raises Softbank's groupwide interest-bearing liabilities to Y6 trillion. Mr. Son said it puts less of a strain on the balance sheet than past acquisitions did. But much depends on Sprint's ability to grow steadily. In Japan, Softbank rode its early monopoly on iPhone sales to higher earnings, but all of the big U.S. carriers already offer the popular Apple Inc. device. Innovation in services will be crucial to making Sprint more competitive.

Softbank Set to Invest $16 Billion at Sprint

They are serious about bringing some heat to the Duopoly.... If they execute this prefectly, Sprint's network will be a serious BEAST!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It will definitely get better. Sprint was planning on dumping most of that cash into it's network from the first day the proposal was announced.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It will definitely get better. Sprint was planning on dumping most of that cash into it's network from the first day the proposal was announced.

I sure hope so because mine like many others experience with Sprint is horrible outside of LTE and their LTE isn't a whole lot to write home about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope so because mine like many others experience with Sprint is horrible outside of LTE and their LTE isn't a whole lot to write home about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

It isn't as fast as the others but I haven't found a reason to not write about it.. It runs fast and wonderfully as long as it's available in that area.

Either way though.. Throwing money at the problem can fix it usually. ATT did it as well.. More money means faster builds and in more locations at once, newer hardware, faster turn around all together. :D.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Attachments

• 1373294939371.jpg
    1373294939371.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 1373294962002.jpg
    1373294962002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 63

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It isn't as fast as the others but I haven't found a reason to not write about it.. It runs fast and wonderfully as long as it's available in that area.

Either way though.. Throwing money at the problem can fix it usually. ATT did it as well.. More money means faster builds and in more locations at once, newer hardware, faster turn around all together. :D.

Impressive stats. Only a small handful of areas in the Chicago market seem to be achieving near those speeds. Which raises questions..

1. Chicago market was one of their biggest and most in depth markets for towers to be upgraded to LTE. The upgrade is near full completion and it seems to have only gotten worse over time IMO.

2. In conjunction with my comment in #1, sure that can be do to the mass amount of LTE devices now online in the Chicago market eating up the bandwidth. But if that is the case that doesn't make a strong argument for the network to be overloaded within 6 month-1 year of going live with LTE.

3. I have 3 different models of phones on Sprint using LTE and 3g. Apple 4s, GNex & S3 and all are suffering from very slow almost unusable on 3g to so so 4-10 mbps ranges on LTE at best.

Back on topic:

So I really do hope for the best with the flow of more money into the network. I just hope they will realize a market like Chicago that should be pumping out some stellar speeds across the board with the tower coverage isn't living up to expectations. Many times if I'm out mobile and need to get something done and don't have " good LTE speed " I have to just wait until I get home on my WIFI or laptop because its not worth even trying. To me, Sprint as a company is severely failing in providing an acceptable network at this point in time.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Impressive stats. Only a small handful of areas in the Chicago market seem to be achieving near those speeds. Which raises questions..

1. Chicago market was one of their biggest and most in depth markets for towers to be upgraded to LTE. The upgrade is near full completion and it seems to have only gotten worse over time IMO.

2. In conjunction with my comment in #1, sure that can be do to the mass amount of LTE devices now online in the Chicago market eating up the bandwidth. But if that is the case that doesn't make a strong argument for the network to be overloaded within 6 month-1 year of going live with LTE.

3. I have 3 different models of phones on Sprint using LTE and 3g. Apple 4s, GNex & S3 and all are suffering from very slow almost unusable on 3g to so so 4-10 mbps ranges on LTE at best.

Back on topic:

So I really do hope for the best with the flow of more money into the network. I just hope they will realize a market like Chicago that should be pumping out some stellar speeds across the board with the tower coverage isn't living up to expectations. Many times if I'm out mobile and need to get something done and don't have " good LTE speed " I have to just wait until I get home on my WIFI or laptop because its not worth even trying. To me, Sprint as a company is severely failing in providing an acceptable network at this point in time.

I have to admit you're the first I'm hearing about in Chicago complain about the network on Network Vision...Most of Chicago guys are raving about it. The only complainers I read about are those still suffering on Legacy network towers.

I can see actual Speeds are going to be a big problem in the "Community"....people want that "Speed" pissing contest, even when it make no difference in the overall phones performance.... 4 - 10 MB down is perfectly fine, as long as it's sustainable at peak time and the pings are low. I keep saying I'll happily take 5-10 Down with consistency and Unlimited over a Capped 20-30 Down with 50 Meg bursts, that does nothing for me.

I want Consistency, Low Ping times, and Unlimited. For that I'll gladly settle for 5-10 Down..

If you want to participate in the "Carrier Speed Pissing Contests" you best head over to ATT or Verizon for that, because that's not Sprint's goal (it wasn't from the beginning). Sprint's not going to sustain 50 MB down, not even a consistent 20-30....its best to expect 5-10 MB Down while on FDD LTE.... TDD LTE on 2.5 (CLWR spectrum) will bring higher speeds but those will be more Urban/Suburban Hotspots rather than entire regions.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit you're the first I'm hearing about in Chicago complain about the network on Network Vision...Most of Chicago guys are raving about it. The only complainers I read about are those still suffering on Legacy network towers.

I can see actual Speeds are going to be a big problem in the "Community"....people want that "Speed" pissing contest, even when it make no difference in the overall phones performance.... 4 - 10 MB down is perfectly fine, as long as it's sustainable at peak time and the pings are low. I keep saying I'll happily take 5-10 Down with consistency and Unlimited over a Capped 20-30 Down with 50 Meg bursts, that does nothing for me.

I want Consistency, Low Ping times, and Unlimited. For that I'll gladly settle for 5-10 Down..

If you want to participate in the "Carrier Speed Pissing Contests" you best head over to ATT or Verizon for that, because that's not Sprint's goal (it wasn't from the beginning). Sprint's not going to sustain 50 MB down, not even a consistent 20-30....its best to expect 5-10 MB Down while on FDD LTE.... TDD LTE on 2.5 (CLWR spectrum) will bring higher speeds but those will be more Urban/Suburban Hotspots rather than entire regions.

Oh I agree completely about getting a solid, consistent 4-10 mbps with low pings but even that is limited. I live about 35 miles south Chicago and in what is still considered a very populated area for Sprint's network coverage. I believe we have around a good 5+ towers in a 10 mile radius of my location and its very sporadic on LTE. Signal will come and go fairly quick and isn't consistent. Fast forward in closer to Chicago itself and the network is great, which it should be for the amount of coverage it has.

and I'm not here for the Carrier Speed Pissing Contests, if I wanted that I'd go to Verizon as you said. I simply want a solid network coverage myself which Sprint isn't currently providing consistently. Even traveling down major highways which is normally heavily covered by all carriers, Sprint is failing horribly many times dropping LTE quickly back to unusable 3g.

Bottom line, I hope to see the inflow of money help them build up the backbone of the network. Fill in the gaps, get a more consistent signal and yes do something about the horrible 3g which if it was comparable to other carriers would be usable.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
and I'm not here for the Carrier Speed Pissing Contests, if I wanted that I'd go to Verizon as you said. I simply want a solid network coverage myself which Sprint isn't currently providing consistently. Even traveling down major highways which is normally heavily covered by all carriers, Sprint is failing horribly many times dropping LTE quickly back to unusable 3g.

Bottom line, I hope to see the inflow of money help them build up the backbone of the network. Fill in the gaps, get a more consistent signal and yes do something about the horrible 3g which if it was comparable to other carriers would be usable.

Well I think you're judging the network prematurely...Chicago hasn't been announced as live/completed by Sprint...there are towers still to come on line....Maybe your tower is experiencing double even triple duty right now, as its taking on loads that otherwise would be offloaded on to towers that are either still under NV construction or still operating under the Legacy Network. Again I would withhold judgement on NV until Chicago has been announced. No to mention not all of the towers are broadcasting 800 LTE as yet either which will help distribute the loads.

Edit: look like you better scratch Verizon off your list for "Speed Pissing Contests" as in Chicago Verizon's LTE Network is Suffering from serious Congestion, just like Verizon here in NYC. Looks like AT&T or T-MO are the only other "Speed" alternatives in CHI-TOWN. Wonder how much longer they'll hold out before their networks begin to buckle under the weight.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I think you're judging the network prematurely...Chicago hasn't been announced as live/completed by Sprint...there are towers still to come on line....Maybe your tower is experiencing double even triple duty right now, as its taking on loads that otherwise would be offloaded on to towers that are either still under NV construction or still operating under the Legacy Network. Again I would withhold judgement on NV until Chicago has been announced. No to mention not all of the towers are broadcasting 800 LTE as yet either which will help distribute the loads.

Edit: look like you better scratch Verizon off your list for "Speed Pissing Contests" as in Chicago Verizon's LTE Network is Suffering from serious Congestion, just like Verizon here in NYC. Looks like AT&T or T-MO are the only other "Speed" alternatives in CHI-TOWN. Wonder how much longer they'll hold out before their networks begin to buckle under the weight.

Chicago was announced I believe.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780258/sprint-lte-chicago-indianapolis-49-total-markets

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Chicago was announced a while back.. The actual city area of Chicago had some work remaining due to the complexity of the towers located everywhere but suburbs which I'm a part of were some of the first completed. I'm sure there are still some legacy equipment yet to be transferred over but fact still remains its no where near the coverage I think many were hoping for.

Maybe once all the 800 mhz towers get re-purposed to handle the LTE to help handle some of the load and more money to play with from the Softbank deal they can double back and improve on areas they must already know are still suffering for better coverage. At least that's my hopes.

Anyway we look at it, 21 + billion dollars is a ton of cash to make a lot of noise...

Little sample of my quality LTE...

esyvytyh.jpg

Last edited:

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
2 question do you know what the distance is between you and the actual tower, second has the USCC Spectrum been put to use yet? A big part of Sprints problem in Chicago is a shortage of the 1900 mhz Spectrum.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Back on topic:

I'm on Chicago and avg almost 15 during peak hours at home and at work. At night I get about 25mb almost 30 and so do all my friends and family that has lte phones. Pretty consistent.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a Lil sample of my peak hour LTE.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373327483746.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373327483746.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 32

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Chicago and avg almost 15 during peak hours at home and at work. At night I get about 25mb almost 30 and so do all my friends and family that has lte phones. Pretty consistent.

Yeah well aware of speeds in and nearby the city. Pretty good.

Get out in the suburbs and you won't find to much over 10 if your lucky and consistency of LTE connection isn't that great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
2 question do you know what the distance is between you and the actual tower, second has the USCC Spectrum been put to use yet? A big part of Sprints problem in Chicago is a shortage of the 1900 mhz Spectrum.

I have one tower which is pumping out LTE just under two miles from me and probably 3 more easily that I know of that are within 5 miles. These same towers during test phase before official announcement were putting out over 20 mbps consistently. Once it went official it dropped like a rock.

We can sit here and talk numbers and show speed tests back and forth but must can agree they need to step it up.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah well aware of speeds in and nearby the city. Pretty good.

Get out in the suburbs and you won't find to much over 10 if your lucky and consistency of LTE connection isn't that great.

I got the speeds I posted in the suburbs lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have one tower which is pumping out LTE just under two miles from me and probably 3 more easily that I know of that are within 5 miles. These same towers during test phase before official announcement were putting out over 20 mbps consistently. Once it went official it dropped like a rock.

We can sit here and talk numbers and show speed tests back and forth but must can agree they need to step it up.

I do agree they need to step up and stay on top of it. I mean my speeds are great now but if upon launch they drop like a rock that would suck.

I just wouldn't want Sprint to fall back into the okay it's setup now let's not maintain it kind of mentality like they did with the 3g network.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Just a Lil sample of my peak hour LTE.

That Perfect in my book for Peak Time Speeds.....as long as its consistent, and ping times remain sub 100 mil....I wont ask for more...

Back to my Question however...Do we know if the USCC spectrum is in play yet. Also Paul627 states he's in the Burbs wasnt there an entire section of CHI-Town burbs that was still running on the Legacy Network? I think I read it was the NW burbs not sure though.

As for stepping it up, No Market has changed over faster than Chicago....I don't think its Humanly possible for Sprint/Samsung to move faster than what they have in Chicago....I wish like hell NYC NV moved as fast...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1