Help explaining this please

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
For some reason i'm having a hard time wrapping this around my head, why is it that i can have LTE in one spot thats not far from my house and that'll be the only spot i have it unless i go drive to some other city/town? Or just have LTE in one spot in a random place but it wont be anywhere else in that area? (the two purple spots are the areas i've mapped and the only LTE i've seen in the Middleton, ID area)

Attachments

• BVNHjReCUAAgO55.png
    BVNHjReCUAAgO55.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 67

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's Sprint for you :/ A friend of mine has the GS4 on Sprint and he rarely gets LTE here in Los Angeles. Their coverage is really weird, he'll bounce from 4G to 3G and back to 4G within a few blocks while I'm on LTE the whole time with T-Mobile

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's anything wrong with your phone, just the carrier's coverage in your particular area

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is an image from Sensorly, correct? If so, I think they scale the reports a little. Meaning, the more people report, the more accurate the mapping is. Sprint may be in the testing phase of 4G for you.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that you are trying to "wrap IT around your head" when you are supposed to do as the saying goes... "wrap your head around IT"........... Quaint sayings aside.........Sprint is a seriously whacked out carrier and most of what they offer is hit or miss.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
In fact they are testing in my area and it is Sensorly. LTE hasnt been released yet by Sprint. But i just find it odd that i only get it at that one spot and not 2 miles down the road where i live
That is an image from Sensorly, correct? If so, I think they scale the reports a little. Meaning, the more people report, the more accurate the mapping is. Sprint may be in the testing phase of 4G for you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In fact they are testing in my area and it is Sensorly. LTE hasnt been released yet by Sprint. But i just find it odd that i only get it at that one spot and not 2 miles down the road where i live

Then Sprint is probably testing the towers in your area. They are for me too. 4G comes and goes and strength is rarely better than a few bars. I am guessing when they fully launch the network, it will be like lighting up a Christmas tree.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Sprint started out that way here in Atlanta. LTE coverage was very spotty and unreliable. Today I have strong and fast LTE everywhere I go.

Posted via Android Central App

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
How long did that take to change? From spotty to everywhere that is. And how well does it do with buildings?
Sprint started out that way here in Atlanta. LTE coverage was very spotty and unreliable. Today I have strong and fast LTE everywhere I go.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of factors that contribute to cellular coverage. In this case, it's likely an issue of Sprint not having sufficient towers in and around your area with LTE upgrades. Keep in mind that a cellular towers has a radius that it provides coverage to. So the fewer towers available the less coverage you'll have.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
But only in one spot? Thats the part i dont get
There are a lot of factors that contribute to cellular coverage. In this case, it's likely an issue of Sprint not having sufficient towers in and around your area with LTE upgrades. Keep in mind that a cellular towers has a radius that it provides coverage to. So the fewer towers available the less coverage you'll have.

dgspencer2

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
The key here is that they are in the testing phase. I am seeing 4G LTE in Boise/Nampa/Caldwell, mostly north of I-84 (freeway across southern Idaho). I have been trying to remember to turn on mapping as I drive around, and I haven't seen much of a change in the last couple weeks since I noticed the 4G LTE. I have also done some speed tests, and it is only hitting 2-3 Mbps download, and often faster upload than download. They are just testing...

To be a Sprint customer is to have the patience of Job.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11