Buying a sprint phone on contract

allen Brown3

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am on a sprint family plan with my brother and recently lost my phone. And since a replacement costs to much I thought I could buy a phone (lg g2) on contract, then when I receive it I can say its not working or something then I will port my old sprint phone(evo 3d) to that contract , and give it to my daughter, she's been dying for a smartphone. And then port my lg g2 to the contract with my brother. Is this possible on sprint?, I know they don't have Sim cards so I would be dealing with esn's. And will it be this easy? Btw I will be ordering online from sprint.com

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When you purchase a phone on contract thru a carrier it must remain " activated " on the account unless you don't keep up with your contract agreement and the phone/service is shut off by the carrier.

It is however possible to purchase a new device on an available line upgrade or opening a new line and asking Sprint to "swap" the phone over to an existing account on the your plan. Many people have done this, using a spouses available upgrade to get a new device then having Sprint switch it to a different line on the account. I have also heard the same if you open a new line of service.

So what I'm saying is, take the smart route and talk with Sprint CS. You can set up something to purchase the new LG G2 on contract, move it to a different line so it still remains active and then use a different phone you "own" in place of it on the line. ;) Last thing you want to do is get caught up in some scam and have your account blacklisted/IMEI/ESN blocked.