So, I have a few phones on my account - me, my bro, and my pops. My brother doesn't really need a new phone so he's cool if I use his upgrade to get a new one.

Sprint was fine with thins until the salesman told me that I had to have it active on the upgrade line for a day. That would mean my brother wouldn't have a working phone until the next day. We don't live anywhere near each other so it's not like we can do this easily.

Was this guy full of it or is this a policy that they have to adhere to? This was more of a smaller sprint non-corporate store, could a corporate store get around this?
    11-11-2013 09:49 AM
    Sprint corporate does require that the line using the upgrade discount to receive the new phone. It is likely just the time for paperwork to go through for the one day needed before you can switch the phone from one line to the other. I believe it is required for contract compliance. So corporate might be able to breach the contract for you but I can't see any incentive for them to do so.
    Saneless likes this.
    11-11-2013 10:18 AM
    Do you think it's a matter of I can do it later at night before the store closes and switch it over in the morning? Guess I'll visit the store opposed to calling because the standard CSRs told me everything would be fine, but that didn't appear to be the case.

And I'm cool with the line actually receiving the phone.. but I figure I can just do a device swap immediately afterwards. If my brother doesn't have a working phone for 30 minutes I'm sure that'd be fine, but a day would be a bad idea.
    11-11-2013 10:20 AM
    I just ordered from wirefly and used my old man's upgrade, and the rep asked if the phone would be for his line or another after I received it. I told him I was planning to use it with my line not my father's. He said, ok, that's no prob. We'll just do a "buddy" upgrade. So now when I receive my phone, it's already programmed to be for my line even though I used my old man's upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App
    Saneless likes this.
    11-11-2013 10:21 AM
    Cool, I'll try that.. buddy upgrade? Maybe I'll try another front-end provider rather than the Sprint location.
    11-11-2013 12:17 PM
    Well, I was able to buy one online at Target for 50 bucks. For saving 50 bucks from other places, $100 from sprint and no rebates.. He can deal without a phone for an evening if it comes down to it
    11-11-2013 03:43 PM
    Well, I was able to buy one online at Target for 50 bucks. For saving 50 bucks from other places, $100 from sprint and no rebates.. He can deal without a phone for an evening if it comes down to it
    Lol cool

Posted via Android Central App
    11-11-2013 08:38 PM
    I've done this several times at Best Buy and promptly went home and swapped lines with no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Saneless likes this.
    11-11-2013 08:41 PM
    I work at Best Buy. People do this all the time. Its annoying and takes a while but we just activate the phone on the upgrade line and then do two hardware swaps. One to put the new phone on your line then the other persons phone back on their line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2013 04:41 AM