Quandary on 3G services...

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Considering moving to Sprint for better voice reception as where I am (sierra foothills about an hour east of Sacramento) my T-Mobile is spotty on voice and non-existant on data (2G) .

Coverage maps show better voice coverage and 3G on Sprint. But the 3G data speeds look more like t-mobile's 2G (unusable).

At least when I head a few minutes down the hill I get very good speeds via hspa. I am not in a 4G area so I guess my question is... if I move to Sprint and can only get 3G, will my data speeds always be poor?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Use sensorly and verify. Sprint is upgrading everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

This^^^

Also, Try to test phones from other carriers in the areas you're going to be. Or check the phones of other people around you in those areas.

Sprint is really slow in many places with only 3G. I know cause I have Sprint, but I'm normally on 4G areas.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I live and travel around the greater Sacramento area and Sprint is by far the worst network here. Wait a few months and it MIGHT get better, they have been working on it for months. But for now it is in dead last place. Even metro PCs has had LTE for years and Sprint still has unusable 3g everywhere. Check out this site for any info on the network upgrades http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3...ing-eureka-renolake-tahoe/page-91#entry240697

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I have checked sensory, open signal, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment. All indicate better voice coverage where I live, but 3g coverage everywhere that I am out and about.

Based on the numbers I hear about Sprint 3g, I am afraid my phone would be crippled (nav, voice recognition, Now, search, yelp, etc.) where I need it most. This includes Tahoe, Folsom, Auburn, etc. (pretty much everywhere west of Sacramento to Nevada).

I just found it hard to believe all of Sprint's 3g is so slow (kbs down and often nothing up).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I have checked sensory, open signal, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment. All indicate better voice coverage where I live, but 3g coverage everywhere that I am out and about.

Based on the numbers I hear about Sprint 3g, I am afraid my phone would be crippled (nav, voice recognition, Now, search, yelp, etc.) where I need it most. This includes Tahoe, Folsom, Auburn, etc. (pretty much everywhere west of Sacramento to Nevada).

I just found it hard to believe all of Sprint's 3g is so slow (kbs down and often nothing up).

Sadly that's normal 3g for Sprint. Some are lucky with okay speeds... Most aren't.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
In my area I'm getting a lot of 2.5 down and .5-1.5 up on 3G....and I drive 8 hours a day county wide.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
In my area I'm getting a lot of 2.5 down and .5-1.5 up on 3G....and I drive 8 hours a day county wide.

Actually that's not bad on Sprint, I'm not saying its great but for Sprint those are decent 3G speeds.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!