Free year of Sprint for students deal

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm definitely doing this. I'm in my last year of school so its time for me to bail on my parent's verizon account they've been nice enough to let me stay on. I just hope law school works for the deal, but I don't see anything that says it wont. Planning on signing up on december 15th when my verizon contract is up and getting the nexus 5.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, it is Sprint, hehe. :D There should be details though on the Best Buy mobile site. :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
I wonder if they would let you BYOD. If you could this would be a lot better. Not paying $800 for a GS4 XD

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely doing this. I'm in my last year of school so its time for me to bail on my parent's verizon account they've been nice enough to let me stay on. I just hope law school works for the deal, but I don't see anything that says it wont. Planning on signing up on december 15th when my verizon contract is up and getting the nexus 5.

Do you know if Sprint is OK in your area though? Also I think the 2nd year is still on contract but tbh I didn't read the whole ad. It's nice if this works out well though. :beer::thumbup:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if they would let you BYOD. If you could this would be a lot better. Not paying $800 for a GS4 XD

Yes, good point. You have to go through Best Buy I think (not sure) so I'm not sure what they require.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if Sprint is OK in your area though? Also I think the 2nd year is still on contract but tbh I didn't read the whole ad. It's nice if this works out well though. :beer::thumbup:

It's coverage is pretty good but the LTE is painfully slow XD

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's coverage is pretty good but the LTE is painfully slow XD

I know, I'm a Sprint customer still... as soon as I can pay the etf I want to get on Straight Talk or Go phone. The data speed here is so bad I can't watch YouTube videos. :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I know, I'm a Sprint customer still... as soon as I can pay the etf I want to get on Straight Talk or Go phone. The data speed here is so bad I can't watch YouTube videos. :(

:( I wish I could get one of those. T-Mo is really good here but the building penetration is bad and for some reason when I'm in Disneyland the data rivals Sprint speeds even though it's insanely fast at California Adventure o_O

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
:( I wish I could get one of those. T-Mo is really good here but the building penetration is bad and for some reason when I'm in Disneyland the data rivals Sprint speeds even though it's insanely fast at California Adventure o_O

How's ATT there? Do you work at Disneyland? :) That sounds fun. :beer:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How's ATT there? Do you work at Disneyland? :) That sounds fun. :beer:

At home T-Mo is actually better than AT&T but at my school I get no service in one of my classes whereas my friend with AT&T gets 3-4 bars of 4G on his phone.
I don't work there but I have a year pass so I'm there often :p

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
At home T-Mo is actually better than AT&T but at my school I get no service in one of my classes whereas my friend with AT&T gets 3-4 bars of 4G on his phone.
I don't work there but I have a year pass so I'm there often :p

I've never been there but I imagine it must be fun. :thumbup: Here T-Mobile is probably only a little better than Sprint according to the app I used to compare. ATT is supposed to be the best right where I am (Verizon is 2nd but they haven't enough prepay options). Unfortunately it could be several months until I can afford the Sprint etf but I'm looking forward to it. :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've never been there but I imagine it must be fun. :thumbup: Here T-Mobile is probably only a little better than Sprint according to the app I used to compare. ATT is supposed to be the best right where I am (Verizon is 2nd but they haven't enough prepay options). Unfortunately it could be several months until I can afford the Sprint etf but I'm looking forward to it. :D

Maybe by then Sprint will have better LTE speeds :p (Sarcasm)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe by then Sprint will have better LTE speeds :p (Sarcasm)

Haha, maybe, but I doubt it. They're taking forever to upgrade their network. I still have a line on Boost Mobile too, so I'll know if they do. :D

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Haha, maybe, but I doubt it. They're taking forever to upgrade their network. I still have a line on Boost Mobile too, so I'll know if they do. :D

I like how this is just back and forth between us. Ignored thread is ignored XD

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

I live in Lincoln, NE and have heard sprint is great here and in Omaha (Nebraska's two cities). Where I worry is when I head to rural western nebraska for various reasons it will be awful and I will likely depend on wifi a lot. For $10 a month though, I think that's a reasonable sacrifice.

You can opt out of the contract anytime (for no charge) after 3 months until the end of your 1 year.

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
My biggest question is what effect on your bill does roaming have? That seems like such a simple question, but something I haven't had to worry about for a long time with verizon.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My biggest question is what effect on your bill does roaming have? That seems like such a simple question, but something I haven't had to worry about for a long time with verizon.

That's a good question. Did you find anything on Best Buy about the plan? Maybe Sprint or Best Buy CS would know (but then they might pressure you to sign up right away).