05-27-2014 12:18 PM
93 1234
tools
    It's not about hurting others at that moment, (which it does if you and hundreds of other ppl are doing the exact same thing) but its about hurting us the consumers when networks change their policies and then restrict us, we all complain, hell breaks loose, and we ask ourselves why?

Oh wait, its because ppl took advantage of the network and now we are being restricted......or limited!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    And you think.. By maybe a small chance.. They didn't see this as a huge revenue increase and maybe that's why they did caps?

Cell phones back in the day made landline calling less convenient.. Why not use the cell phone that you can use all around town and home? .. So minutes were the big thing and were expensive. Fast forward.. Now data is the big ticket and.. That's exactly what they made expansive now.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    05-16-2014 03:24 PM
    And you think.. By maybe a small chance.. They didn't see this as a huge revenue increase and maybe that's why they did caps?

Cell phones back in the day made landline calling less convenient.. Why not use the cell phone that you can use all around town and home? .. So minutes were the big thing and were expensive. Fast forward.. Now data is the big ticket and.. That's exactly what they made expansive now.

except it's a reverse. We went from "unlimited" minutes to a set limit and back to unlimited when less calls were made eventually

and we went from "unlimited" data to limited data

However, I don't have a problem with throttling up to a certain extent. I think 128 kbps is way too slow to throttle. I think a "fair" throttle would be around 1 mbps. If i had at least 1 mbps everywhere I went, I wouldn't complain much.
    05-16-2014 04:18 PM
    It's not about hurting others at that moment, (which it does if you and hundreds of other ppl are doing the exact same thing) but its about hurting us the consumers when networks change their policies and then restrict us, we all complain, hell breaks loose, and we ask ourselves why?

Oh wait, its because ppl took advantage of the network and now we are being restricted......or limited!

Sprint's data network has never been up to par with its competitors in the past (not speaking of the future... potentially) so not much to take advantage of.
    05-16-2014 04:20 PM
    Sprint's data network has never been up to par with its competitors in the past (not speaking of the future... potentially) so not much to take advantage of.
    He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. Heck, I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

05-16-2014 04:40 PM
    He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

My normal usage is usually 40-80 GB a month. I don't think that's unreasonable. That's Netflix.. Music.. Etc.

I also use wifi at home (I don't use T-Mobile as my ISP).

05-16-2014 05:02 PM
    He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

Sprint's bleeding customers left and right for the last few years. What are you talking about people are killing sprint's network? People are leaving sprint and their network has always stunk.

Plain and simple, Sprint is the only one to blame for not maintaining their network.

Tmobile currently has the better network, and hasn't degraded due to individuals who "abuse" the system because they have a much much better backhaul.

Sprint's a lousy mess with spectrum all over the place. They delayed their network vision, spark network etc. etc. etc.
    05-16-2014 05:11 PM
    Sprint's bleeding customers left and right for the last few years. What are you talking about people are killing sprint's network? People are leaving sprint and their network has always stunk.

Plain and simple, Sprint is the only one to blame for not maintaining their network.

Tmobile currently has the better network, and hasn't degraded due to individuals who "abuse" the system because they have a much much better backhaul.

Sprint's a lousy mess with spectrum all over the place. They delayed their network vision, spark network etc. etc. etc.
    If you would take the time to read better, you would see I wrote; in the very near future. When T-Mobile is just 'another' carrier left behind by Sprint Spark (I just added that btw lol)

05-16-2014 06:12 PM
    If you would take the time to read better, you would see I wrote; in the very near future. When T-Mobile is just 'another' carrier left behind by Sprint Spark (I just added that btw lol)

When is the "near" future? Sprint's future projects have always taken forever to accomplish. Network vision hardly even started until they decided to scrap that and start "Spark"
    05-16-2014 06:54 PM
    Am I wrong or is Spark something that will only be available in cities?
    05-16-2014 07:36 PM
    When is the "near" future? Sprint's future projects have always taken forever to accomplish. Network vision hardly even started until they decided to scrap that and start "Spark"
    Do you currently have Sprint? If you research, you would see the only thing sprint has scratched has been WiMax. NV has taken long yes, that's because the network is from scratch. They aren't just upgrading, they are rebuilding it from 0. If you didn't know, Spark falls under NV as that's the whole purpose for NV, rolling out LTE on band 25 and then expanding to bands 26 and 45: aka A-LTE. I don't see ANY other network doing that. Just think of it this way, Sprint is going to blast of from the 1990's to 2020 by end of next year. So when another network scratches up some plans, then rebuilds its entire infrastructure from scratch AND deploys A-LTE fast in under a year with NO hiccups, let me know and I'll come back here and eat my words.

TraderGary and Overstew like this.
    05-16-2014 08:42 PM
    Do you currently have Sprint? If you research, you would see the only thing sprint has scratched has been WiMax. NV has taken long yes, that's because the network is from scratch. They aren't just upgrading, they are rebuilding it from 0. If you didn't know, Spark falls under NV as that's the whole purpose for NV, rolling out LTE on band 25 and then expanding to bands 26 and 45: aka A-LTE. I don't see ANY other network doing that. Just think of it this way, Sprint is going to blast of from the 1990's to 2020 by end of next year. So when another network scratches up some plans, then rebuilds its entire infrastructure from scratch AND deploys A-LTE fast in under a year with NO hiccups, let me know and I'll come back here and eat my words.

I've had Sprint since 2004. I switched to Tmobile a month ago, Tmobile doesn't even have 20x20 mhz spectrum in my area. From what I've researched, most Tmobile can deploy is 15x15 in chicago, good enough for me since all their towers have a fiber backahul. I'm in a Spark market (Chicago) I can certainly tell you that Sprint's network is the worst its ever been. I've made countless bad decisions by sticking with Sprint hoping they would fix their network. They, in fact, did the opposite. Their 3G speeds are the slowest they've ever been, their LTE is a complete joke.

I'm in a spark market, The fastest speed I've gotten with my nexus 5 was about 8 mbps down. The fastest I've gotten with tmobile so far has been around 50 mbps. In my own house with full bars of LTE, I got 1 mbps with sprint, same spot gives me 40 with tmobile. Spark has been "enabled" in Chicago since December. My speeds are in fact, no better, possibly worse. You know the best thing of all. "Throttled" Tmobile speeds at 128 kbps is actually much much much more usable than Sprint's 3G, the most I've ever been able to pull from Sprint's 3G the last few months was 0.02 mbps down and that's with extremely high latency (close to 500-600 ms ping)

Sprint's all talk. Let me know when they actually fix their network. I used to never get a drop call from Sprint before. I've been getting dropped calls left and right. Maybe if this Mr. Son guy tries to actually invest money in his network things would change, but nope, he goes and tries to buy a carrier with a better network since he's so lazy to fix his own network. I can gladly post up speed test pics if I can find them to back up any claims. I'm not in a rural area, I'm 25 miles west from Chicago. The network even gets worse when I do go downtown.

Wimax, LTE, network vision, Spark etc. etc. etc. Has any of Sprint's plans gone through?

You keep saying Spark is some sort of magical new network. If what your saying is true, I've had "spark" minus the 800 mhz lte band (i'll give you that one since the update hasn't enabled that band for the nexus yet) for about 6 months now. But the problem is I do get signal with sprint (so 800 mhz lte band doesnt matter that much for me), it's just their damn backhaul that's a complete joke. You know, tmobile has deployed LTE in a year (granted they made a sound investment by previously upgrading their backhaul.) What's Sprint's excuse for continuously falling behind each and every project they've tried to set out.

The only thing Sprint has going for it is hoarding all that spectrum (more than ATT+verizon combined). But I hope FCC implements a new rule that incorporates a USE IT OR LOSE IT rule
    05-16-2014 09:54 PM

AT&T offers LTE-A with carrier aggregation on the M8 and S5. I believe that they are the only US variants to offer carrier aggregation.
    05-17-2014 01:56 AM

I've had Sprint since 2004. I switched to Tmobile a month ago, Tmobile doesn't even have 20x20 mhz spectrum in my area. From what I've researched, most Tmobile can deploy is 15x15 in chicago, good enough for me since all their towers have a fiber backahul. I'm in a Spark market (Chicago) I can certainly tell you that Sprint's network is the worst its ever been. I've made countless bad decisions by sticking with Sprint hoping they would fix their network. They, in fact, did the opposite. Their 3G speeds are the slowest they've ever been, their LTE is a complete joke.

I'm in a spark market, The fastest speed I've gotten with my nexus 5 was about 8 mbps down. The fastest I've gotten with tmobile so far has been around 50 mbps. In my own house with full bars of LTE, I got 1 mbps with sprint, same spot gives me 40 with tmobile. Spark has been "enabled" in Chicago since December. My speeds are in fact, no better, possibly worse. You know the best thing of all. "Throttled" Tmobile speeds at 128 kbps is actually much much much more usable than Sprint's 3G, the most I've ever been able to pull from Sprint's 3G the last few months was 0.02 mbps down and that's with extremely high latency (close to 500-600 ms ping)

Sprint's all talk. Let me know when they actually fix their network. I used to never get a drop call from Sprint before. I've been getting dropped calls left and right. Maybe if this Mr. Son guy tries to actually invest money in his network things would change, but nope, he goes and tries to buy a carrier with a better network since he's so lazy to fix his own network. I can gladly post up speed test pics if I can find them to back up any claims. I'm not in a rural area, I'm 25 miles west from Chicago. The network even gets worse when I do go downtown.

Wimax, LTE, network vision, Spark etc. etc. etc. Has any of Sprint's plans gone through?

You keep saying Spark is some sort of magical new network. If what your saying is true, I've had "spark" minus the 800 mhz lte band (i'll give you that one since the update hasn't enabled that band for the nexus yet) for about 6 months now. But the problem is I do get signal with sprint (so 800 mhz lte band doesnt matter that much for me), it's just their damn backhaul that's a complete joke. You know, tmobile has deployed LTE in a year (granted they made a sound investment by previously upgrading their backhaul.) What's Sprint's excuse for continuously falling behind each and every project they've tried to set out.

The only thing Sprint has going for it is hoarding all that spectrum (more than ATT+verizon combined). But I hope FCC implements a new rule that incorporates a USE IT OR LOSE IT rule
    Show me a pic where you got 8mb on your Nexus 5 while on Spark band 41....lol? Even manually, the N5 won't have Spark until Google releases the update (manually doesn't work). You have some key points that I agree with....but others things you said, I understand out of desperation of being a victim of the NV implementation. I just got 55mb the other day on a usually HORRIBLE signal area with Sprint. Again, when another network tries to do all the things Sprint is doing, in under a year, and keeping their customers happy at the same time while they fix issues, come back and talk to me. In the meantime, keep enjoying T-Mobile :-) just don't hope you get lost traveling, without signal, without data, without a physical map lol :-P

05-17-2014 10:43 AM
    AT&T offers LTE-A with carrier aggregation on the M8 and S5. I believe that they are the only US variants to offer carrier aggregation.
    Yes and no. They began testing....but don't offer it yet.
    Plus, they don't have any Network renovations to worry about, like building a Network from 0...so when it rolls out, I'm sure ATT will do it in a breeze.

05-17-2014 10:45 AM
    Show me a pic where you got 8mb on your Nexus 5 while on Spark band 41....lol? Even manually, the N5 won't have Spark until Google releases the update (manually doesn't work). You have some key points that I agree with....but others things you said, I understand out of desperation of being a victim of the NV implementation. I just got 55mb the other day on a usually HORRIBLE signal area with Sprint. Again, when another network tries to do all the things Sprint is doing, in under a year, and keeping their customers happy at the same time while they fix issues, come back and talk to me. In the meantime, keep enjoying T-Mobile :-) just don't hope you get lost traveling, without signal, without data, without a physical map lol :-P

It's up in the air whether Sprint can completely upgrade their network by this year or even next year's span.

Another reason why I switched to Tmobile was also due to phone selection. I was getting tired of carrier updates. While I do love my nexus 5, I might sell it and buy a GS5 google play edition when it releases. GSM phones are just overall cheaper and easier to get away from the carrier with compared to CDMA phones which are tied down to the carrier. I had to deal with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus fiasco and never again will I ever purchase a phone that is anywhere associated with the carrier being in charge of the updates.

Plus Tmobile was giving me tethering, international data roaming, stateside international texting. Not everyone might use these features, but to me, it was just icing on the cake to the better network where I live.
    05-17-2014 03:41 PM
    I feel like my speed is already being throttled. My LTE sucks in places where it used to be super fast

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-17-2014 04:29 PM
    I've found GPS works just fine on edge. Hence how I was able to drive from Jacksonville to New Jersey with no issue .

05-17-2014 07:12 PM
    I've found GPS works just fine on edge. Hence how I was able to drive from Jacksonville to New Jersey with no issue .

wait til next year when that edge turns into LTE
    05-17-2014 07:39 PM
    So I read through the whole thread and it's mostly about speeds. But I have a question if anyone could answer or tell me where to find it.

What is considered a congested area? What is the top 5%? Is it a certain amount(rumour says 5GB but nothing for sure) or is it just the top 5% on that tower at the moment? When they throttle you will it stay throttled between areas?(like if you're traveling vs staying at home) For how long during just rush hour or until next cycle?

Have they released any of those details?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    05-18-2014 10:48 AM
    It'll be pretty much anywhere that has a high population (over 5k). This will pretty much effect every market across the country.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-18-2014 12:00 PM
    Yes and no. They began testing....but don't offer it yet.
    Plus, they don't have any Network renovations to worry about, like building a Network from 0...so when it rolls out, I'm sure ATT will do it in a breeze.

Carrier aggregation is available now on att.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ets/2014-03-07

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    05-18-2014 02:44 PM

He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. Heck, I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

You mention 3 bands (25,26,and 41) with lte-a and 300mbps next year.

To use 3 bands at once, Sprint would have to enable carrier aggregation. The 801 in the m8 and s5 supports aggregating only 2-10 MHz carriers. The 808 and 810 should allow aggregating up to 3-20mhz carriers and should be released in the first half of next year so probably the s6 and m9 might use them. Now, bands 25 and 26 are 5x5mhz carriers mostly, and band 41 can offer multiple 20mhz carriers. But since you said lte-a with bands 25,26,and 41 next year, you are limited to a single carrier of each of the 3 bands. Each 5x5mhz carrier (Bands 25 and 26)can have a downlink of about 37.5mbps,and the 20mhz band 41 carrier can have 63 mbps downlink. I am not sure how you get to 300mbps from aggregating a single carrier from each of the 3 bands. Please provide us with more details on this, a link would be great.

Imo, the only way I see this happening is with 3-20mhz carriers from band 41. Can you please clarify ?

Almeuit likes this.
    05-18-2014 02:56 PM

To use 3 bands at once, Sprint would have to enable carrier aggregation. The 801 in the m8 and s5 supports aggregating only 2-10 MHz carriers. The 808 and 810 should allow aggregating up to 3-20mhz carriers and should be released in the first half of next year so probably the s6 and m9 might use them. Now, bands 25 and 26 are 5x5mhz carriers mostly, and band 41 can offer multiple 20mhz carriers. But since you said lte-a with bands 25,26,and 41 next year, you are limited to a single carrier of each of the 3 bands. Each 5x5mhz carrier (Bands 25 and 26)can have a downlink of about 37.5mbps,and the 20mhz band 41 carrier can have 63 mbps downlink. I am not sure how you get to 300mbps from aggregating a single carrier from each of the 3 bands. Please provide us with more details on this, a link would be great.

Imo, the only way I see this happening is with 3-20mhz carriers from band 41. Can you please clarify ?

Sprint is definitely working on carrier aggregation but I do think Sprint is more likely to see B41 on 40mhz channels pulling the faster speeds. But as of now, they're rolling out N41 on 20mhz channels so it'll match Verizon's AWS speeds that's around 140mbps.

Sent from my LG-LS980
    05-18-2014 11:09 PM

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/10...spark-service/

http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topi...ad-its-lte.htm

Enjoy.... ;-)
    Btw, if you really look around you will find many articles and videos that back this up.

05-19-2014 10:56 AM
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/10...spark-service/

http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topi...ad-its-lte.htm

Enjoy.... ;-)
    Btw, if you really look around you will find many articles and videos that back this up.

Sprint has said 60 mbps the next few years. I didn't see anywhere where Sprint said 300mbps next year.

And Sprint said that it would need 2-60mhz carriers to get 180 mbps. Next year, the top end snapdragon 808 and 810 would only be able to utilize 3-20mhz carriers maximum. In any event, still well under 300mbps next year

" In the near term, over the next three years, speeds are likely to reach 50 Mbps to 60 Mbps, according to Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO.
    Sprint Spark (Sprints LTE service) is currently rolling out in parts of Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Miami and Tampa.
    Hesse said that Spark is available in around 25 percent of those initial markets. Eventually, says Hesse, Sprint could bond together two 60 MHz channels at 2.5 GHz, allowing Sprint to deliver speeds of 150 Mbps to 180 Mbps."

Almeuit likes this.
    05-19-2014 11:39 AM
93 1234