Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I hope this doesnt affect my service too much. I really don't want to leave Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Bad news for Sprint unlimited users who have high usage. I wonder how many would move to tmobile to get unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE.

Also I wonder if this would be grounds to terminate the contract without paying etf. Probably they are covered legally speaking, though. Though if you move to tmobile, this won't be an issue anyway.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope this doesnt affect my service too much. I really don't want to leave Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

From the linked news source Almeuit posted, the top 5% will most likely include anyone using over 5GB of data. I don't know if that is per account or per line. But that would have included me.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint begins to throttle

I live in Miami and I have LTE about 90% of the time on my N5. I hit about 8-12gigs a month of data usage....

Sprint is no where near the speeds of the competition, why would they throttle the already average to low speeds??

Link below.
Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas

Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas | Android Central

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sprint begins to throttle

I live in Miami and I have LTE about 90% of the time on my N5. I hit about 8-12gigs a month of data usage....

Sprint is no where near the speeds of the competition, why would they throttle the already average to low speeds??

Link below.
Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas

Sprint begins throttling users in congested areas | Android Central

They are throttling to try and help the network. Not everyone gets LTE like you so some 3g areas are worse than having dial up Internet.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

They are throttling to try and help the network. Not everyone gets LTE like you so some 3g areas are worse than having dial up Internet.

Yea I'm sure, but I doubt they will throttle 3G users .... So by throttling LTE users, 3G users will benefit??

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yea I'm sure, but I doubt they will throttle 3G users .... So by throttling LTE users, 3G users will benefit??

when those top 5% users enter an area (3g or 4g) then they would be throttled if it is a high load tower.

So if an usually lte user goes to a 3g area then he would be throttled if in the top 5%,allowing for more bandwidth for the other 3g users

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I'm going to have to watch my data usage I might as well move to att. Granted I would only have 10 GB for my 3 lines but considering I'm the only one that uses more than 1 it still comes out cheaper. And I get better coverage and faster speeds.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that explains why I sit in my car staring at the Sprint tower 300 feet away and Pandora keeps cutting out on my hi-tech LG G2 Tri-Band phone. My Sprint Spark 2G speeds are being throttled.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So much for not throttling their users. Didn't they use that in a campaign to get more users to sign up with them last year? "TRULY Unlimited and NOT Throttled" is what I thought it said....Oh well! I hope it does not make their user base leave. (Heavy users)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So much for not throttling their users. Didn't they use that in a campaign to get more users to sign up with them last year? "TRULY Unlimited and NOT Throttled" is what I thought it said....Oh well! I hope it does not make their user base leave. (Heavy users)

Yeah they used to brag about no throttle but now that's changed :(.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they used to brag about no throttle but now that's changed :(.

That sorta sucks. But if people are using a TON of data and they need to make sure it works for the rest of the area then I guess I would understand.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That sorta sucks. But if people are using a TON of data and they need to make sure it works for the rest of the area then I guess I would understand.

Yup, it makes sense. Then that next person complaints; **** service sucks. Well, I wonder how many other ppl are hogging it with extreme data usage...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup, it makes sense. Then that next person complaints; **** service sucks. Well, I wonder how many other ppl are hogging it with extreme data usage...

Sometimes that can be the case but alot of people can't even use the service throttle or not. They have lots of work to use.

It's more they screamed no throttle and true unlimited.. Are now working on the network... And throttle people? It's just bad timing.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
No throttling will not benefit anyone. By doing this, people spend more time on the network to load a simple webpage. Throttling kills a network...

Posted via Android Central App

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes that can be the case but alot of people can't even use the service throttle or not. They have lots of work to use.

It's more they screamed no throttle and true unlimited.. Are now working on the network... And throttle people? It's just bad timing.

This is exactly why they're doing it. You're likely a victim of data abusers in your area and it's ruining your experience with Sprint and you've already begun complaining about the networks performance. It only takes like ~3 users maxing out the data on a sector to make speeds unbearable for the rest.

I was under a B41 site today with a -88dBm threshold today and pulled only 8mbps. B41 at that dBm typically pulls ~60mbps so I can only imagine someone's to renting or using Netflix constantly on the site and it's degrading the network. Surely 8mbps is very good, and I'm not complaining about it, but it is a good example to post here.

Sprints doing this to either control the heavy users or make them leave and in either scenario, Sprint comes out on top because the data abusers cost Sprint more than they're worth.

Sent from my LG-LS980

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe If they only throttled the top 1 percent, it wouldn't be big of an issue or have at least some what of a cutoff like 20gb

-Sent from Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1