Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why they're doing it. You're likely a victim of data abusers in your area and it's ruining your experience with Sprint and you've already begun complaining about the networks performance. It only takes like ~3 users maxing out the data on a sector to make speeds unbearable for the rest.

I was under a B41 site today with a -88dBm threshold today and pulled only 8mbps. B41 at that dBm typically pulls ~60mbps so I can only imagine someone's to renting or using Netflix constantly on the site and it's degrading the network. Surely 8mbps is very good, and I'm not complaining about it, but it is a good example to post here.

Sprints doing this to either control the heavy users or make them leave and in either scenario, Sprint comes out on top because the data abusers cost Sprint more than they're worth.

Sent from my LG-LS980

No... It's Sprints 3g not data users. They don't upgrade their infrastructure so now it's way to saturated and can't handle the people.. It's Sprints fault. It's not the customers fault for using data that is advertised as an all you can eat buffet. That's not right.... Tell people you have unlimited data then get mad when they use it?....

With T-Mobile I have me and a few coworkers using our data heavily... And I know there are more users in the area.. And we still pull the speeds below. If 3 users can bring Sprint to its knees that 110% their fault for not keeping their network up with the growing smartphone demand and yet telling people to come use unlimited data.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1400098358812.jpg
    1400098358812.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1400098377850.jpg
    1400098377850.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1400098388372.jpg
    1400098388372.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 49

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why they're doing it. You're likely a victim of data abusers in your area and it's ruining your experience with Sprint and you've already begun complaining about the networks performance. It only takes like ~3 users maxing out the data on a sector to make speeds unbearable for the rest.

I was under a B41 site today with a -88dBm threshold today and pulled only 8mbps. B41 at that dBm typically pulls ~60mbps so I can only imagine someone's to renting or using Netflix constantly on the site and it's degrading the network. Surely 8mbps is very good, and I'm not complaining about it, but it is a good example to post here.

Sprints doing this to either control the heavy users or make them leave and in either scenario, Sprint comes out on top because the data abusers cost Sprint more than they're worth.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I would hope that Sprint?s system is more durable. I have verizon and work in a high rise amongst multiple high rises. My building alone has thousands of people.

I can still pull good speeds
ysagujev.jpg

a4usyna2.jpg

Even at the Super Bowl, Verizon aws lte was able to pull over 20mbps average at the stadium.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No... It's Sprints 3g not data users. They don't upgrade their infrastructure so now it's way to saturated and can't handle the people.. It's Sprints fault. It's not the customers fault for using data that is advertised as an all you can eat buffet. That's not right.... Tell people you have unlimited data then get mad when they use it?....

With T-Mobile I have me and a few coworkers using our data heavily... And I know there are more users in the area.. And we still pull the speeds below. If 3 users can bring Sprint to its knees that 110% their fault for not keeping their network up with the growing smartphone demand and yet telling people to come use unlimited data.

So the bigger question is why hasnt sprint been upgrading their network?

First, Network vision, then Spark. Marketing scheme after marketing scheme without fixing the real problem. still no where as impressive as they claim it to be. Sad thing is I used to never have dropped calls with Sprint, I've been getting dropped calls left and right (never had happened before) with Sprint and got fed up with it and switched to T-mobile. I was pulling 1 mbps down with my nexus 5 (I'm in a Spark area), and now I pull 30 mbps down with tmobile in my house.

They have money now (well have had money for almost a year now) with Softbank. So what's the problem with Sprint being so crappy the last few years (more importantly this last year with $$$$ from softbank)

I honestly hope FCC raises hell with Sprint and takes back all of that unused spectrum they're hoarding, and gives T-mobile their $1 billion for a failed merger.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So the bigger question is why hasnt sprint been upgrading their network?

First, Network vision, then Spark. Marketing scheme after marketing scheme without fixing the real problem. still no where as impressive as they claim it to be. Sad thing is I used to never have dropped calls with Sprint, I've been getting dropped calls left and right (never had happened before) with Sprint and got fed up with it and switched to T-mobile. I was pulling 1 mbps down with my nexus 5 (I'm in a Spark area), and now I pull 30 mbps down with tmobile in my house.

They have money now (well have had money for almost a year now) with Softbank. So what's the problem with Sprint being so crappy the last few years (more importantly this last year with $$$$ from softbank)

I honestly hope FCC raises hell with Sprint and takes back all of that unused spectrum they're hoarding, and gives T-mobile their $1 billion for a failed merger.

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 5 Speed test.: http://youtu.be/QWu0KwhfsZA

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 5 Speed test.: http://youtu.be/QWu0KwhfsZA

Yes Spark can hit high speeds but notice how you're having to post a video of someone else doing it instead of yourself. These speeds are in limited areas.. Most areas get under 1 Mbit on 3g...and some even that bad on LTE. Their network as a whole is suffering. Some areas are okay but the grand majority isn't and that is where Sprint is failing.

If they can get Spark rolled out fast enough it will make a world of a difference but until then the majority have crap speeds and simply can't even use data at some points.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes Spark can hit high speeds but notice how you're having to post a video of someone else doing it instead of yourself. These speeds are in limited areas.. Most areas get under 1 Mbit on 3g...and some even that bad on LTE. Their network as a whole is suffering. Some areas are okay but the grand majority isn't and that is where Sprint is failing.

If they can get Spark rolled out fast enough it will make a world of a difference but until then the majority have crap speeds and simply can't even use data at some points.

Well, that's just like T-Mobile's pretty bad call quality in and out of cities. If they can hurry up with that...well, you know :p
Just because I didn't record it doesn't meant I don't have it. I'm just showing what everyone will have very soon :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's just like T-Mobile's pretty bad call quality in and out of cities. If they can hurry up with that...well, you know :p
Just because I didn't record it doesn't meant I don't have it. I'm just showing what everyone will have very soon :)

Bad call quality? Where? I've always been able to make calls when in between cities. I drove from Jacksonville to New Jersey and didn't have one spot I couldn't call or text.. I had edge in between for data sure.. But didn't have an issue with calls.. So where are you getting that information from?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Bad call quality? Where? I've always been able to make calls when in between cities. I drove from Jacksonville to New Jersey and didn't have one spot I couldn't call or text.. I had edge in between for data sure.. But didn't have an issue with calls.. So where are you getting that information from?

From T-Mobile's own forums....and ppl I know on T-Mobile. Great speeds tho, very impressive.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
They really messed up their network when they introduced triband phones on the spark network. Some software that keep handoffs between bands isn't going as well as planned ( research csfb ). Basically if you upgraded a to a triband phone you might not get LTE in a area where you had it before. I really am thinking of leaving because of this and the throttle.

Posted via Android Central App

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

They are upgrading their 3G network by adding additional back haul to its EvDo sites. Instead of T1 lines, EvDo data runs through fiber, just like LTE. Sprint's current LTE (on the PCS band) is running on a 5x5 MHz channel due to spectrum constraints. Because of this, the amount of users are limited to slower throughput and speeds. T-Mobile has went ahead and rolled out 10x10 and 20x20mhz carriers in areas that their spectrum has allowed. This is why T-Mobile can attain faster speeds than Sprint as of now.

Sprint is rolling out B41 (Clearwires spectrum) in 20mhz channels which is live in certain cities now and growing. Sprint's B41 can pull around ~70mbps at the moment and can scale up to 168mbps if the back haul allows it.

To top that off, Sprint is also rolling out B26 on most sites to allow for better building penetration and general coverage. The throttling only applies to people that are influencing others negatively on the network.

All of the carriers have the right to throttle your speeds. It's in the ToS. I feel like this new policy they're enforcing will keep at bay those that have cancelled their ISP because they have LTE at home via Sprint.

I do think Sprint has the most potential of all carriers down the road, but it's going to take a lot of time to get the product they're looking for because they're rebuilding their entire network, not just upgrading it with overlays.

Sent from my LG-LS980

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
They are upgrading their 3G network by adding additional back haul to its EvDo sites. Instead of T1 lines, EvDo data runs through fiber, just like LTE. Sprint's current LTE (on the PCS band) is running on a 5x5 MHz channel due to spectrum constraints. Because of this, the amount of users are limited to slower throughput and speeds. T-Mobile has went ahead and rolled out 10x10 and 20x20mhz carriers in areas that their spectrum has allowed. This is why T-Mobile can attain faster speeds than Sprint as of now.

Sprint is rolling out B41 (Clearwires spectrum) in 20mhz channels which is live in certain cities now and growing. Sprint's B41 can pull around ~70mbps at the moment and can scale up to 168mbps if the back haul allows it.

To top that off, Sprint is also rolling out B26 on most sites to allow for better building penetration and general coverage. The throttling only applies to people that are influencing others negatively on the network.

All of the carriers have the right to throttle your speeds. It's in the ToS. I feel like this new policy they're enforcing will keep at bay those that have cancelled their ISP because they have LTE at home via Sprint.

I do think Sprint has the most potential of all carriers down the road, but it's going to take a lot of time to get the product they're looking for because they're rebuilding their entire network, not just upgrading it with overlays.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Couldn't of said it better myself.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my LG-LS980

Can't speak for other carriers, but Verizon's 4GLTE is unthrottled even for those on the unlimited data plan.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my LG-LS980

Can't speak for other carriers, but Verizon's 4GLTE is unthrottled even for those on the unlimited data plan.

Yeah T-Mobile doesn't throttle either (see below) when on the unlimited plan. See speed and data usage below for this cycle.

Overstew I get what you're saying.. And as I've started they are in a bad spot now... And yes they have potential but they've had it for a long time.. They just let the ball drop. To me a few cities pulling good speed where 80 percent or whatever has crap isn't right.. Most have to live with horrible speeds. Sprint didn't get the reputation for bad speeds over night.. It's from customer of 10, 12, 15 years etc finally giving up on the promises made over and over. I had to leave.. My 3g was slower than dial up.. Really it was... For a year. For a year I had to suffer with that.. Couldn't take it and had to switch.

Even if they have potential down the road here is what confuses me... What does that have to do with now? If it's crap now most should go elsewhere.. And go back once it's fixed. Sprint isn't going to give you any benefits for staying.. They did away with their customer loyalty program. So you get nothing for sticking through something like that. Now as I said if you have good speeds well then you're good to go.. Of course no reason to switch. But for most people that were in my shoes.. Having Google searches time out... I'm sorry.. No thanks.

Attachments

• 1400248158933.jpg
    1400248158933.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1400248169296.jpg
    1400248169296.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 35

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also where you have the high speed on Sprint, is it a high load area? That makes a big difference. Getting high speeds in the middle of nowhere doesn't really mean much. Also it depends on how many people in the area are on Sprint. I talked to my co-workers and I know people on Verizon, tmobile, and att, but no one that I talked to used Sprint. Obviously I didn't survey the thousands of people in my building, but my guess is load on Sprint towers is much lower than Verizon towers.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah T-Mobile doesn't throttle either (see below) when on the unlimited plan. See speed and data usage below for this cycle.

Overstew I get what you're saying.. And as I've started they are in a bad spot now... And yes they have potential but they've had it for a long time.. They just let the ball drop. To me a few cities pulling good speed where 80 percent or whatever has crap isn't right.. Most have to live with horrible speeds. Sprint didn't get the reputation for bad speeds over night.. It's from customer of 10, 12, 15 years etc finally giving up on the promises made over and over. I had to leave.. My 3g was slower than dial up.. Really it was... For a year. For a year I had to suffer with that.. Couldn't take it and had to switch.

Even if they have potential down the road here is what confuses me... What does that have to do with now? If it's crap now most should go elsewhere.. And go back once it's fixed. Sprint isn't going to give you any benefits for staying.. They did away with their customer loyalty program. So you get nothing for sticking through something like that. Now as I said if you have good speeds well then you're good to go.. Of course no reason to switch. But for most people that were in my shoes.. Having Google searches time out... I'm sorry.. No thanks.

I really couldn't have said it better myself. Sprint was scheduled to have LTE fully implemented in my area in the Spring 2013, and still hasn't yet. All over the Sprint community forums is 'We have so much exciting things happening' and 'Just wait a little longer, it will get better'.

To me, if Spark could be fully implemented across the US immediately, would only put Sprint where they needed to be about 6 months ago. Now, here is the real catch: Spark won't be fully launched for another 2-3 years.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
633gb and 1.4tb.... Both in under 10 days.
This is why all good things MUST come to an end! :facepalm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL