Sprint to start Throttling Top 5% in Congested Areas

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
633gb and 1.4tb.... Both in under 10 days.
This is why all good things MUST come to an end! :facepalm:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

May I ask what is the difference between them properly using their mobile internet versus the same amount on say Xfinity, or Time Warner?

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
633gb and 1.4tb.... Both in under 10 days.
This is why all good things MUST come to an end! :facepalm:

Aren't you a fan of unlimited? You always say you have a Sprint Truly Unlimited plan.. Which means.. You should be allowed to use 1 MB or 1 TB right? :cool:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
May I ask what is the difference between them properly using their mobile internet versus the same amount on say Xfinity, or Time Warner?

From an SOKP Nexus 5

To add to that, I use hotspot.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Aren't you a fan of unlimited? You always say you have a Sprint Truly Unlimited plan.. Which means.. You should be allowed to use 1 MB or 1 TB right? :cool:.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

The difference is, to answer both of you; I'm not selfish and take advantage with an end result of making the network worse for everyone else. AND then, everyone pays the consequences for either throttled networks and/or data caps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The difference is, to answer both of you; I'm not selfish and take advantage with an end result of making the network worse for everyone else. AND then, everyone pays the consequences for either throttled networks and/or data caps.

How is it selfish or taking advantage, if they are using the mobile Internet within the ToS of the carrier?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

How is it selfish or taking advantage, if they are using the mobile Internet within the ToS of the carrier?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

This. Also with me using that I pulled 50 Mbit.. How.. Am I hurting others? My coworkers are pulling the same speeds as me even with my downloading.. Which is all phone and not rooted tether or anything.

Attachments

• 1400261154266.jpg
    1400261154266.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1400261167802.jpg
    1400261167802.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 28

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Are they really using it for MOBILE use? Impossible. There has to be tethering involved. You would literally have to have your face glued non stop to the screen downloading music while watching YouTube et. A terabyte just for mobile use, come on.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are they really using it for MOBILE use? Impossible. There has to be tethering involved. You would literally have to have your face glued non stop to the screen downloading music while watching YouTube et. A terabyte just for mobile use, come on.

Posted via Android Central App

Oh no I don't tether but dpham does. But again that's within his carriers ToS. Verizon allows unlimited data to the phone.. And for $30 more a month.. Unlimited tether. So he can tether like that if he wants.. It's well within his agreement.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has enough aws lte capacity here. I can pull 40-65mbps speed tests mid day. Does it affect others? Sure. But marginally so. If I am getting 65mbps, it doesn't mean that the Verizon guy next to me would only get 3 mbps. No, he would get close to what I get.

Verizon has the most customer unfriendly policies. They have had their LTE network up since 2010. If they were going to implement throttling of 4GLTE or caps on the unlimited plan, then they would have by now.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This. Also with me using that I pulled 50 Mbit.. How.. Am I hurting others? My coworkers are pulling the same speeds as me even with my downloading.. Which is all phone and not rooted tether or anything.

It's not about hurting others at that moment, (which it does if you and hundreds of other ppl are doing the exact same thing) but its about hurting us the consumers when networks change their policies and then restrict us, we all complain, hell breaks loose, and we ask ourselves why?

Oh wait, its because ppl took advantage of the network and now we are being restricted......or limited!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not about hurting others at that moment, (which it does if you and hundreds of other ppl are doing the exact same thing) but its about hurting us the consumers when networks change their policies and then restrict us, we all complain, hell breaks loose, and we ask ourselves why?

Oh wait, its because ppl took advantage of the network and now we are being restricted......or limited!

And you think.. By maybe a small chance.. They didn't see this as a huge revenue increase and maybe that's why they did caps?

Cell phones back in the day made landline calling less convenient.. Why not use the cell phone that you can use all around town and home? .. So minutes were the big thing and were expensive. Fast forward.. Now data is the big ticket and.. That's exactly what they made expansive now.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
And you think.. By maybe a small chance.. They didn't see this as a huge revenue increase and maybe that's why they did caps?

Cell phones back in the day made landline calling less convenient.. Why not use the cell phone that you can use all around town and home? .. So minutes were the big thing and were expensive. Fast forward.. Now data is the big ticket and.. That's exactly what they made expansive now.

except it's a reverse. We went from "unlimited" minutes to a set limit and back to unlimited when less calls were made eventually

and we went from "unlimited" data to limited data

However, I don't have a problem with throttling up to a certain extent. I think 128 kbps is way too slow to throttle. I think a "fair" throttle would be around 1 mbps. If i had at least 1 mbps everywhere I went, I wouldn't complain much.

Last edited:

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Sprint's data network has never been up to par with its competitors in the past (not speaking of the future... potentially) so not much to take advantage of.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint's data network has never been up to par with its competitors in the past (not speaking of the future... potentially) so not much to take advantage of.

He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. Heck, I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

My normal usage is usually 40-80 GB a month. I don't think that's unreasonable. That's Netflix.. Music.. Etc.

I also use wifi at home (I don't use T-Mobile as my ISP).

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
He's on T-Mobile and ....I meant his network and possibly mine in the very near future. [inappropriate language removed by moderators] I already use up to 15gb and that's normal usage, no abuse. Imagine when Spark goes up fro 60-70mb, to 168-300mb in the next year..... Watch, more ppl like him will come over to kill our Network and then make the policies and restrictions worse for us regular users.

Sprint's bleeding customers left and right for the last few years. What are you talking about people are killing sprint's network? People are leaving sprint and their network has always stunk.

Plain and simple, Sprint is the only one to blame for not maintaining their network.

Tmobile currently has the better network, and hasn't degraded due to individuals who "abuse" the system because they have a much much better backhaul.

Sprint's a lousy mess with spectrum all over the place. They delayed their network vision, spark network etc. etc. etc.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint's bleeding customers left and right for the last few years. What are you talking about people are killing sprint's network? People are leaving sprint and their network has always stunk.

Plain and simple, Sprint is the only one to blame for not maintaining their network.

Tmobile currently has the better network, and hasn't degraded due to individuals who "abuse" the system because they have a much much better backhaul.

Sprint's a lousy mess with spectrum all over the place. They delayed their network vision, spark network etc. etc. etc.

If you would take the time to read better, you would see I wrote; in the very near future. When T-Mobile is just 'another' carrier left behind by Sprint Spark (I just added that btw lol)

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you would take the time to read better, you would see I wrote; in the very near future. When T-Mobile is just 'another' carrier left behind by Sprint Spark (I just added that btw lol)

When is the "near" future? Sprint's future projects have always taken forever to accomplish. Network vision hardly even started until they decided to scrap that and start "Spark"

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
When is the "near" future? Sprint's future projects have always taken forever to accomplish. Network vision hardly even started until they decided to scrap that and start "Spark"

Do you currently have Sprint? If you research, you would see the only thing sprint has scratched has been WiMax. NV has taken long yes, that's because the network is from scratch. They aren't just upgrading, they are rebuilding it from 0. If you didn't know, Spark falls under NV as that's the whole purpose for NV, rolling out LTE on band 25 and then expanding to bands 26 and 45: aka A-LTE. I don't see ANY other network doing that. Just think of it this way, Sprint is going to blast of from the 1990's to 2020 by end of next year. So when another network scratches up some plans, then rebuilds its entire infrastructure from scratch AND deploys A-LTE fast in under a year with NO hiccups, let me know and I'll come back here and eat my words.