Leaving Sprint and Looking for Suggestions on Who To Go With

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have been on Sprint for four years and our plan expires next month. The suburban areas we live in just north of Orlando should have excellent coverage, but not with Sprint. Due to dropped calls at our home Sprint sent us an Airave (which has broken down twice). When we took a trip through GA, SC and TN last fall we rarely had coverage except when on an interstate. We are currently using 2 year old Galaxy S3 phones and like them. We typically use less than 2 GB of data together since we have to heavily rely on Wi-FI .

I am open to going with any other carrier and would like to reduce the bill if possible but we want to stay with a 5-inch smart phone. Super fast data speed is not a requirement but I definitely want good 4G-LTE coverage. Good voice and data coverage is essential. It would also be nice to occasionally share my phone's data with my tablet and laptop when away from home.

I am trying to figure out which company would be best for our needs and I am looking for suggestions. The T-Mobile option to use both data and Wi-Fi for voice is interesting but should that be necessary if they provide good voice and data coverage? Also, T-Mobile seems to have less coverage in some of the areas we visit while Verizon seems to have the best overall coverage. Should we not consider Verizon since we could use our phones on either AT&T and T-Mobile if necessary in the future? Also, it appears that buying a phone outright is not really worth it unless you plan on getting a new phone regularly, which we do not. Finally, what are the pitfalls of signing a contract and then having to change because coverage is a problem?

I am open to your suggestion and thanks for taking the time to read this.
Walter
Apopka FL

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Over the years, I have been with all of them. For the last 15 years I have stuck with Verizon because they consistently out perform all of the other carriers for coverage.

I am using the Share Plan with 3 gB for all of my family members. The wife has a plain vanilla phone, the daughter has a Windows smartphone and I am using a Galaxy S5 smartphone.

We rarely ever, use more than 0.5 gB of data as we are always around a WiFi point it seems when we stop and use the internet.

Verizon of late ( 2 months) has had to really get more competitive with their pricing structure, so if the slight extra cost don't bother you, I would suggest you go with them. I value coverage more than $15 a month total extra outlay.

Their customer service team has always met my needs..... I sometimes have to go beyond their front line Script Readers who can't seem to fix anything technical.... but their tech folks do come through for me.

the only real time I need them is when changing phones.... the last time my upgrade was on my daughter's phone and I used it for my phone.... their automated equipment set the specs to upgrade the daughter's line, not mine, and then my phone would not connect.... took the Script Readers an hour to admit they did not know what to do..... the tech folks fixed it in 20 minutes.

Oh, my last phone is 3 years old and still working just fine.... I just treated myself to the S5 because "I wanted it"...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would highly recommend Verizon. If you want your phone to just work no matter what... It's a good bet Verizon will handle it just fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say Verizon or AT&T since you are in Florida. I have an AT&T phone for work in Jacksonville Florida and I haven't found a place yet where I can't at least make a phone call.

The Duck

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also thinking about switching from Sprint. Anybody in San Diego with T-mobile or Verizon?
Any issues with those two carriers in S.D.? I'm worried that T-mobiles coverage in San Diego is not great.
The Duck

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.

I checked coverage maps on both ATT's and Verizon's and both show 4G in the greater Orlando area and reasonable coverage at my son's home near Georgetown SC. Sensorly, which I have used with Sprint, only shows the most traveled roads so it is not very useful when looking at a specific location. (Unless you want to see that Sprint has poor coverage driving to and from my house. lol)

AT&T is about $20 cheaper for the 2 GB data plan we need but if we go with 10GB they are the same price as Verizon. Costco has a good price with the Verizon Edge plan and offers some free accessories (case, car mount and car charger). Costco did not have the AT&T Next plan so I checked an AT&T company store to get their best price.

AT&T offers free 50 GB cloud storage while Verizon only gives you 25 GB. I believe that is per plan and not per phone but I am not sure.

Next question; I believe the same phone can be used on either AT&T and T-Mobile networks. What about Verizon? if we get Samsung Galaxy S5s from Verizon would we be able to use them with AT&T should later change? What about the other way, will an AT&T S5 work on Verizon?

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Given your usage scenario, you should consider going prepaid instead of a post paid/contract carrier. It would probably be MUCH cheaper for you. I know my mother has an S3 on Virgin Mobile and pays $50/mo for unlimited everything. Granted, Virgin is Sprint so that would be out of the question for you but every carrier has prepaid options.

Regarding using the same device on multiple carriers.... Sprint & Verizon are CDMA networks so unlocking & jumping carriers is just about impossible. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM networks, unlocking is relatively simple.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Given your usage scenario, you should consider going prepaid instead of a post paid/contract carrier. It would probably be MUCH cheaper for you. I know my mother has an S3 on Virgin Mobile and pays $50/mo for unlimited everything. Granted, Virgin is Sprint so that would be out of the question for you but every carrier has prepaid options.

Regarding using the same device on multiple carriers.... Sprint & Verizon are CDMA networks so unlocking & jumping carriers is just about impossible. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM networks, unlocking is relatively simple.

With prepaid you still have to buy phones and after having four years of really lousy coverageon both voice and data we really don't want to deal with any problems from cut-rate carriers.

I am not sure what you said about "unlocking & jumping carriers is just about impossible" is accurate. I have been told that the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 could be unlocked and used on AT&T or T-Mobile. I would like to know if that is possible with other newer phones including the S5.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.

Next question; I believe the same phone can be used on either AT&T and T-Mobile networks. What about Verizon? if we get Samsung Galaxy S5s from Verizon would we be able to use them with AT&T should later change? What about the other way, will an AT&T S5 work on Verizon?

If you change out the SIM card with a different carrier, the S5 will be quite happy on the new carrier and forget all about Verizon.

It will still be a locked phone, ie, you can't root it... but for me, I don't care. Never messed with rooted phones.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Att and cricket plans are super cheap! Easy to setup as well. And in my area att towers offer great coverage. Still check out the maps and ask your friends who might have them for real life coverage issues. Knowledge is power in this type of choice! If you need a cheap GSM phone take a look at the Moto E, G and X.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I would highly recommend Verizon. If you want your phone to just work no matter what... It's a good bet Verizon will handle it just fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

He wants to reduce his bill if possible? Will that happen on big red? But if coverage is priority? Verizon or AT&T is probably his best bet

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
He wants to reduce his bill if possible? Will that happen on big red? But if coverage is priority? Verizon or AT&T is probably his best bet

Verizon will be a little bit more. Att will also be more than Sprint. Prepaid might be his answer that could use Att or Verizon towers is my thought.

grabejr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Left Sprint for T-Mobile. Everywhere they say I'll have service I actually do. Big difference from Sprint where I dropped calls left and right and had 1x in places where I should of had 4g...

Overall, the only carrier that outright lies about their coverage seems to be Sprint and their affiliates. Every carrier embellishes but Sprint takes it to a whole new level.

I would check out the coverage maps with everyone else.

Oh, and I'm paying less per month, with the monthly cost of buying the phones included in that number, then I was with Sprint. And that was also with Sprint giving me a 15% discount on one line that used to be on two lines but that's a whole other story of their deceptive marketing strategy.

You will be happy when you leave Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You will be happy when you leave Sprint.

I don't think "happy" will describe it. We are excited right now and have not even left Sprint yet. Last week I was trying to stream a TWIT.TV show while driving home. In a 25 minute trip I think I heard 2 or 3 minutes of the show and this was in an area where Sprint shows coverage.

At this time I am leaning toward AT&T simply because they are $20 less than Verizon. I would prefer the bigger carriers since they would be accountable for the phone, service and coverage. The smaller guys would not provide a warranty for the phone and do not have their own towers.

Also, I am hoping I can get a decent discount either because I am a retired Fla. state employee and a veteran. (I currently receive a discount from Sprint through my former govt. employer.)

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
We switched from Sprint to AT&T and we are both NJ state employees. They gave us a discount, just copied my employee id

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using AC Forums mobile app

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think "happy" will describe it. We are excited right now and have not even left Sprint yet. Last week I was trying to stream a TWIT.TV show while driving home. In a 25 minute trip I think I heard 2 or 3 minutes of the show and this was in an area where Sprint shows coverage.

At this time I am leaning toward AT&T simply because they are $20 less than Verizon. I would prefer the bigger carriers since they would be accountable for the phone, service and coverage. The smaller guys would not provide a warranty for the phone and do not have their own towers.

Also, I am hoping I can get a decent discount either because I am a retired Fla. state employee and a veteran. (I currently receive a discount from Sprint through my former govt. employer.)

I do believe you have a 2 week window to try out AT&T. Only things is, if you decide to cancel within the 2 week period they will charge you a phone restocking fee. Btw, what smaller guys are you talking about? T-Mobile? T-Mobile probably has one of the better
Insurance policies offered of the big 4. It's called jump. Jump Includes total protection insurance and also
Once you have paid half off your devices retail price or 6 months after you start with a new phone? You can upgrade to a newer device.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
We decided to go with Verizon Edge and got the Galaxy S5.

Many thanks to all who responded.

HawaiiD by small I was referring to those carriers that use the towers of the big 4 and are pay as you go.

Walter

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
While setting up the new phone on Verizon this afternoon I turned off Wi-Fi and ran Speedtest. The new phone gave me 21.9 down and 3.35 up. I then tried the old S3 on Sprint from the same location and got . . . wait for it . . . "Network communications issues"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed