Sprint to Improve 4G in Select Cities

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this link. I sit here a quarter mile from a Sprint tower and get point 5 mbps for my $80 per month. And they wonder why they are losing suscribers. And now they are pulling back from what Softbank initially said they would do to make Sprint the premier provider. I really wonder if Sprint will Survive.

FryGuy66

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
"Their strategy, in a nutshell, is to scale back their 2.5 GHz deployment to just three to five cities, providing what they describe as a 'Tokyo-like' experience in those markets," Craig Moffett, analyst at MoffettNathanson, told IBD. "In the rest of the country, they plan to be positioned as 'best value.' That marks a rather radical departure from Sprint's and SoftBank's previously stated strategy of building the 'best network' on a broad scale."

In other words, outside those 3 to 5 cities, the network is as good as it's going to get.

Posted via Android Central App

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
"Their strategy, in a nutshell, is to scale back their 2.5 GHz deployment to just three to five cities, providing what they describe as a 'Tokyo-like' experience in those markets," Craig Moffett, analyst at MoffettNathanson, told IBD. "In the rest of the country, they plan to be positioned as 'best value.' That marks a rather radical departure from Sprint's and SoftBank's previously stated strategy of building the 'best network' on a broad scale."

In other words, outside those 3 to 5 cities, the network is as good as it's going to get.

Posted via Android Central App
Someone at s4gru pointed out that this was written from the same info Blomberg got.

I can't post a link because of my post count but if you google "sprint planning denser spark coverage in 3 to 5 cities by 2016" it will come up.

Of note are the ceos comments that they are still going to arrive at the same place, just in a different way. That suggests prioritizing these cities first not limiting to just them. The original plan was to deploy everywhere with no prioritization, which is less than a brilliant strategy.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Failed with LTE now on to chapter 2 I guess? I like their prices but their speeds and coverage is where they need A LOT of work. Lets hope they shape up soon.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem with Sprint. You cannot continue to advertise unlimited data plans when a good chunk of your network is still running a T1 connection. Obviously, your backhaul is going to get saturated and overwhelmed.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem with Sprint. You cannot continue to advertise unlimited data plans when a good chunk of your network is still running a T1 connection. Obviously, your backhaul is going to get saturated and overwhelmed.

In some areas its even worse! VT being one place.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Sprint is Terrible! I left them for Verizon! Even after Network Vision and LTE Upgrades... Service Sucked! I am happy to pay extra money... With 2 Bars of signal, this is the Minimum i get on a northside, mostly residential area
Screenshot_2014-09-23-10-44-25.jpg