New Sprint 3G Coverage in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm constantly checking Sprint's 3G coverage ever since I became a customer when the Epic 4G released and after checking it tonight, to my suprise, it looks like they've unrolled some brand new 3G coverage in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. A nice sizeable chunk too in all three states.

So for anyone in those states wanting to try out the hot new 4G smartphones from Sprint, looks like now might be a good time.

Reactions: Pre_K

patrickal04

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately those of you in North Dakota cannot have Sprint service in ND unless you reside near native Sprint coverage which is near Fargo. The coverage depicted in ND,MT,and WY at Sprint.com is for Sprint customers traveling through these areas. This was part of a deal that Sprint has made with the primary carrier which i believe is Alltel or Verizon in which Sprint cannot offer wireless service in these areas. However in return Sprint gets to have this coverage displayed on their devices as if you were on native Sprint coverage. Good deal for everyone involved so this way Sprint can save their license in these remote areas and keep their customers happy. I am a trucker who travels well across these areas and my brother is a technician for Sprint:) Thanks and I hope this helps everyone understand. Also check your Home SID on your device and you will see that it is different when you are in these extended 3g service areas like Billings, Casper, Bismarck, Bozeman, Butte, and Missoula !! Sprint rocks... my EVO 4G blazing across I-90/94 !!

Last edited:
Reactions: rawvega

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This was part of a deal that Sprint has made with the primary carrier which i believe is Alltel or Verizon in which Sprint cannot offer wireless service in these areas. However in return Sprint gets to have this coverage displayed on their devices as if you were on native Sprint coverage.

It was Alltel using Sprint's spectrum and it is a pretty sweet deal for Sprint customers passing through or even relocating to one of those areas. You are correct that you can't start new service in those areas. If you cross check the SID used in those areas it should still come back as a Sprint SID! :D

Reactions: patrickal04

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I was in mt over the summer, I got like .3 mbps in great falls and 1.5 mbps in lincoln. All i could do is lol, middle of no where has better 3g then the city

patrickal04

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Cool I wasnt aware that Sprint would allow current customers to relocate to these areas. Its beautiful in Montana. I wouldnt mind moving here now!

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thing is I'm fairly sure that there are NO Sprint stores there if you need to have your phone serviced or something and I'd also guess that the Best Buys, Radio Shacks, etc. don't carry Sprint products either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy