Sprint offers to cut AT&T and Verizon customers' bills in half

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Or if on T-Mobile fully unlimited / unthrottled. Sprint says they can throttle videos on their plans.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My turn.

Never been throttled by Sprint in my 12 years with them.
Throttle by others, never Sprint. ;)

Mav. :cool:
Even if they don't throttle, I have heard of Sprint cancelling for high data usage. Not sure what the threshold is but I am pretty sure 5tb qualifies.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was actually going to post in the Verizon forum, but didn't want to make things redundant. Part of me thinks there has to be a catch.

Verizon currently has a $60 Unlimited Talk Text and 1 GB plan. They also have the same plan with 2 GB as a "Loyalty" offer.

is Sprint seriously to offer someone $30 for Unlimited Talk Text and 1 or 2 GB data?

I am not planning to leave Verizon, but if someone can actually leave Verizon and get a $30 plan through Sprint, that plan would work for most people.

In my mind, the Tmobile Prepaid $30 plan for Unlimited Text, 100 minutes talk, and 5 GB data is still better, but I would seriously consider having a $30 Sprint plan as a backup.

Also, in my mind, they are playing a dangerous game if they truly want to exclude certain segments (all TMobile and current Sprint customers) from taking advantage of this deal. All companies offer incentives and introductory deals to new customers, but this doesn't appear to be a promotional rate once you have it.

They are clear that if someone makes changes to their plan in the future, they will have to take current Sprint pricing, but if you never change, it sounds like your locked in. If I was a current Sprint customer, I would be more than ticked to know that someone was potentially paying 50% less than me---FOREVER!

With services like Google Voice, it is feasible to keep your current number and rejoin Sprint as a new customer, even if you are a current Sprint customer, BUT that is another topic.

In my mind TMobile has it right. Make the barrier to become a customer less, by paying a customer's ETF fee, but give them the same plans and rates as your current customers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They never do. They just reserve the right to if they choose to.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Any network technically has the right to slow you down if they see fit (says so in the Terms) -- Sprint is the only one I see explicitly state that video could be reduced to 3g right at the bottom of the plan.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been tempted by this for a week. Me and my wife currently have Verizon and pay $200 a month for 2 lines with 30gb of data. The only thing stopping me is that I hate to switch and not have good service.......

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to update and add my personal experience, especially after reading and responding to this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/479509-cut-your-bill-half.html

One Disclaimer: I use Google Voice for everything, so I can keep may same number, regardless of what carrier I am using.

1. I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and was not giving that up, but I suspended my line without billing so I would not be charged.

2. I went to Verizon and opened a new line of service and selected the $60 1 GB Unlimited Talk/Text single line plan.

3. Called Verizon and nicely pleaded with them for their 2 GB Loyalty plan. I think it helped that I was nice, polite, knew the plan existed, and was very persistent. As always, your millage may vary.

4. I called Verizon up later and had them activate an old Blackberry on the new line of service.
5. Sprint didn't have the Nexus 6 in stock, but was glad to order it for me and it shipped the next day.
They also were happy to cut my $60 VZW Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB plan in half.

After the phone arrived, I went back to the store, surrendered my current VZW Blackberry curve and activated the Nexus 6.

I now have a $30 Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB data plan with Sprint. My previous VZW plan didn't include Mobile Hotspot, but my Sprint plan does.

I am a little upset that Sprint charges a $7.99 account spending limit fee to new customers, My credit is fine, but I have no credit history with Sprint. They will waive this fee if you agree to use EBilling and autopay, so I did.

They also made me pay $110 up front to cover the sales tax and an additional $75 toward the cost of the phone. I don't really care about this since it just reduces the total I owe for the phone.

I wanted the Nexus 6 specifically because I could easily take it to another carrier in the future.

However, for $30 per month, I may just keep it as a backup line when I don't need the Unlimited Data of my Verizon plan.

I have no regrets and am very happy with the outcome, the plan, and with Sprint in general. Since I did this before the 1/15/15 cuttoff, I am still eligible to apply for the $350 ETF reimbursement as well.

As others have said, the devil is in the details, but this can be a good deal depending on your situation.

I am also not trying to turn this into an ethics discussion, but it's hard for me to willingly surrender a $600 or $700 phone to Sprint when I can reactivate a different phone and surrender that one instead.

If anyone wants to comment on this aspect, feel free.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to update and add my personal experience, especially after reading and responding to this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/479509-cut-your-bill-half.html

One Disclaimer: I use Google Voice for everything, so I can keep may same number, regardless of what carrier I am using.

1. I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and was not giving that up, but I suspended my line without billing so I would not be charged.

2. I went to Verizon and opened a new line of service and selected the $60 1 GB Unlimited Talk/Text single line plan.

3. Called Verizon and nicely pleaded with them for their 2 GB Loyalty plan. I think it helped that I was nice, polite, knew the plan existed, and was very persistent. As always, your millage may vary.

4. I called Verizon up later and had them activate an old Blackberry on the new line of service.
5. Sprint didn't have the Nexus 6 in stock, but was glad to order it for me and it shipped the next day.
They also were happy to cut my $60 VZW Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB plan in half.

After the phone arrived, I went back to the store, surrendered my current VZW Blackberry curve and activated the Nexus 6.

I now have a $30 Unlimited Talk/Text 2 GB data plan with Sprint. My previous VZW plan didn't include Mobile Hotspot, but my Sprint plan does.

I am a little upset that Sprint charges a $7.99 account spending limit fee to new customers, My credit is fine, but I have no credit history with Sprint. They will waive this fee if you agree to use EBilling and autopay, so I did.

They also made me pay $110 up front to cover the sales tax and an additional $75 toward the cost of the phone. I don't really care about this since it just reduces the total I owe for the phone.

I wanted the Nexus 6 specifically because I could easily take it to another carrier in the future.

However, for $30 per month, I may just keep it as a backup line when I don't need the Unlimited Data of my Verizon plan.

I have no regrets and am very happy with the outcome, the plan, and with Sprint in general. Since I did this before the 1/15/15 cuttoff, I am still eligible to apply for the $350 ETF reimbursement as well.

As others have said, the devil is in the details, but this can be a good deal depending on your situation.

I am also not trying to turn this into an ethics discussion, but it's hard for me to willingly surrender a $600 or $700 phone to Sprint when I can reactivate a different phone and surrender that one instead.

If anyone wants to comment on this aspect, feel free.
Wow, well done!

Mirhako

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Went to sprint yesterday after AT&T told me and my wife we would have to spend an extra $500 for early upgrade. This was after we went online and was told we were eligible for discounted upgrade. We both wanted to get a note 4, so we were looking at an insane amount of money to upgrade. Over $1000 for phones and fees, not counting any other accessories or fees they would have added.

So we went to sprint cause I had heard about them buying us out of our contract and all. I must say I was impressed. For a better plan with unlimited data, instead of our 1 gig plan with AT&T, or bill was actually going to be $30 a month cheaper.

Customer service at sprint was also so much better. We ended up getting a full setup. Loads of extras and kept our bill about the same as it was with AT&T.

Other experiences may vary of course, but without all the extras we got we were looking at a cheaper bill with a way better plan.

I used to love AT&T, guess I should shipped around more a long time ago.

Posted via the Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Went to sprint yesterday after AT&T told me and my wife we would have to spend an extra $500 for early upgrade. This was after we went online and was told we were eligible for discounted upgrade. We both wanted to get a note 4, so we were looking at an insane amount of money to upgrade. Over $1000 for phones and fees, not counting any other accessories or fees they would have added.

So we went to sprint cause I had heard about them buying us out of our contract and all. I must say I was impressed. For a better plan with unlimited data, instead of our 1 gig plan with AT&T, or bill was actually going to be $30 a month cheaper.

Customer service at sprint was also so much better. We ended up getting a full setup. Loads of extras and kept our bill about the same as it was with AT&T.

Other experiences may vary of course, but without all the extras we got we were looking at a cheaper bill with a way better plan.

I used to love AT&T, guess I should shipped around more a long time ago.

As with everything, coverage is king. Provided you are in a decent Sprint area, this promo can be a good deal.

Would you mind providing more details? Out of curiosity, what type of AT&T phones did you trade in? One of the keys to this promo is to not give them brand new top of the line phones. Of course, Sprint will love you, but people need to realize that if you give Sprint a new $400-$500+ phone to get in on this deal, it is just like giving them cash money, since you won't receive any compensation from Sprint and will still need to finance new Sprint phones.

Personally, I used a $10 Blackberry. Do you mind explaining what your new plan and bill is going to look like? I have a single-line plan with unlimited talk, text and 2 GB data for $30 + Tax.

Anyway, congrats on your jump to Sprint and on getting a good deal.

For what I am paying and receiving, I am very pleased, but I still keep my Verizon lines for those times where I still need more coverage and Unlimited Data.

Mirhako

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
We traded in my Note 3 and her iPhone 5. Her iPhone was a refurbished one we got for $99. Plan we got was family talk and text unlimited with unlimited data. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think the plan and phones was gonna be roughly $115 a month.

We ended up grabbing several extras, cases few accessories and what not. Adding a third line is only going to be an extra $40. Provided our son gets his grades up.

We've been with AT&T off an on for several years, first time with anyone else. So far though I am very pleased with Sprint. Hopefully things continue to go well for us.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint offers to cut AT&T and Verizon customers' bills in half

My turn.

Never been throttled by Sprint in my 12 years with them.
Throttle by others, never Sprint. ;)

Mav. :cool:
My turn,
I was a Sprint customer for 13 years. like you I have never been throttled unless you consider 0.19 MB 3G download speeds normal?With promises since 2011 that LTE was right around the corner. And having purchased an Evo 4g lte with that said. I was stuck with a good phone and no LTE attached to a 2 year prison term. I left 2 years ago and only recently Sprint has launched 4G lte in very limited areas of Hawaii. Even if Sprint cut my T-Mobile 100 dollar 2 lines unlimited, unthrottled data plan by 99% I still wouldn't return.

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Just wanted to provide another update:

I applied for the $350 ETF Reimbursement on February 8 and ddin't expect to see an update for awhile. However, after checking my submission status, I saw this:

"Your Visa ® Prepaid Card request has been approved. You should receive the Visa ® Prepaid Card at your shipping address within 12 weeks of your date of registration. For cards that were lost, stolen, or never received, you may call 877-855-7201. Once you receive your card, visit www.prepaid.citi.com/sprint to activate, check your balance and view your transaction history."

Granted, I don't have the card in hand yet, but this looks promising. My entire bill is around $60 per month for unlimited talk/text, 2 GB data, taxes, and my device monthly payment.

Sprint is top notch in my book.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I know someone who is looking at switching to Sprint from Verizon for this reason. They have one phone and one tablet with two gigabytes of data on each and the bill is around $100. Are you saying that with this plan though it would go down to $50. She is looking at switching but is not sure if to switch to T Mobile or Sprint as of yet. She lives out in the country so signal is important. I am thinking T Mobile might have slightly better signal but I am Not sure. Any ideas or suggestions. Also with Sprint and tmobile how is the service inside a building? We are very interested in this cut your bill in half promo sounds very sweet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12