Cut Your Bill In Half

sirwes

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I have three words for anyone considering Sprint's 'Cut Your Bill In Half' promotion.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

I have been with AT&T for 17 years. AT&T has always had great service. However, my bill just kept creeping higher and higher and higher. To me $130 a month for one line is a over the top expensive.

So I sent Sprint my bill and they said I could get unlimited everything for $39.50 per month. Sounded like a good deal. In fact it sounded too good to be true. So I did a lot of research before making the switch. But, Sprint was just dangling a carrot to trick me. The Devil in the details included that I had to either surrender my Samsung Galaxy S5 (in mint condition) or pay an extra $200. I opted to pay the extra $200.

But is when Sprint's games just began. First they said I owed Sprint $75. That was news to me because I've been with AT&T for 17 years. But then I realized it was related to a wireless dongle that I had paid $300 for and never missed a payment in 22 months until I lost the dongle. I called Sprint and told them I had lost the dongle. They acknowledged that the dongle had not been powered on in six months but they wanted the last two months payments. So I paid Sprint the stupid $75.

Then they said I HAD to buy a new phone from them to get the deal. I told them that payments that total $870 for a Galaxy Note Edge was ridiculous. So they sold me the phone for $430. So now I'm out over $500 but have the "promise" of lower bills.

I take my phone home and discover that I have zero bars. No 4g, no LTE, virtually nothing. When I called my number from my home phone it did not even ring. When I set up my phone, I had 6 apps that needed to get updated. It took Sprint's network 7 hours to update 6 apps. Before I even went to the Sprint store I looked up their coverage map and it showed my home (which is on the side of a mountain) to have fantastic 4G LTE coverage. Liar liar pants on fire.

So I took my phone back to Sprint less than 12 hours after spending over $500. I stand in line again and at this point I'm not out of over 6 hours of my life that I can never get back. They refund the cost of the phone.

But my nightmare does not end there. Then the jerks at Sprint bill me for $402 which is a $350 early termination fee plus other charges. I go back to the Sprint store, stand in line for another hour and they tell me the charge will be reversed after an hour. I later realized that that was just a ploy to get me to leave as they still have not reversed the $402 charge for 11 hours and no usage at all.

So I have advice to anyone considering Sprint's 'Cut Your Bill In Half'. DON'T DO IT.

Sprint is a terrible company with terrible coverage and terrible service.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm so sorry for your situation. As you said, the devil is in the details. I also took advantage of this deal and want to let everyone know that you do not need to surrender your highest value phone when you go to Sprint (or TMobile) to switch.

After I decided to port my number from Verizon to Sprint, I called Verizon and had them activate a $10 Blackberry on the line. Blackberries are considered smartphones too. I made a couple calls and sent and received some texts, so it was my current phone.

Sprint and Tmobile just state that the phone must be in good working order and power on, and yes, there are cheap android phones out there too.

I am sure Sprint loves it when customers trade in brand new phones that Sprint can sell to recoup the cost of this promotion and the still-running ETF Buyout. However, giving them your current phone and giving them your newest and most expensive phone are not the same thing.

Keep your newest and most expensive phone or sell it yourself. When I went to sign up for Sprint Service, they happily accepted my mint condition Blackberry Curve, notated that it was in working order and powered on, and documented the new account that I had surrendered my phone to them and would not be liable for a $200 charge.

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
But my nightmare does not end there. Then the jerks at Sprint bill me for $402 which is a $350 early termination fee plus other charges. I go back to the Sprint store, stand in line for another hour and they tell me the charge will be reversed after an hour. I later realized that that was just a ploy to get me to leave as they still have not reversed the $402 charge for 11 hours and no usage at all.

i am a little concerned about this point as well. In order to take advantage of the the "Cut Your Bill in Half" deal you need to pay for a device at full retail or use Sprint Easy Pay Installment Billing.

FAQs about the Cut Your Bill in Half Event

# 4 Get your new phone with one of our leasing options, Sprint Easy Pay(SM) installment billing, or pay full retail price for the device and we will waive your activation fee at $36/line.

It sounds like the full retail price of your Galaxy Note Edge was $870. That does seem high. However, it almost seems like they then sold you the phone for $430, which I am guessing is the 2 Year subsidized price with the typical ETF of $350---that also seems high. However, I am also surprised that the Sprint employees did this because, based on the FAQ, I don't think you are eligible for the cut your bill in half plan if you take the 2 Year subsidized pricing from Sprint.

However, if that's what happened, the ETF is still technically valid, though I put some blame on the employees at the store.

Regardless, you have my sympathy.

When I bought my Nexus 6 through Easy Pay, it $648 + Tax.
I paid $110 up front. I will have the remaining $573 divided by 24 payments, so I'll pay around $23.88 every month for the price of my phone + my plan charges. If I cancel Sprint before paying off the device, I'll just have to pay the remainder but won't have any separate ETF.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not checking cell service in your area was a huge oversight.

To expand on this you definitely always want to check your area before switching. Such as Sprint in my area is very bland whereas other areas it is fantastic .. Same with T-Mobile, or AT&T, or Verizon. Always ensure to check before switching to any network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995