How is sprint in NYC?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I recently moved to Verizon and love the service but $144 a month is a lot and thinking of moving to Sprint . I'm paying $144 after taxes for 10gb and sprints unlimited data plus a nexus 6 would be only $87 plus taxes . I'm content to staying with Verizon for the coverage but if sprint is just as good might switch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It used to be a compliment to say it sucks, but the past few years it's gotten pretty good. I can't say as much for the stores, the help, the tech support - anything about the company itself. But it covers the 5 boroughs and out pretty far out (like the end of the Expressway) on the Island. Never tried it north or west.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Download the "Open Signal" app from the Playstore and it will show you every Cell Service Network in your area down to your neighborhood.

They also have it online. Global Cell Coverage Maps - OpenSignal

Just used it and it's pretty inaccurate based off my own neighborhood . Says Verizon and AT&T are dead spots according to that app and t-mobile the best yet I get the best service with Verizon and AT&T here in my apartment . Outside its about equal . As far as speed goes fastest to slowest I've seen in my area is Verizon 65 mbps down , AT&T 55 mbps down and t-mobile around 33mbps but that app puts t-mobile and Verizon the highest .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just used it and it's pretty inaccurate based off my own neighborhood . Says Verizon and AT&T are dead spots according to that app and t-mobile the best yet I get the best service with Verizon and AT&T here in my apartment . Outside its about equal . As far as speed goes fastest to slowest I've seen in my area is Verizon 65 mbps down , AT&T 55 mbps down and t-mobile around 33mbps but that app puts t-mobile and Verizon the highest .

Remember apps can only give you an idea.. it won't be able to tell you your exact spot on speeds and everything. Just isn't possible.

According to Root Metrics 2nd half 2014 report .. Sprint looks to be bad there. RootMetrics RootScore Reports

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Remember apps can only give you an idea.. it won't be able to tell you your exact spot on speeds and everything. Just isn't possible.

According to Root Metrics 2nd half 2014 report .. Sprint looks to be bad there. RootMetrics RootScore Reports

Ah thanks . I rather pay $144 for good coverage then $90 for bad coverage . Kind of surprised sprint can be so bad in a huge urban city like New York City .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I'll be keeping an eye on sprint because $144 is quite a lot for cellphone service but I'll pay it for better service .

Yeah I have to agree that is a lot. I pay $50 but the service works .. if it didn't I would leave. It will be hard to switch one day though since it is so cheap now haha.

The day I don't work where I work now .. I could survive on limited no problem. I want to get my parents on Verizon so .. who knows .. one day in the future if I don't work where I do and they are up on contract .. We can all join a big family plan.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have to agree that is a lot. I pay $50 but the service works .. if it didn't I would leave. It will be hard to switch one day though since it is so cheap now haha.

The day I don't work where I work now .. I could survive on limited no problem. I want to get my parents on Verizon so .. who knows .. one day in the future if I don't work where I do and they are up on contract .. We can all join a big family plan.

Even then when I was with t-mobile I was paying $120 for myself with unlimited 4G data :(
I can't wait for sprint to have good service lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even then when I was with t-mobile I was paying $120 for myself with unlimited 4G data :(
I can't wait for sprint to have good service lol

Yeah I was paying around $80 for myself (I buy phones fully) but then the deal for 2 lines / $100 came out so .. the gf and I are on that now. Can't complain.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was paying around $80 for myself (I buy phones fully) but then the deal for 2 lines / $100 came out so .. the gf and I are on that now. Can't complain.

Yeah I rather not spend full price for my devices and while I do upgrade yearly I rather do it 12 months later vs upfront and save some money since t-mobile jump was 50% and Verizon edge is now 75% so I save some money doing it this way

I wished they made a nexus 5 like device for Verizon because $400 for a top of the line smartphone unlocked was nice . Got rid of it because t-mobile didn't get service in my house and no wifi calling

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Don't listen to what anyone else says. I have Verizon before again too expensive and I switch to Sprint regardless of what people told me and I love it. I'm so very happy that I did. Don't listen to those that say it sucks cause it's

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't listen to what anyone else says. I have Verizon before again too expensive and I switch to Sprint regardless of what people told me and I love it. I'm so very happy that I did. Don't listen to those that say it sucks cause it's
Well .. I wouldn't say don't listen to them. Everyone has different experiences. Just like how you say Verizon is expensive but that won't be the case for all.. Verizon is cheap for me. Just like Sprint may not be bad for you but could be for others depending where they live / work / play.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would say to use the cheapest service that provides you with what you need, both plan and coverage wise.

For me, that's Verizon, who is far cheaper than everyone including sprint, for my specific needs. And coverage is great. I am on a legacy plan though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo