EVO vs Evo Shift Vs Epic

Heroevo

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys

I have a upgrade available within the next week and my hero is in need of retirement.

Right now I am leaning toward getting the Evo (recommended by Sprint) but would like thoughts about the Epic (recommended by Radio Shack) and the Evo Shift.

I usually stay with the HTC but would like to hear about the epic.

Thanks for your help.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I personally and other people have issues with getting a GPS fix on the epic. Also camera back and front are weaker on the epic and u can't use it over hdmi it also didn't run as smooth as the evo. Yes screen is beautiful on the epic but thats about it. No 2.2 evo gets more support.

Reactions: Heroevo

Heroevo

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess my only concern at this point with the Evo and the epic is how long that these phones have already been out on the market. At the time of the upgrade these phones the Evo would have been out on the market for 8 months and the epic a little less.

Also the guys at radio shack stated that the processor in the Evo is really only 600 mhz to overclocked at 1 ghz.. The Epic is the only one of the 3 to have a true 1 ghz processor.. any truth to this.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
No, but if you really want a physical keyboard I would get the Evo shift especially since it seems like your concerned about the age of the phones.

Sfm Evo

Heroevo

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Hero so I do not need a keyboard. I would like to get the best possible phone available and it sounds like its going to be the evo or epic

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the EVO when released, test drove it until the Epic release. I had the Epic until 2weeks ago, with the leaked dk28. But once I realized that Samsung won't release the official update any time soon, I sold it. And even if they do, they will always be behind. Now that I'm back with a Evo, priceless.

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Evo and love it! No need for a physical keyboard. Since you are used to it. Or wait and see what is released or announced on feb. 7th. If it's not a new phone I suggest an evo or evo shift. The shift has a slower processor but it's not slower. It uses the speed it has more effectively or efficiently.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

busybongobill

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My wife & I debated between the Evo Shift and the Epic, and ended up choosing Epic because of its front-facing camera, bigger processor and nicer screen. Basically, it *seemed* like a nicer phone.

After about a week of trying to get things on the Epic to work, my wife already returned hers and got the Evo Shift which she likes much better. From what I can tell, I do too and I'm about to make the same swap.

I'm posting here because I haven't seen one particular issue discussed before. Yes, there is the camera, the screen the processor, but the Evo Shift seems to "play nicer" with Google. A friend had tipped us off that HTC (the maker of Evo) had a better relationship with Google and therefore had better syncing and data features. He claimed that the fact that Evo Shift has "Google" written on the back is evidence of that.

Well, it seems to be true. Here are some of the bigger issues we discovered:

1. You can't search your calendar on an Epic. We even called tech support because that sounds so outrageous but it's true. On the Evo, no problem. In fact, they even have a search feature reminiscent of Palm and Google-Desktop where you can search the entire device across all applications.

2. Copying and Pasting between applications is hit or miss on the Epic, but always seems to work like you'd expect on the Evo Shift.

3. Our Google calendars are "shared", whereby we can see each others appointments without necessarily seeing the details of each appointment. It makes planning things where one of us has to watch our kid a must-have. Otherwise, we have to stop everything, call each other, and compare calendars. Well, the other person's calendar entries are simply not visible on the Epic, and they are on the Evo Shift. We tried every trick and went thru every setting we can think of, but on the Epic, it simply can't be done.

There were other issues too, but these were the biggies. Basically, if you want to watch videos or video chat, perhaps Epic is for you. Its display truly is sparkling compared to the Evo Shift.

If, on the other hand, you are like us and you need your phone for managing data, the Evo Shift is the way to go, IMO. Only bummer is, it comes with a lousy 2G micro SD card, so if you're comparing prices, remember to take the replacement card into account when comparing to the Epic that comes with a 16G card.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Epic = Good Phone. :)
Shift = A better phone. :):)
EVO = Priceless. :) :):)

Just Like the IPhone the HTC EVO will undoubtedly be the best phone so far.(In my opinion)

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
A few things that are making me seriously consider the shift:

2nd gen proc. (Better proc than either, although the clock speed number is lower)
Good GPU (The Epic's is better, the EVO's is worse)
HTC is hands down better about updates
Cyanogen will probably be better supported than on the Epic (Hopefully it will be about as good as it is on the EVO)

And the number 1 reason I'm looking at the shift?

Battery life on it is better than on the other two with stock batteries.

The things you'll miss out on:

Front Facing Camera
Larger screen
Evo and Epic have more mature development bases
The Shift may never gain the 3rd party support that the EVO has. The EVO is Sprint's rockstar right now.

All in all, I feel that the Shift is one of the most under appreciated phones to come along in a long while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci