Talk and data at the same time?

Amyshubby1

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Considering the switch from Verizon to Sprint but am concerned about being able to talk and access the Internet at the same time without WiFi.

I've confirmed that this is not possible on Sprint on the iPhone 6 but am considering the LGG4 or the Galaxy S6.

Can anyone confirm that these phones can simultaneously use voice and data without WiFi?

In my area (long Island) I would be on the spark network half the time (dont know if that is relevant) but would need this capability all the time.

Thanks for any information.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Considering the switch from Verizon to Sprint but am concerned about being able to talk and access the Internet at the same time without WiFi.

I've confirmed that this is not possible on Sprint on the iPhone 6 but am considering the LGG4 or the Galaxy S6.

Can anyone confirm that these photos can simultaneously use voice and data without WiFi?

In my area (long Island) I would be on the spark network half the time (dont know if that is relevant) but would need this capability all the time.

Thanks for any information.

Only possible with Note and S5. Not possible on any phones that came out after....Spark enabled phones

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited:

cerob

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Correct both the LGG4 and the Galaxy S6 are not able to do simultaneous voice and data on Sprint network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Only possible only Note and S5. Not possible on any phones that came out after....Spark enabled phones

Sent from my SM-N910T

This is correct. Spark enabled phones won't work till VoLTE.

More below..

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).

CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A longer explanation is below.

[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/Info]

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This is correct. Spark enabled phones won't work till VoLTE.

More below..

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).

CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A longer explanation is below.

[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/Info]
Good explanation 👍
Any idea when Sprint will enable this?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good explanation ??????
Any idea when Sprint will enable this?

Sadly -- no :(. I haven't heard any news about VoLTE from them yet. I am glad to see the new CEO has come out (on shows like Re/code) saying they're focusing on the network a lot harder than they have in the past so -- hopefully VoLTE will come out soon.

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly -- no :(. I haven't heard any news about VoLTE from them yet. I am glad to see the new CEO has come out (on shows like Re/code) saying they're focusing on the network a lot harder than they have in the past so -- hopefully VoLTE will come out soon.
2020 at the earliest.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited:

poppany75

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Probably the end of the year or early next year. If you use the Hangouts Dialer app, you can do both.

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Probably the end of the year or early next year. If you use the Hangouts Dialer app, you can do both.

Nothing anything close to that. Sprint is in bad shape. Masa Son wanted to sell Sprint, but no one wanted to buy it. Not EVEN Comcast

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited by a moderator:

cmack92

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Your post is inaccurate as it gets. Sprint has severally improved everything and rootmetrics shows you that. Bye...

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Your post is inaccurate as it gets. Sprint has severally improved everything and rootmetrics shows you that. Bye...

Yes, improvements have been. However , Softbank doesn't have the money for the 600mhz auction AND to see the densification project through. Fact.

Masa Son tried to sell Sprint. No one wanted to buy it. Fact.

Sent from my SM-N910T

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Nothing anything close to that. Sprint is in bad shape. Masa Son wanted to sell Sprint, but no one wanted to buy it. Not EVEN Comcast

Sent from my SM-N910T

They will most definitely start having some in 2016. Maybe not nationwide, but I'm willing to put money on it that they are working on it while upgrading the network

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

Last edited by a moderator:

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
They will most definitely start having some in 2016. Maybe not nationwide, but I'm willing to put money on it that they are working on it while upgrading the network

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T
Source or just a wild guess?

Sent from my SM-N910T

cmack92

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, improvements have been. However , Softbank doesn't have the money for the 600mhz auction AND to see the densification project through. Fact.

Masa Son tried to sell Sprint. No one wanted to buy it. Fact.

Sent from my SM-N910T
Sprint doesn't really need 600.. Fact and Also the densification project, will get done. So I dunno why you'd bring that into it lol. But Sprints network has severally improved and is better than Tmobiles. But you're entitled to think how ever you want, ignore the facts like most people who hate sprint do. Also, Softbank owns a 80% stake in Sprint, they also do not intend to sell it.... So once again, I dunno why you'd mention that.

djdonnyk

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts works great but when you call your number is restricted so none of my friends pick up the call. Anyway to change that setting to show your number?

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams.

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts works great but when you call your number is restricted so none of my friends pick up the call. Anyway to change that setting to show your number?

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams.
It's not possible.

Sent from my SM-N910T

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not possible.

Sent from my SM-N910T

there's an ugly workaround, that would work,

if you have gv /sprint number integration & allow incoming calls from the hangouts dialer, it would work (very ugly & clunky) ..

clunky because you'd have to go thru the trouble of toggling the *allow incoming calls* thru the hangouts dialer, but once the call is picked up the focus is off the native dialer,

ugly because it's predicated on having a very strong, consistent, lte connection,

& also if there isn't a call already established via the hangouts dialer & you're doing smalls amounts of data I/0, an incoming call could creep in between dormant data transfer, having to ignored from the native dialer, & picked up from the hangouts dialer;

but if your doing a steady music & video stream which takes up the data channel & pick up an incoming call from the hangouts dialer, all good, but the lte connection has to be great..

the most smoothest way, to use the gv/ sprint number integration, is, moving the number usage from the device to a desktop / laptop, by logging on to gmail or hangouts via a browser, yea, you'd be stationary, but you be able to handle calls & do data at the same time.. won't work while you on a subway going uptown, lol, or out & away from home, at someone's cookout, but..

if there was a way to turn off the native phone dialer, turn on accept incoming calls from hangouts & retain the lte data, parked on a very strong lte -98dbm connection with sprint / gv integration, it would make for a fine beast.. but that dam native dialer .., takes precedence over every-thing..

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463