$10.00 Data Plan Add-on; Screwed Myself: Suggestions

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Optimus in January. At the end of the January I decided to return the phone and change back to my old phone. Thus, I deactivated the Optimus and switched plans.

I really missed the Optimus and today, decided to reactivate it. BUT, I now must pay the additional $10.00 / month data plan fee. I've talked to two activation reps and both say there's nothing they can do.

I feel that since the phone was initially activated before the data plan increase, I shouldn't be required to pay the new fee. But, Sprint seems to disagree. Any suggestions, besides "suck it up"?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
They've pretty much made it an across the board rule, so I don't really think there's much you can do about it. Sorry!

Sent from my eVo

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Ya I'm not so sure you can do anything. Try retentions if your out of contract. I don't think you can avoid it but maybe offset it with monthly credits or something.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It's their new policy and technically you are now activating it (even if it is for the second time) after the date they started the new fee. You can try to state your case but I wouldn't expect them to waive it.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Not much you can do there..tell the Rep you want to speak to the supervisor. If anyone's going to change anything for you it would be him. I doubt it but its worth a shot..you never know. I've been told no by reps before and then I ask to speak to the supervisor and its a whole different story. Just do a lot of yelling and complaining...seems to work.:'(

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Might as well return it and get a higher end phone like the evo.

Though then the OP would be spending even more money if that is a concern of theirs. the Optimus is a very capable phone. I have an EVO and there is also an Optimus in my house and if I couldn't have an EVO, I'd take the optimus without a problem. Anyway, don't want to get too off-topic.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
That kind sucks but I dont see them budging much. Maybe some credirs as someone mentioned above. You might as well go ahead and get the 4G phone since you will have the fee anyway, if you can of course.

Matt.ny.tech

Sep 7, 2010
www.yodouche.com
Did you keep your data plan? If you didn't change your plan, and lets say you had lost your optimus and just found it, the right Rep would understand. If the Rep you get on the phone is unable to help, accidentally disconnect and try the next one ;)

Sent from my Lego'ed 670 :tup:

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What really stinks is that I wanted to return the phone because I had a hard time justifying the extra 30/month for the data plan. NOW, I gotta pay an extra 40 :-(

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
here's a question. say i have to have my phone replaced with TEP. when i activate the replacement, will it make me pay the extra $10? if that's the case, i'm going to cancel my TEP

Last edited:

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked out the optimus v forum? Switch to virgin mobile.
What really stinks is that I wanted to return the phone because I had a hard time justifying the extra 30/month for the data plan. NOW, I gotta pay an extra 40 :-(

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked out the optimus v forum? Switch to virgin mobile.

Something can't be right here. I checked out Virgin's website and they offer a 1200 minute, unlimited text, data, web for $40.00/month, including taxes and stuff.

My wife and I can both get a plan, have 2x the minutes we have with Sprint AND save over $60.00/month.

Of course, I must buy the phone but at $149.00, it won't take long to recoup this cost.

What am I missing here???

Last edited:

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If the coverage and features meet your needs, the virgin mobile optimus v offer could be a very good value.

Phaise

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Something can't be right here. I checked out Virgin's website and they offer a 1200 minute, unlimited text, data, web for $40.00/month, including taxes and stuff.

My wife and I can both get a plan, have 2x the minutes we have with Sprint AND save over $60.00/month.

Of course, I must buy the phone but at $149.00, it won't take long to recoup this cost.

What am I missing here???
The only thing your missing is the motivation to go down to Radio Shack and get yourself some phones

NO CONTRACTS, UNLIMITED TEXT AND DATA, and they work off of Sprints Network so you can expect the same coverage you've been having

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the differences are:
- no unlimited night and weekend
- no call forwarding setup
- no roaming connection
- no visual voicemail?
- no free mobile to mobile

Matt.ny.tech

Sep 7, 2010
www.yodouche.com
Warranty replacement devices do are not considered a new activation and are not automatically placed on the premium data plan 10/mo increase.

Quite annoyed with sprint, but that is all I'll say here.

Indeed.

Your only going to get knocked on a new activation, an upgrade, or if you switch to a smart phone from an exsisting feature phone because YOU choose to. As in, you buy an Optimus on craigslist to replace your flip phone.

Sent from my Lego'ed 670 :tup:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer