Did I make a mistake switching to Sprint?

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So I recently switched to Sprint from Verizon. I mainly couldn't afford the Verizon plans, and with the constant changes coming through, cutting off upgrades, throttling data, I just got fed up with it. So I went to Sprint.

Have excellent coverage in my area, minus 4G, and the device I got I really like. But lately, I've been seeing that now Sprint will be doing away with their premier plans, so that shoots down one of the reasons I wanted to go there. Now, it looks like Sprint's future in the 4G market is questionable.

I have debated on going back to Verizon, but am completely unable to do so. Have I made an error in judgement? Is any carrier reliable anymore? :-\

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I mainly couldn't afford the Verizon plans, and with the constant changes coming through, cutting off upgrades, throttling data, I just got fed up with it.

That's the key sentence in your post, I think. Even with the $10 surcharge, Sprint is cheaper than the competition. I haven't compared the new Premier Plans with Verizon (I'm lucky enough to be with Sprint over 10 years, so no real changes for me), but I doubt Sprint is appreciably worse than Verizon. Sounds like you are having a bit of buyer's remorse to me. Buyer's remorse is not surprising after signing a two year contract, but not anything to get in a dither over! Hopefully you got an excellent phone you are happy with out of the switch!

Reactions: mattchew86

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can never go wrong with sprint. I'm a premier customer and I haven't heard anything about Sprint getting rid of their premier plans.

Ps. In my opinion = Sprint still remains the cheapest compare to other carriers.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I am a premier customer also,,i just got the LFYER in the mail about the new Premier plans....yes the upgrade policy for SILVER members is sort of a crap shoot for some of us....But i agree with the other guys that i believe sprint to be better and cheaper.....I see you got the EVO and thats a good enough reason to stick with sprint......

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Sprint isn't great everywhere, but if it covers your areas there's no reason to regret it. 4g is still kind of overrated, IMHO.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint isn't great everywhere, but if it covers your areas there's no reason to regret it. 4g is still kind of overrated, IMHO.

I agree about 4G being overrated. It's not even available where I live, but for what I do with this device, 3G is plenty fast.

Eazail70x7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
4g is overrated to those who either dont have it or have spotty 4g. I can agree with you if you fit that description. Luckily for me, I live in a strong 4g area and many places I go have good 4g coverage. My experience thus far has been outstanding. I use 4g everyday and find it hard to even try using 3g when I know I can use 4g to help boost speed. Hopefully 4g spreads faster and more people can enjoy using it. This is the future...

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's not just the lack of coverage. The practicality is muted by the drain on the battery as well.

Between the spotty coverage, the battery usage, and 3g being fast enough for most smart phone applications (and I don't just mean apps), 4g is still a bit gimmicky.

Eazail70x7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
4g doesn't drain my battery that much more on my Epic than 3g does. When you are on 4g but not using it, it turns to "zzz" and is basically in a dormant state. I'm not sure if the Evo has this 4g sleep feature though and that could explain why it does worse on 4g.

Also I've invested in a few spare batteries for even longer usage :)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They don't do away with the Premier plans, however, to be able to get a new phone once a year like the premier people on the cheapest plan could (69 a month for a non 4g phone, 79 for a 4g phone) you now have to have the next plan higher up wich is the 900 minute 79 dollar plan. Also, from now on, every smart phone will have the surcharge of 10 dollars, so in reality, to be able to upgrade your phone every year, you have to pay 89 bucks a month. So, bottom line, from now on, ever smart phone will cost you 79 a month and you only get the 75 dollar upgrade every year, or, you get the next higher one up to get 150 dollar upgrade. Seeing how it costs 120 more to get the yearly full upgrade, you might as well stay with the lower plan and use the money you save there for a new phone for your yearly upgrade. So instead of paying 120 more to get 75 bucks more towards your new phone, you can save yourself the 120 additional per year and use that money towards the 75 bucks you get for only being a Silver premier customer.

Wow....does that make sense? LOL

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking about doing the same thing, by switching to sprint,I can get a better discount with sprint through my job and save more on a calling plan period. Now I just have to think of a way to pay out of the Verizon contract

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

??dbdoinit

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Sprint for more than ten years, and they've always felt like home to me.

Everybody's situation is different though, so this is not an easy question to get an answer for.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I switched to sprint and also had the droid x on verizon. simply sell your droid x on ebay to pay the termination fee and bam, there you have it.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint just doesnt get many great devices like the other carriers, and 3G speeds compared to other carriers-sucks.

Sprint better watch their back side, T-mobile is making a come up. I might even switch to t-mo.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I would gladly pay more to never talk to a sprint tech again. For the last three weekends my service goes from 4 solid bars down to one and my data speed is horrible. It only happens on the weekends. If its not fixed by the thunderbolt release then I'll be switching.

Just curious, why would you settle for a Thunderbolt with all the new dual core phones coming out, especially the Galaxy S2....I hope Sprint gets it by June!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, why would you settle for a Thunderbolt with all the new dual core phones coming out, especially the Galaxy S2....I hope Sprint gets it by June!

I can think of one reply to this: UPDATES. Exactly what version of Android is the Epic 4G running? And what is the Evo 4G running? When were both phones released and when were they updated to Froyo?

Personally, I would never consider a Samsung device until after they have a proven track record of updating their current phones instead of just coming out with new ones with the updated software.

To me the fact that I would have to purchase a new phone to move up a version in OS is appalling. Sure, when major updates happened every two to three years this was doable. But we are to the point of major OS upgrades every six months to a year. If manufacturers/carriers cannot keep their phones up-to-date then there is a problem.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
They don't do away with the Premier plans, however, to be able to get a new phone once a year like the premier people on the cheapest plan could (69 a month for a non 4g phone, 79 for a 4g phone) you now have to have the next plan higher up wich is the 900 minute 79 dollar plan. Also, from now on, every smart phone will have the surcharge of 10 dollars, so in reality, to be able to upgrade your phone every year, you have to pay 89 bucks a month. So, bottom line, from now on, ever smart phone will cost you 79 a month and you only get the 75 dollar upgrade every year, or, you get the next higher one up to get 150 dollar upgrade. Seeing how it costs 120 more to get the yearly full upgrade, you might as well stay with the lower plan and use the money you save there for a new phone for your yearly upgrade. So instead of paying 120 more to get 75 bucks more towards your new phone, you can save yourself the 120 additional per year and use that money towards the 75 bucks you get for only being a Silver premier customer.

Wow....does that make sense? LOL

.......I think.....lol

Well the reason I was worried is that I'm on a family plan, and I didn't know if I "met the requirements" to qualify for the premier plan. And if I did, I may as well have just stayed with Verizon.

Either way, I've been with them for almost 2 months now, and am very happy. In fact, in our area, their 3G speeds tend to be on par with Verizon.