Sprint reducing coverage

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Community: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically...

Not good, not good. I was beginning to wonder why my signal strength was poor despite supposedly having strong coverage in an area where it's normal. And this explains why the Android Market and other apps that use data have been acting very slow.

This is ridiculous. If I'd known this would happen, I would've never gotten a new phone and waited for my contract to end. But iirc, this is a breach of contract.

P.S. Miss Jenell don't hammer me about switching as I've already explained that.

Reactions: werkx

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering why my TeleNav GPS totally lost signal when I was traveling to Lansing, MI. I needed it to find a business that I had never been to. Luckily, I also have an in-dash GPS unit(I also carried my portable Garmin, just in case) which guided me to the location. Lansing should of had full coverage. I did try rebooting phone but signal strength was low to non-existent. And, my coverage at home keeps roaming..which is a good thing as I get 2-2.5mbps downloads from roaming on Verizon. I average from 0 mbps to usually around 100kbps....if I am lucky...300-400. They just had a huge coverage on our local news channel...I think it is time to forward this information...

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Holy smokes!!! That's sneaky. There goes the argument that Sprint has the best price for the coverage. So now they have decided to bring down the service to match their price. Why should anybody still want to sign up with Sprint now? I'd like to hear what Sprint has to say about this...most likely nothing in hope that nobody notice.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Read the last post in that thread now and some of this might not necesarily be Sprint's own doing but unfortunately in part results of acquisitions and divesting of towers, and how that affected roaming agreements, retooling of towers in some areas to GSM.....

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well... I live in the New York City area - and my 3G/4G connection is doing fine here.

I guess I'll just wait to see what effect this will have on my network connection.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Whether it's there doing or not, they have to do something because people are pissed now that the coverage area has decreased dramatically despite Sprint saying it has very good coverage.

Generally my signal is good, but lately I have been noticing it waning from time to time when it shouldn't even be that weak.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well... I live in the New York City area - and my 3G/4G connection is doing fine here.

I guess I'll just wait to see what effect this will have on my network connection.

if you live in a major metro area, i'm sure you won't see any changes, but if you take a drive outside of it you will. remember, data roaming is NOT unlimited.

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Why isn't this being covered more in the forums or put on the front pages. I think this is very important and people need to be made aware of what is going on and get an official explanation from Sprint what their plans are and how they are going to be handling people paying for services which they will no longer be able to receive. It seems like this is being pushed under the rug. This is like breaking news to me.....but.....??

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I'm jump on today and found this thread. Holy cow, the data speed problems I've been having the last couple of weeks I thought were because of something I did....lol. Come to find out uh? Wow, looks like I have an interesting phone call to make tomorrow. Oh yeah, btw. I tweeted @sprintcare earlier asking them about the PRL update that went out and weirdly they never got back to me....uhmm? :eek:

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmm thanks so much for posting that link. I've noticed a dramatic drop in coverage for my phone and just thought maybe a tower was down or something. I might consider leaving sprint now, verizon may cost more, but at least I've have coverage and 3g data, not 1xrtt.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you, thought a tower was messed up.At least that what the Sprite stores around me kept telling me. They are blaming it in a storm we had back in early March if I'm not mistaken.You know...big red isn't looking so bad.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's on their official site as well. This isn't looking good. While I've complained about Sprint before, I generally never had a problem with coverage unless I was in a rural area but even then I always managed a bar or two.

But like I said before, lately I noticed my phone starting to be slow with my updates on the Android market. I go and check and the same ones I updated days ago were still updating.

Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. Though AT&T or Verizon does look good right now.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's on their official site as well. This isn't looking good. While I've complained about Sprint before, I generally never had a problem with coverage unless I was in a rural area but even then I always managed a bar or two.

But like I said before, lately I noticed my phone starting to be slow with my updates on the Android market. I go and check and the same ones I updated days ago were still updating.Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. Though AT&T or Verizon does look good right now.

That's a market issue not a network issue. You need to stop the update and then try again to update them. That happens on all android phones.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Umm, thanks? But I've also noticed my network going down at times along with my signal. So it has been synonymous before.

I am not talking about signal strength or anything. Just trying to help with your market issue. It is an issue in the market on all android phones and not just ones on the Sprint network. So was letting you know how to fix it.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I am not talking about signal strength or anything. Just trying to help with your market issue. It is an issue in the market on all android phones and not just ones on the Sprint network. So was letting you know how to fix it.

Don't get so defensive. I'm glad you told me otherwise I thought my phone was going crazy. But I am saying that I've also been noticing problems with my data signal when it comes to browsing the net and I've tested it on all 3 browsers on my phone.

I'm not trying to say you were wrong or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance