Wimax in Madison WI

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Yup, confirmed I had 4G today on the far west side of Madison.

My coworker told me a few weeks ago he had gotten 4G signal around West Towne Mall. I hadn't experienced it. Tonight leaving work as I was driving down 12 east I quick turned on my 4G radio. You bet, STRONG 4G signal.

What surprised me, is I kept the 4G signal for longer, almost to Verona road. They must have installed another tower and been testing them today. That's way more 4G than previously experienced.

SWEET!!!! I'm so excited to see it's here, can't wait until it's officially turned on.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't get too excited yet. We had our first 4G tower turned on beginning of Feb. 2 more were added in the following 2 or 3 weeks. No action at all since then.

Coverage maps show some coverage around there but spotty and fairly limited like it is around here.

I've run some speed tests when I'm in the area, but that's about all I've used it since I don't have it at work or the bar.

swear0730

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the map and even though it shows green where I work, near East Towne Mall, no 4g. I stopped a Cub Foods near Hwy 51 & Hwy 30 and connected 4G! about 2900 down and 960 up. Inside the store I got over 5000 down. Sadly, even though most of Madison appears green on the Clear map I live smack in the middle of a small grey zone.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
But the question is are you getting a decent signal? I've noticed coverage in my area according to clear, but the signal on my phone either shows one bar or it disappears and says 4g antenna is on.

hdawg5000

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
But the question is are you getting a decent signal? I've noticed coverage in my area according to clear, but the signal on my phone either shows one bar or it disappears and says 4g antenna is on.

There is full signal strength around west town mall and around walmart. I'm assuming the tower is the one off highway m across menards.
well its a given that it's not everywhere yet since they have yet to announce it and i also noticed most of madison is green but they must not have turned it on yet in most areas. i'm assuming in the next month or so?
we'll have to wait and see

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site

In our area of New Mexico, I get great speeds even with only 1 bar 4G signal. For me it's like I fall off the edge of a cliff when I go to zero bars, but still showing the 4G signal. This gives me more of a 3G type of speed.

I am a happy surfer with one bar. And I haven't noticed a speed difference between two bars and full 3 bar coverage. It's one of the advantages of Wi-Max. It's typically all or nothing. Once you get to the fullest extent of the coverage from the tower, it just drops off to dead zone instantly. And since Sprint/Clearwire broadcast in 2.5 GHz, that's only about 2 miles from the tower, not including obstacles. Obstacles are very unkind to high frequency signals.

w9awx

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear there are some sporadic areas they are testing here in Wisconsin. I've heard that a few people have gotten sporadic 4g on the north side of Milwaukee too. Now if we can get true coverage through the I-94 corridor from Chicago to Minneapolis, that would be killer. I think that is on hold until Sprint does LTE towers in the area.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I all of a sudden got wimax where I live too. It was in the area but not my home. Makes me wonder what clearwire is up to since they said they're going lte

EVO 3d

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Clearwire has always said its just a software change by in large to go LTE. Maybe they are setting up more Wimax in order to bring in more revenue, they really need it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000