Has Sprint quit rolling out 4G cities?

SedahDrol

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
They seem to be doing it quietly. Some areas in indianapolis, IN have 4g. I think rather than announcing every time a city gets it they waiting till they can announce it in a lot of cities at once. Somebody mentioned that its starting to even appear in Puerto Rico.

Last edited:

Deftotmax

May 1, 2011
Visit site
There is an app on the market called "Got Clear?" it has an interactive map that will tell you where there is 4g available. I've recently been able to connect in OKC, OK and must say it is amazing.

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Im wondering how they choose which cities to roll on. I mean Puerto Rico... really Sprint, yet Im here in Michigan in the dark while all my Verizon Thunderbolt toting coworkers are clowning my Evo showing me their 4g speed. Yet Im paying a $10 premium on 3 phones. I cant wait until my contract is up.

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Im wondering how they choose which cities to roll on. I mean Puerto Rico... really Sprint, yet Im here in Michigan in the dark while all my Verizon Thunderbolt toting coworkers are clowning my Evo showing me their 4g speed. Yet Im paying a $10 premium on 3 phones. I cant wait until my contract is up.

Join the club. I am in Phoenix and we have two very small patches of 4G, neither of which is actually in the population cluster of Central Phoenix.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

You can always move to Honolulu. We got great 4g coverage here;)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing you're near Detroit like me and wondering when this benighted cow town is going to get some love like Grand Rapids has had for a year?

In the past few days, I've been experiencing severe slowdowns with my data dumping to 1x. In looking around on how to resolve that, I'm seeing that new PRLs have been pushed out to compensate for a MASSIVE cutback in data roaming deals as a result of an Alltel/Verizon deal. Since I'm running a rooted CM7 EVO, I don't get this update and it really looks like Sprint has thrown their premium-paying 4G users overboard without even 3G service, much less 4G. If true, I'm going to have no choice but pay the ETF and the massively higher Verizon prices to get a usable phone. Way to effing fail, Sprint!

mrdpr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I live in Puerto Rico Sprint have 4G down here but us ready yet for the people. We make a petition on the internet to the corporate officeand Sprint sold a lot if 4G divices here. Sprint have a lot of competition h:cool:ere.

taguluchi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing you're near Detroit like me and wondering when this benighted cow town is going to get some love like Grand Rapids has had for a year?

In the past few days, I've been experiencing severe slowdowns with my data dumping to 1x. In looking around on how to resolve that, I'm seeing that new PRLs have been pushed out to compensate for a MASSIVE cutback in data roaming deals as a result of an Alltel/Verizon deal. Since I'm running a rooted CM7 EVO, I don't get this update and it really looks like Sprint has thrown their premium-paying 4G users overboard without even 3G service, much less 4G. If true, I'm going to have no choice but pay the ETF and the massively higher Verizon prices to get a usable phone. Way to effing fail, Sprint!

I agree I havw e been thinking of going to verizon......I'm only an hour north of you and even verizn has 4g and I have been lucky if I can get my internet in my phone working but really grand rapids sprint come on

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Socrates11

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yep. No 4G here in Southeast Virginia. Yet they put it in Richmond. :mad:

Agreed. Pretty happy longtime Sprint customer, but the slowness in getting 4G here to the Norfolk/Va Beach is ridiculous. If we don't see some progress by the summer in might be time to reconsider options.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Sprint/Clear is here in Madison. But only for a 2 mile stretch along US HWY 12, which isn't enough to make me happy.

Get off your butt Sprint !!

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sprint/Clear is here in Madison. But only for a 2 mile stretch along US HWY 12, which isn't enough to make me happy.

Get off your butt Sprint !!

i noticed the same thing here in Charlotte, NC. any of the 4g reception i would ever get with my Evo was along a major interstate. Even maps like Sensorly (maps reception) would only show pockets of 4g coverage along the interstate, but rarely in residential/commercial areas...
i wonder if that's only b/c people would leave their 4g on while traveling as opposed to being close to home.

Tomcat420m

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Same boat as you other Mi. Guys. But I live in port Huron. Though I talked to sprint & there has been talk about 4g coming here, or St. Clair county. Hopefully it will and won't be crippled like G.R is. My benefit is I drive semi OTR So I sometimes get lucky & get by 4g zones. Of course KS city, KS has great 4g. There're buyist. Lol

Sent from my soon to be EVO3D using TapaTalk - Currently running - Gingerbread roms

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I would really like to see Sprint get 4G to the Charleston, WV area before Verizon does. Verizon already said for this area by some time this year. I might think of moving to Verizon if their LTE gets here first.

I been with Sprint for 6 years or so and I would hate to leave but come on. They had a 4G phone out for almost a year and really haven't made the expansion I thought they would had made by now. I thought they would try to at least hit every state they are in the to keep their customers happy or at least hopeful. My hope is just about to run out.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I live in the Taylor are downriver. Speeds around here are terrible!! Our 3G speeds right now are at times worse than dial up!. I even have a hard time trying to stream Pandora or slacker as they keep cutting in and out.
I use to have a network card for our laptop. A couple years ago speeds were actually pretty good. The last year and a half... things were Soo bad I had to go back to a cable modem. Sprint even let me out for half my etf fee. They said they were aware of the data issues. That was last October!
At first I thought Ahh maybe they are rolling out 4G and that is the hang up. That seems to be wrong.
How I know our 3G data speeds suck. I work out in the Ann Arbor area. 3G speeds there are actually pretty good.
What's frustrating... is I see tons of cell towers around me. Heck I see one outside my damn window. And our data speeds are Soo bad. I have been told that all of southeast Michigan is having this problem.
I wonder if since metro pcs switched to LTE and Verizon is LTE.. if Sprint has lost roaming towers??

I do hope they fix this.. or I may look into Verizon when contacts are up. I've been with print for over 11 years.

Who else in southeast Michigan are having data issues?.

jhasty

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm in one of the original 4G cities (Austin). But I rarely turn 4g on. It sucks the battery so fast. And there seems to be a lag at the beginning of a connection. And frequently, I have to reboot the phone as there seems to be a problem when switching locations where 4G is not available. I am hoping one of the new phones will fix this, but until then I'm not getting my $10 worth.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
VERY recently Southern Chandler, Arizona got some live 4g coverage.

Follows the major areas around City Hall mostly.

Arizona Ave from north of the 202 up to just above Ray rd.

Yay, slowly its comming to me.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I live in the Taylor are downriver. Speeds around here are terrible!! Our 3G speeds right now are at times worse than dial up!
I live in Royal Oak, work in Allen Park, and my girlfriend is on the East Side on the Grosse Pointe/Detroit border. At home and her place, I seem to do OK and get OK run time (about 12 hours before looking for a charger) but at work, I'm lucky to get 5 hours, get miserable data speeds (frequently 1x), and the phone gets hot to the touch as it's straining to get a signal.

A few weeks back, I switched over to CM7 and loved it, but I've had problems with Bluetooth dropping with my Sync system and suddenly I started hitting data problems all over causing Amazon Cloud Player, etc. to time out and pages to take forever to load. Apprently you can't update the PRL on AOSP ROMs, but as I researched the issue, I learned that Sprint had lost a TON of their data roaming and changed their PRL to reflect this change and that there were known issues in Metro Detroit.

I dunno, but I've been paying $10 extra for 4G that will likely never arrive here and 3G which is spotty at best. Also, when running Speed Test, I often get faster UPLOAD speeds than download. WTFF is that about? I loathe the idea of having to pay Verizon's rates, but what good is a smartphone without coverage and data connectivity?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX