Wimax showing up in Milwaukee, WI anyone using?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded the Got Clear? app in market and was looking around.

im located in menomonee falls, but its showing that wimax is here in milwaukee, anyone tried or been using it?

i cant wait to try it out!

its about 10 mins or so away from me right now..

compared to a few months back when i looked it up, it wasnt anywhere near around here...

i assume they are being quiet about 4G lately because verizon, tmo and soon to be us cellular are rolling out 4g faster and in more cities...

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
ps why am i still a "junior member"
when i got over 500 posts and ive been here since july 2010?

just curious.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
It shows that I'm in coverage but when I scan it never shows that it finds a network...

I'm unsure why that is.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope, no 4G in Milwaukee. We were supposed to get it end of 2010. Oh well. I gave up a long time ago.

There are currently only two towers operational in Milwaukee for Sprint 4G/Clear users. These are confirmed as operating by sensorly.com. See coverage map below...

milwaukee062411.jpg

The first time you that you try using it, you should drive to the center of one of the two green areas, turn on your 4G antenna, scan for 4G service and hold it up above the dashboard height. It should say "Connecting to Sprint", "Obtaining IP Address" and then "Connected to Sprint." You will then see the 4G icon show up on your top bar with a signal strength indicator.

Note that Sprint broadcasts at 2.5ghz, which does not penetrate buildings very well (or metal cars). In your car you will need to keep the car higher than the seat bottom to maintain a good signal out toward the edges of coverage. In order to get it in a building, you need to either be on a high floor, near the tower or near a window that faces the tower.

It takes a lot more than two towers to provide good coverage to a major city like Milwaukee. Most cities it's size have about 30 towers. But at least this will give you something to use in MKE until the full WiMax network arrives.

Happy surfing! :D

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh only two towers. Well, that explains it. Not even going to bother trying. My immediate residence area isn't even in the green, yet a block away there's like a 10 yard stretch of green, as if it's in a wimax bubble. Doesn't make any sense.

00Polo

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a good 4G signal on the northside of Milwaukee. Pretty noticeable difference. Now, let's get more than two towers here and we'll be business!

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Sussex so obviously that isn't stretching out my way yet. I'll have to turn on 4G when I stop by my parents, in the 91st and Mill Road area on Saturday.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a good 4G signal on the northside of Milwaukee. Pretty noticeable difference. Now, let's get more than two towers here and we'll be business!

where?

i cant get it anywhere in milw and my mom lives in the green area.

only area i can get it is between Hampton and appleton, going east.

then its in the sheboygan area, on hwy 43 between wilson WI and sheboygan for about a 4-5 mile stretch, then its gone.

ran about 8mbs on a speed test the one time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12