I must be a fool, but I think I am staying...here me out and hold the pitchforks

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
As much as I **** and moan about my distaste for some of Sprint's ways(mainly the stores and my tendecy to lose my patience whenever I try and be reasonable), but I am considering staying because of two conditions:

1. I like my phone even though I haven't rooted it(pointless and risky) since it's still awesome and I can think of all kinds of clever ways to use it. I spent a lot of time trying to learn and save for the phone, counting days down and stuff. Plus I sleep with it, jk there ;) But seriously, it has helped me out in numerous ways that I can't even imagine. I think I actually used an app to save a buck fifty on a bag of chips, but it's the principle. Plus, the level of bloatware isn't too bad(I'd like to kill that NOVA app ASAP though)

2. Everyone's killing unlimited data plans. Verizon supposed to in the summer and T-Mobile supposed to in like two weeks according to phonearena. I don't use that much data, but bull****. I want to watch YT videos every now and then. Plus, some apps don't stop running irregardless and that's a risk I can't take even if it's a 2GB cap and 2GB is hard to reach unless you're using the crappy Pandora app or Netflix. Hell, when is the gov't going to step in since they like wasting money on bullcrap?

That being said, I am probably going to get some backlash but there's a difference between what is right and what is easy.

Now unless I don't get royally screwed and even retentions can't help, then I don't see many alternatives. The Big Red looks tempting and so does T-Mobile(only for the Nexus S) but that's about it.

Like I said, I'm a business type guy and well I rather allocate my resources effiecitently.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
There are androids on other carriers......

Switch to vzw before the change and you can have unlimited data.... Plus it isn't financially efficient to pay for data that you aren't using.....

Sprint has the Nexus S now......

Time is a resource that you seem to allocate to pissing and moaning about sprint. Not realy efficient if you're staying.....

Reactions: ovdevil

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
All i got to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

Didnt think i would see that happen. LOL

But besides the point, your still welcome of course. But just a missjennell said, if you switch to vzw before they ax the data plans, you will be grandfatherd into them.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
There are androids on other carriers......

Switch to vzw before the change and you can have unlimited data.... Plus it isn't financially efficient to pay for data that you aren't using.....

Sprint has the Nexus S now......

Time is a resource that you seem to allocate to pissing and moaning about sprint. Not realy efficient if you're staying.....

Did you read my post Jennel before responding? Some apps continuously use data. Facebook for example may not use that much data, but it still runs in the background. And yes, I pissed and moaned. Big deal. And I am eyeing the Nexus S 4G on sprint but I hear it has a few issues. I don't care about 4G since it's not in my area.

And as for other Android devices, Verizon is known to load theirs up with crapware and I hear moto Android phones are locked.

All i got to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

Didnt think i would see that happen. LOL

But besides the point, your still welcome of course. But just a missjennell said, if you switch to vzw before they ax the data plans, you will be grandfatherd into them.

I could and am considering that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you read my post Jenn before responding? Some apps continuously use data. Facebook for example may not use that much data, but it still runs in the background. And yes, I pissed and moaned. Big deal. And I am eyeing the Nexus S 4G on sprint but I hear it has a few issues. I don't care about 4G since it's not in my area.

And as for other Android devices, Verizon is known to load theirs up with crapware and I hear moto Android phones are locked.

I could and am considering that.

I did read before I posted. I responded to almost everything you said. I understand that some apps continuously pull data. That's why you'd go over your bill for the last 6 months and see how much data you use and then choose a plan accordingly.

And my name isn't Jenn. It is Jennell.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I did read before I posted. I responded to almost everything you said. I understand that some apps continuously pull data. That's why you'd go over your bill for the last 6 months and see how much data you use and then choose a plan accordingly.

And my name isn't Jenn. It is Jennell.

*sighs* Let me break it down for you then. I rather have unlimited data and feel more secured. I shouldn't have to have a carrier telling me I need to be in a tier with the services I am paying for. Plain and simple. They need me, I don't need them.

If I want to enjoy Netflix while sitting somewhere rather than being bored, then I would like to that. And Sprint would probably beg me to stay.

Just because you want to play their game doesn't mean I want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
But facebook only pulls data if you use it as a widget, no app pulls data unless you use it as a widget, and even then you can just shut off background data.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd just like to point out the rooting is far from "Risky and Pointless". Don't appreciate bashing on topics that you arent educated on, it scares people away from a world of good things. In fact rooting can get rid of the NOVA app.

Now that your staying with sprint, maybe we can we a little less negative around here?

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
But facebook only pulls data if you use it as a widget, no app pulls data unless you use it as a widget, and even then you can just shut off background data.

I use it as a widget along with a few others.

I'd just like to point out the rooting is far from "Risky and Pointless". Don't appreciate bashing on topics that you arent educated on, it scares people away from a world of good things. In fact rooting can get rid of the NOVA app.

Now that your staying with sprint, maybe we can we a little less negative around here?

I am well aware of that, and I wouldn't say I'm not educated as I've jailbroken a few devices before and I am a quick learner. I admit that it's far from being pointless, but I would not say it isn't risky. There's always the risk of bricking your phone or voiding your warranty if your carrier finds out. And believe me, there are some reps who can easily tell if you rooted your phone.

I want to root since I've used a Pre and remember how much Preware opened up the Pre to more customization. Considering using Cyanogen.

I don't really have any gripes with Sprint right now, but they aren't perfect. But I want bash them as much as I did before. Though I will still voice my disagreements from time to time ;)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
dont use FB as a widget , use it as a shortcut on your screen then there is no worries about data drawn. The point of having it as a widget is for it to scan and keep you constantly updated.

Besides the HTC thunderbolt i have helped , ill go out on a limb and say thousands of people root and i have yet to see a full brick. Even the TB i have been able to help recovery from soft brick and TB is probably the most involved in my opinion.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am going to give it a try. But do you need to be on a plan to root a phone? I was maybe considering canceling my contract and redoing it with Sprint so I can get the Nexus and a cheaper rate(don't ask) and maybe used my Evo to try and root.

But to be easier, what about Cyanonimod(did I spell that right)? I seems pretty much to the point and user friendly.

oh an igotsmeanevo:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-movies-blocked-rooted-devices

I got a feeling this has something to do with the movie industry, but just thought i'd refer to my earlier point

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Cleaned. Really guys how old are we? Infractions for this non-sense next time.

Anyways, rooting is not as dangerous as you think. If you follow the guides to the letter, you have a 99.9% chance to not brick. Its not like rolling dice when your getting root.

Just an fyi, android rooting is not much alike to anything you've mentioned. Also that example is 100% from the movie contracts, Google doesn't lock nexus' for a reason.

Cyanogen.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol I don't know why, but we always seem to be at each others throats.

But anyhow, I'm not surprised that it's the movie industy who's at the root(no pun intended).

So, for starters, what exactly is a ROM? Whenever I see the term, I keep thinking of software, particulary the "illegal" kind if you know what I mean.

I've looked around AC's for the Evo, but there's so many links and guides that I sometimes get a little lost.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol I don't know why, but we always seem to be at each others throats.

But anyhow, I'm not surprised that it's the movie industy who's at the root(no pun intended).

So, for starters, what exactly is a ROM? Whenever I see the term, I keep thinking of software, particulary the "illegal" kind if you know what I mean.

I've looked around AC's for the Evo, but there's so many links and guides that I sometimes get a little lost.

without getting into to much detail about the different parts of android , a ROM (Read only memory) when reference in the Android community usually refers to the operating system, like if this was a windows pc a Rom would be considered vista or xp. a custom rom would be like going into xp or vista and changing the functionality and or looks of the stock operating system.

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I don't think TMO is going to take off unlimited data, but they did recently drop it down to 2GB data before throttling. And their version of "throttling" is like 56k speeds.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I only use about 2gb of data but im with the miz i dont want to have to watch how much data I use monthly and most app are updating even if they are not a widget. I just dont like the fact that companies are going tiered and most ppl dont know what a megabyte or gigabyte is. Also, i know you all see what going on with att reporting more data than the customer actually used and tiered data may help some but its going to hurt alot more ppl with higher than normal bills. Sprint isnt the best cell company in the world but it works for me.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
without getting into to much detail about the different parts of android , a ROM (Read only memory) when reference in the Android community usually refers to the operating system, like if this was a windows pc a Rom would be considered vista or xp. a custom rom would be like going into xp or vista and changing the functionality and or looks of the stock operating system.
So it's almost like an enhanced OS sot to speak?

Can universal rooting apps be used over going through a step by step process?

FYI, I don't think TMO is going to take off unlimited data, but they did recently drop it down to 2GB data before throttling. And their version of "throttling" is like 56k speeds.
Yeah, they throttle on that promotional plan, but iirc, they don't mention that in the TV ads.

I only use about 2gb of data but im with the miz i dont want to have to watch how much data I use monthly and most app are updating even if they are not a widget. I just dont like the fact that companies are going tiered and most ppl dont know what a megabyte or gigabyte is. Also, i know you all see what going on with att reporting more data than the customer actually used and tiered data may help some but its going to hurt alot more ppl with higher than normal bills. Sprint isnt the best cell company in the world but it works for me.

Exactly. And using a Task Manager, I've noticed that some apps run even though I dont have them set up as widgets. I rather be safe than sorry. And the biggest thing is that carriers are being hypocrites as they're offering services that can eat up data pretty quickly as well, so I don't really see why they should offer tiered data when they should just fix their network and all.

And yeah, AT&T's coming under fire lately for overcharging people with data and reporting users using more data than they claim to use.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
So it's almost like an enhanced OS sot to speak?

Can universal rooting apps be used over going through a step by step process?

Yeah, they throttle on that promotional plan, but iirc, they don't mention that in the TV ads.

Exactly. And using a Task Manager, I've noticed that some apps run even though I dont have them set up as widgets. I rather be safe than sorry. And the biggest thing is that carriers are being hypocrites as they're offering services that can eat up data pretty quickly as well, so I don't really see why they should offer tiered data when they should just fix their network and all.

And yeah, AT&T's coming under fire lately for overcharging people with data and reporting users using more data than they claim to use.

Tiered data is a great thing. As long as there are options for heavy users. It saves people money who don't use much data.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Tiered data is a great thing. As long as there are options for heavy users. It saves people money who don't use much data.

No it isn't. How is it a great thing? On the Android, numerous apps and widgets continue to use background data, which can usually be turned off. But come on, to fully enjoy the android experience, imo it's safer to have unlimited data. And for people who don't use much data, then don't get a smartphone then. The whole purpose of a smartphone is to be a mini computer of sorts for people on the go or away from their computer.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't. How is it a great thing? On the Android, numerous apps and widgets continue to use background data, which can usually be turned off. But come on, to fully enjoy the android experience, imo it's safer to have unlimited data. And for people who don't use much data, then don't get a smartphone then. The whole purpose of a smartphone is to be a mini computer of sorts for people on the go or away from their computer.

For YOU it isn't good unless you have unlimited. For OTHERS it is good. For example, my mom. Tiered data is a good idea as long as they have an option for power users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800