WiMax deployment

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You'll need to go to the Clear 4G Coverage Map at: CLEAR | 4G WiMAX Internet Coverage Map with Service Area., or better yet, download the GOT CLEAR app from the Marketplace.

Zoom in on the St. Albans and Charleston areas. Drive in to a green area and turn on your 4G antenna. Then surf away!

4G service in the Charleston Metro Area is still very spotty, so you will need to consult the coverage map.

Well I got the app and the areas they have 4G makes no sense! Instead of covering the most populated area they are covering the lest to almost non of the populated area in my part of the city. Looks like I'm going to drive roughly 5 mins down the road to the University to connect to 4G.

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I got the app and the areas they have 4G makes no sense! Instead of covering the most populated area they are covering the lest to almost non of the populated area in my part of the city. Looks like I'm going to drive roughly 5 mins down the road to the University to connect to 4G.

You are right about that. When I put together the Unannounced Coverage List on Friday, I was quite surprised at the areas I saw new coverage popping up. There seems to be no logical rollout occurring. However, I have had my phone for almost a year with no 4G coverage in my area. I'm just stoked to have service in my area, albeit in a less than convenient location for me.

For now I am just excited to see significant progress. Hopefully this is an indication of good things to come! :D

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
However, I have had my phone for almost a year with no 4G coverage in my area. I'm just stoked to have service in my area

For now I am just excited to see significant progress. Hopefully this is an indication of good things to come! :D
I couldn't agree more as I feel the same exact way. I'm just glad they are showing some results here, even though it is random coverage. lol

I also got my EVO in June and its been killing me to play with 4G. Now its my time :)

Reactions: NMherron

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
MORE NEW CITIES...

I went through the Clear coverage map this afternoon to look for additional service since my May 20th update. I was happy to see more service come online for us Sprint 4G users. Approximately 20 more cities with some coverage. Nothing really earth shattering. But if you live, work or play in one of these spots, you are now smiling!

ALABAMA: Oxford
ARIZONA: Somerton
CONNECTICUT: Torrington
FLORIDA: Deltona
GEORGIA: Yorkville
KANSAS: Beloit
KENTUCKY: Pineville
MICHIGAN: Lansing (one more tower)
NORTH CAROLINA: Hendersonville
NORTH DAKOTA: Bismarck
OHIO: Portsmouth
OKLAHOMA: Watonga, Tulsa (one more tower), Oklahoma City (one more tower), Davis, Sulphur, Checotah
PENNSYLVANIA: Schuylkill Haven
SOUTH CAROLINA: Orangeburg, Inman
TEXAS: Palestine, Thorndale
WEST VIRGINIA: Teays Valley/Hurricane Area

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Sprint/Clear have turned on 4G/WiMax service to the following cities in the past two weeks:

ALASKA: Juneau (limited)
INDIANA: Michigan City
MAINE: Hampden, Van Buren
MINNESOTA: Bemidji
OHIO: Alliance, Sandusky
OKLAHOMA: Stillwater
PENNSYLVANIA: Bradford, Pottsville
SOUTH CAROLINA: Sumter
SOUTH DAKOTA: Pierre
TENNESSEE: Rockwood
WISCONSIN: Janesville

Also, service was expanded in Florence/Muscle Shoals, Alabama and Augusta, Georgia.

Reactions: rawvega

saleen2002

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
wish they would turn on 4g out here in the sf east bay in citites such as bay point, pittsburg, antioch....closes we have here is small parts of concord and p.hill. i cant wait for that wimax2 or lte what ever they wanna call it.

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
toledo061811.jpg

Looks like there is one tower live in Toledo. Looking toward the center of the circle, the tower must be in the vicinity of the intersection of Bancroft/Monroe/Detroit. You should drive over in that area, turn on your 4G antenna and see if you can connect. My experience is that when you are in the outer part of coverage, you almost need to be outside facing toward the tower. So the first time you try to connect, you should be in the middle of the coverage area to take it for a spin.

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it worked! I connect to the tower,but its range isn't that long at all!

toledo061811.jpg

Looks like there is one tower live in Toledo. Looking toward the center of the circle, the tower must be in the vicinity of the intersection of Bancroft/Monroe/Detroit. You should drive over in that area, turn on your 4G antenna and see if you can connect. My experience is that when you are in the outer part of coverage, you almost need to be outside facing toward the tower. So the first time you try to connect, you should be in the middle of the coverage area to take it for a spin.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it worked! I connect to the tower,but its range isn't that long at all!

Yeah, unfortunately that's the limits of the 2.5 Ghz frequency that Sprint/Clearwire are using for their 4G. However, one of the advantages of this frequency is capacity. So you should get good speeds even with only one bar on your signal indicator.

• If you are within 3/4 mile from the tower, you should get excellent service outside and in a car and good service inside (except some building types).

Between 3/4 mile to 1-1/2 miles you should get good service outside and in a car, and limited service inside (dependent on building type and if you are near a window facing the tower direction).

From 1-1/2 miles to 2-1/2 miles you will likely only get a signal outside. You will not likely get a signal in your car unless your phone is above dashboard height.

Beyond 2-1/2 miles, you need to be above the trees/obstructions and have a line of sight directly to the tower.

I was able to get a signal about 5 miles away from a tower in New Mexico when I was up on the 10th floor and pointing my phone directly at the tower. Got a two bar signal. But if I turned around away from the window, the signal would disconnect. I went down to the 6th Floor and received one bar, barely. On the 4th Floor, no signal.

So there are a lot of limitations using 2.5 Ghz. My hope is that Sprint will use Nextel's 800 mhz spectrum for 4G also to remove some of these limitations.

shellT12

May 23, 2011
Visit site
In wausau only about half the city is covered and of course where I live is in the part that is not covered. Hopefully they will expand their network to cover the entire city before they go adding more cities.

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
In wausau only about half the city is covered and of course where I live is in the part that is not covered. Hopefully they will expand their network to cover the entire city before they go adding more cities.

The rumors I hear is that they are going around to all the CMA's (Cellular Market Area) and setting up one tower with service to keep from losing rights to their spectrum. Some of these licenses would expire in 2012 if they didn't provide some service in the CMA.

This would seem to make sense since they seem to be doing exactly that. In the map below, it shows all the CMA's in the country. The green areas are where Sprint/Clearwire have at least one WiMax towers. I think in the coming weeks you will see the next cities to show up with service are in the white areas.

sprint4gcma.jpg

I believe the rollout will continue in this fashion:

• Finish rollout to unserved CMA's to protect FCC licenses (white areas)
  • Go back and get major metro areas missed (like Phoenix)
  • Complete rollout to secondary and tertiary markets

However, there are a few caveats with this. How long will Clearwire continue to have funding to keep rolling out service? Will Sprint stop putting any money in WiMax rollout since it will be migrating to LTE with LightSquared starting this Fall?

God only knows! And people in tertiary markets, like Wausau or Santa Fe (where I live) are stuck with one tower for months or years. LTE may show up before we get a second tower!

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Sprint/Clear have turned on 4G/WiMax service to the following cities in the past two weeks:

ALASKA: Fairbanks
ARIZONA: Fortuna Foothills
CALIFORNIA: Watsonville
FLORIDA: Naples
GEORGIA: Covington
IOWA: Waterloo, Marshalltown
KENTUCKY: Lexington, Glasgow
MASSACHUSETTS: Chicopee
MINNESOTA: Fergus Falls, Pipestone
MISSISSIPPI: Greenville
MISSOURI: Winston, Sweet Springs
NEW YORK: Nassau, Allegany, Olean
OKLAHOMA: McAlester
PENNSYLVANIA: Shenandoah/Frackville
TENNESSEE: Dyersburg
TEXAS: Kerrville, Mineral Wells
VIRGINIA: Christiansburg
WISCONSIN: Oregon/Stoughton (South Madison)​

Also, service was expanded in Little Rock, Arkansas, Springfield, Missouri and Clarksville, Tennessee.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

ALASKA: Fairbanks
ARIZONA: Fortuna Foothills
CALIFORNIA: Watsonville
FLORIDA: Naples
GEORGIA: Covington
IOWA: Waterloo, Marshalltown
KENTUCKY: Lexington, Glasgow
MASSACHUSETTS: Chicopee
MINNESOTA: Fergus Falls, Pipestone
MISSISSIPPI: Greenville
MISSOURI: Winston, Sweet Springs
NEW YORK: Nassau, Allegany, Olean
OKLAHOMA: McAlester
PENNSYLVANIA: Shenandoah/Frackville
TENNESSEE: Dyersburg
TEXAS: Kerrville, Mineral Wells
VIRGINIA: Christiansburg
WISCONSIN: Oregon/Stoughton (South Madison)​

Also, service was expanded in Little Rock, Arkansas, Springfield, Missouri and Clarksville, Tennessee.

When in the hell is southeast Michigan gonna get some love........:......................PLEASE!!!!!