AT&T to Sprint

tapwasser

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
I am considering taking my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8+ to Sprint. Sprint said my phone could be switched to their network no problem and then got dodgey saying they cant guarantee how a device from another character will work on Sprint. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T version, the G955A, doesn't have CDMA, so it probably won't work (according to GSMArena, which looks to be wrong, because they don't show CDMA for the Sprint or Verizon models either, which would mean that they can't work).

If it has CDMA, it will work, then the only question is Sprint's coverage where you need coverage. If they have dead spots where you need signal, it won't work. Of course, if AT&T has dead spots where you need signal, that won't work either. But no one can tell you where Sprint's dead spots are in relation to where you need signal. I'd try to get a 15 day, "no charge if it doesn't work", guarantee in writing (which means a company owned store, not one with some other company's name in the police notification area of the front window), so you can check out your desk, your seats in school, the stores you shop at, wherever you need signal (in addition to different areas in your home, of course).

And, of course, you'd have to get the unlock code from AT&T (See https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1008728&token=jSUQ3qE3 if you haven't done that). It takes a few days to get the email back from them.

tapwasser

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
thanks! that cdma/gsm was what was causing my hesitation (ive switched from Sprint before and couldn't take my phone to any carrier i tried) coverage is pretty similar in my area for both, so not too much of a concern and since id be taking my device i wouldn't be locked into a contract or anything.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Sprint will jump through hoops to add customers. But try to get released and unlocked from them. Nightmare incarcerated.
They will stall and delay and say it takes 3 days.

You stay on them about it and don't give up. Eventually you'll get an email and your phone may be unlocked. That's a strong maybe, because it took me 3 times to get my S6 edge plus unlocked. And damn near 4 weeks to get my note 8 unlocked before I sold it.
Only Cdma worth.