Sprint to increase upload speed to 1.5 MBps on June 10th

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just thought you guys might like this:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 12300 kbps (1537.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 962 kbps (120.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

My latest 4G speed results from http://speakeasy.net/speedtest above are nice

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Its not much but something is better than nothing.... maybe it will cut out the lag that i have with qik from time to time.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Would be good if Sprint would actually roll 4G out like they said they would while everyone else, sans AT&T, is already spreading it rapidly. And AT&T will have it out asap

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This will be nice once it actually gets here. Npw to get the rest of the fixes out after that gb update.

Sent from my EVOlution

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
:) yeah and by that time, it'll be 6G or even 7G lol. But seriously, I wish they'd just roll it out or start converting to LTE

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
:) You're probably right. I am however a little disappointed that they are taking their time getting 4G out. I knew it would be awhile to get it where I live, but I didn't expect a year. I thought they would had the major cities ready to go by the time the evo was released. As we all know that wasn't the case.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Which is kind of ridiculous, which makes me wonder why in the hell did they choose clearwire to distribute 4G instead of a company that's getting deeper in the hole everyday.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Which is kind of ridiculous, which makes me wonder why in the hell did they choose clearwire to distribute 4G instead of a company that's getting deeper in the hole everyday.

Its a long story........ but after the nextel sprint merger the gov gave sprint a timetable is which it needs to have its next gen technology deployed to a certain amount of pops and since clearwire and sprint had the same frequency spectrum 2.5ghz (which doesnt penetrate building well) sprint and clearwire got with a couple cable cos and formed clear. a new spectrum rich isp in which sprint and the cable cos would use the services provided and the only technology that was ready at the time was wimax thats why clear chose it. imo wimax has a bad rep because of the frequency it was deployed on. If clear had 700mhz spectrum and deployed wimax ahead of the rest of the bunch i think our conversations about sprint would be different at this point.

tybo31316

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Dont feel bad I just (since the evo was released) got into all this stuff learning about the different phone networks and technologies. I read about this stuff all the time because i was wondering the same thing about sprint chosing wimax over lte and i read up on it and found out they really didnt have a choice at the time because it was the only technology that was ready at the time that clear was building their next gen network. i dont think that its the wimax technology but the frequency that it is deployed on. i also read that 2.5ghz paired with a lower frequency like the 800mhz that sprint can perform alot better than the 700mhz spectrum that verizon uses for its lte network.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My download speeds have increased a little bit also. 7.27 Mbps down 96 Mbps up. Usually 4-5 down and .40 up. Tampa, Fl.

Last edited:

8vdude8

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... my upload speed has increased (from approximately about 0.95 to an average of 1.33 Mbps), but my download speed has drastically dropped!!!

I used to get download speeds of over 4 Mbps, but now it's a maximum of 2.2 Mbps, frequently dipping under the measured upload speed... :(

Oh well, I hope it's a temporary issue?

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Its a long story........ but after the nextel sprint merger the gov gave sprint a timetable is which it needs to have its next gen technology deployed to a certain amount of pops and since clearwire and sprint had the same frequency spectrum 2.5ghz (which doesnt penetrate building well) sprint and clearwire got with a couple cable cos and formed clear. a new spectrum rich isp in which sprint and the cable cos would use the services provided and the only technology that was ready at the time was wimax thats why clear chose it. imo wimax has a bad rep because of the frequency it was deployed on. If clear had 700mhz spectrum and deployed wimax ahead of the rest of the bunch i think our conversations about sprint would be different at this point.

This is what I keep telling people. Thanks for speaking some education on the background of all this. So many people misunderstand the differences between WiMax and LTE. Technically there isn't much difference in the technologies. In fact LTE and WiMax are more related and compatible than any other cellular technology ever deployed (i.e. HSPA vs. EVDO, GSM vs. CDMA).

The biggest differences, like you pointed out, are how they are deployed. The physics between 2500mhz and 700 mhz is huge. Simply stated, higher frequency gives you higher capacity but shorter distances (and poor building penetration). Higher frequency gives good distance and good penetration, but does not have the capacity of higher frequencies.

I too knew nothing about the mobile industry before last year. I have become quite the dork doing a lot of research. This whole 4G thing is very intriguing to me. Now I subscribe to virtually every news board out there. My co-workers now regret accidentally saying anything in my presence about 4G, because I go into Super Dork mode. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid