Sprint Airave (Hacking & Exploits)

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

At first, I was curious as to how many people on AndroidCentral currently have Sprint as a Carrier and also currently use the Sprint Airave device. Then I found bits and pieces of Sprint Airave-related postings throughout this website.

I thought maybe we can devote this thread to any and all things related to the Sprint Airave device (especially exploits if at all possible).

It is unfortunate, that there is such terrible support from Sprint, when it comes to this great device. I tried calling Airvana, who makes the current generation of Airave devices from Sprint, only to be told that I have to work with Sprint directly.

Anyway, has anyone managed to either telnet or ssh into the MobiLinux running inside the Airave?

Thanks!

BJ

:cool:

dakev

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
For starters using it for a prepaid service sold by sprint. Second, spoofing the gps so when the weather gets bad and the gps signal goes out I don't have to worry about loosing my signal. Third, the big long wire I have to run through my house just to get a gps signal could be gotten rid of.

I see plenty of reasons to hack the heck out of this thing. Has anyone made any progress?

ssybesma

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Unblocking Telnet & HTTPS on the Airvana

see the Sprint Community thread:

Sprint Community: Space: Airave

My post on there is entitled:

HOWTO enable Telnet (port 23) and HTTPS (port 443) on the WAN port of the Airvana

Note that it is only for the Airvana (sometimes called Airave 2.0).

I do have a decoded javascript that was created by Zefie, who put this up on his page to help people to unblock Telnet & HTTPS through the two LAN ports of the Airvana:

Click on this link to go to Zefie's Airvana unblock page

Note that this page may not be able to be used immediately* once you get to it because the WAN port of the Airvana is completely blocked.

(*Depending on your physical configuration.)

Instructions are in my Sprint Community posting.

The 'magic' of how Zefie's javascript works is by using PING injection.

I haven't seen what MobiLinux looks like, so I don't know the location of where binaries are stored, but perhaps the decoded javascript I have may be able to be modified and compiled into one the Airave 1.0 can use, with some trial and error.

Last edited:

0bitbucket0

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I am attempting to install a new Airave in a location that cannot receive a GPS signal (think bomb shelter - that's why the Airave is needed in the 1st place!). Has anyone figured out how to spoof or disable the GPS requirement?

Ray Richland

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
@ Mike47, the mobile phone's data connection isn't the gateway, the microcell is. Microcells (e.g. airave) create a short-range cellular-band radio signal. Think of it as cell tower repeater. Mobile devices then get their internet FROM it.

femto_guy

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not quite rooted yet. Found the serial for each processor (x2) and can get output, but it's not allowing input and therefor can't break out of the boot loader. Anyone else had success yet?

biggjoe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
No real luck yet. I'm on my 4th instance of Airave device, which happens to be version 2.5.

So far, the only fun I've had with it, is logging in as Administrator and tweaking some of the features and disabling the built-in DHCP Server.

BJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Boysterload

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I just disconnected my Airave 1.0 because Sprint sent me a new 2.5. Sprint said to just throw out the 1.0, but instead am looking for anything neat to do with it. Without a serial or console port of any kind, how can I get access to the 1.0? I'm not sure how I would get an IP from it. Could there be a web GUI?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What would be the benefits of hacking it? Mine seems to work pretty good out of the box.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

skydve1

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The biggest benefit I'd see from hacking it would be the ability to spoof the GPS. If it were possible, I could take the airave out of the country, plug it into the hotel's internet , and use my cell as if I was in the US.

jediknight36

Aug 23, 2010
www.wearyzebra.blogspot.com
Re: Unblocking Telnet & HTTPS on the Airvana

see the Sprint Community thread:

Sprint Community: Space: Airave

My post on there is entitled:

HOWTO enable Telnet (port 23) and HTTPS (port 443) on the WAN port of the Airvana

Note that it is only for the Airvana (sometimes called Airave 2.0).

I do have a decoded javascript that was created by Zefie, who put this up on his page to help people to unblock Telnet & HTTPS through the two LAN ports of the Airvana:

Click on this link to go to Zefie's Airvana unblock page

Note that this page may not be able to be used immediately* once you get to it because the WAN port of the Airvana is completely blocked.

(*Depending on your physical configuration.)

Instructions are in my Sprint Community posting.

The 'magic' of how Zefie's javascript works is by using PING injection.

I haven't seen what MobiLinux looks like, so I don't know the location of where binaries are stored, but perhaps the decoded javascript I have may be able to be modified and compiled into one the Airave 1.0 can use, with some trial and error.
Any word on this progress? I just got my 2.5 and would love to spoof the gps instead of running the wire out. It sits close enough to the window for Airave 1.0 to get a lock, not this one. And as mentioned earlier, clouds and trees are a bother.

And COULD the samsung airave 1.0 be used for other services, like Tmo, VZN, Metro, etc?
And Id hate to trash something that works.

David Bidwell

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Have you found anyway of changing the Network Name on the Airave to something other than Sprint. I would like to change this so I know I am on the airave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21