Sprint is going LTE, officially official.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Besides, remember, Sprint is making money off them. Not the other way around. And if this is up by the time Sprint gets the next Nexus, which is supposed to be LTE capable, then I am going to be a happy camper.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
If sprint went full out with wimax and put it on 800 also it would perform just as well as lte on that band. Its not the tech people, its the spectrum combined with the subscriber base.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If sprint went full out with wimax and put it on 800 also it would perform just as well as lte on that band. Its not the tech people, its the spectrum combined with the subscriber base.

blame clearwire for that.

zak

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LightSquared expects to launch commercially in the second half of 2011 with four trial markets - Baltimore, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas...
So that's what it takes to get 4g in Phoenix? Now to find out if Best Buy was telling the truth when I bought my phone that the Epic 4g works on LTE

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So that's what it takes to get 4g in Phoenix? Now to find out if Best Buy was telling the truth when I bought my phone that the Epic 4g works on LTE

I can promise you that the Epic 4G can not run on LTE. It has a WiMAX specific radio.

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Oh I know. I was more answering to the constant claim that lte is actually a better product. Its on a better spectrum but lte is not necessarily a better tech.

Also the worldwide standard for wimax seems to be on 2.5 so there's that. Not sure what their thinking either.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. And it doesn't matter to me if the NS4G is a Wiimax while LS is LTE because by that time, the Nexus Prime will be released and I'll be upgrade eligible then since it's an LTE phone.

zak

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I can promise you that the Epic 4G can not run on LTE. It has a WiMAX specific radio.

Sent from my evil hideout. MUWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I'd be really pissed at Best Buy if the LTE symbol on the Epic was my determining factor for chosing it over the Evo:p

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Great point. I keep telling this to people! However, WiMax currently does not have standards to broadcast below 2.2GHz. But I'm sure if a major customer like Sprint asked them to, they would develop the standards. This would not be a big deal and would only take a few months to do. It would also take some moderate hardware tweaking, but also not a big deal.

Not to mention the fact that WiMax2 is just around the corner and is implementable without changing devices. Just some minor tweaks at the tower. WiMax2 is capable of true 4G speeds. I would be ecstatic if Sprint skipped LTE and went to WiMax2, broadcast it at 800mhz, 1900mhz and 2500mhz. Get rid of voice altogether and use Voice over WiMax (VOWM).

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site

It's certainly not Clearwire's fault that Sprint didn't implement data on 800mhz. 800mhz is currently used by Nextel's iDEN network. Sprint didn't want to piss off all their large corporate Nextel customers, so they have not taken down their iDEN network, even though it is so antiquated and past it's prime.

800mhz would be so much better used than for crappy PTT services. Sprint needs to migrate their Nextel customers to PTT via CDMA (and fast!) to better utilize this spectrum. However, the rumors I hear is that Sprint wants to use 800mhz for CDMA voice! I think that's crazy.

However, their 800mhz spectrum is limited two just a single block 5x5 channel. This would not offer a whole lot of capacity and would easily bog down. It would have to be used in conjunction with lots of other service in the 1900mhz and 2.5ghz spectrum. That way, the 800mhz is just utilized to provide service in buildings and out at the cell edge (because 800mhz travels much farther). 800mhz would also be great for rural communities where distance really matters, and the traffic is less. Then the other higher frequencies would be used to provide higher capacities in urban and suburban areas.

IMHO, 1900mhz seems to be sufficient for Sprint's voice network. I have not had any significant issues with my voice element on the Sprint network. I'm just tired of the data bogging down! Hear this Sprint...we want 800mhz for data, not voice!

Last edited:

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Dual WiMax/LTE radio chips are just now being developed. They did not exist when the Epic came out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital