Sprint is going LTE, officially official.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if my Nexus will actually get WiMax before the launch of LTE, lol. :p

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...aches-a-15-year-network-deal-with-sprint.html

LightSquared will provide a nationwide 4G-LTE footprint, as well as satellite coverage in rural areas where there is no terrestrial network.

LightSquared expects to launch commercially in the second half of 2011 with four trial markets - Baltimore, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas.

LightSquared has already signed up Leap Wireless and Cellular South as customers, Best Buy as well.

Falcone?€™s LightSquared in Deal With Sprint - Bloomberg

Last edited:

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is good news. By having both LTE and WiMax, this may give Sprint and other manufacturers options when selecting a 4g radio into their devices. Also, did anyone catch this, this may be leading to the Nexus 4g that has been in the headlines. Rumored Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich with LTE?? In addition, Sprint and Google seem to be having a good relationship. I'm just speculating...

Reactions: NMherron

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So, if this doesn't guarantee better coverage, why in the world is this good news? I don't care if Lightspeed with utilize Sprint's network or Sprint utilize Lightspeed's LTE network. If there isn't coverage available, what would be the point?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So, if this doesn't guarantee better coverage, why in the world is this good news? I don't care if Lightspeed with utilize Sprint's network or Sprint utilize Lightspeed's LTE network. If there isn't coverage available, what would be the point?

I think that it will be better coverage. Why would Sprint invest 15 years with them if not to get LTE and WiMax all in one. What was stated was initially it won't because their isn't any phones on Sprint now that can use it. Now If they can expand the service to their regular cellphone service then yes it will provide better coverage as soon as they install the equipment and activate it(I would assume).

From what I'm understanding and correct me if I' wrong. Sprint an Light Squared will have LTE service on the ground at the Sprint towers and also in the sky using satellites that will cover the US so anywhere I go I will have LTE or WiMax service.

So depending on what WiMax is capable of doing with their speeds . We can have a phone that has both radios and get coverage and where.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

"INITIALLY"
"INITIALLY"

15 year deal guarantees better coverage, :-*

Plus LTE kills WiMax in its current state.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
On paper it looks like Sprint is starting in the right direction with their 4G and if the satellite situation does become a real concept that works then that is even better. Getting to more people is better, but after that is keeping them happy with the speeds. That might be another issue.

However, we will still have to see how it plays out in real life.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How funny is it to see history repeat itself?

Sprint had to do this in the late 90s, converting all of its PCS1900 stuff to CDMA. I was a Sprint Spectrum customer in DC from 96 until the change and they had to issue credit for customers to switch to the new radio technology.

Costly to do once, let alone twice.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited at the Nationwide 4G satellite rollout. But I read an article last week. The satellite is limited to outdoor use only. It may work in a car or near a window if you have line of sight to the satellite. See this article:
Interview: Martin Harriman on LightSquared's L-Band LTE Opportunity

So if you are in Billings, Montana on LS2's 4G LTE satellite coverage, make sure you ask the front desk agent at the hotel for a room on a high floor on the south side of the building! HA! :D

However, I'll hold out with my HTC Evo 4G until the dual-chip LTE/WiMax phones come out in the next year or so. Although there are a lot of WiMax haters out there, it makes a lot of sense to run both networks together. Clear's WiMax has a lot more throughput for dense urban areas. When Verizon bogs down due to bandwidth limitations in two years, Sprint will be going strong. Just get movin' Sprint! Run, Sprint, Run! And do it right this time. Please!!!

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will be direct LTE "sat phones".
My guess is it will be a bunch of repeaters on the ground that repeat the satellite LTE signal for any LTE device to connect.

-

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will be direct LTE "sat phones".
My guess is it will be a bunch of repeaters on the ground that repeat the satellite LTE signal for any LTE device to connect.

-

I thought that may be what they were doing too at first. But in many LightSquared articles and on their website they speak of LTE/satellite devices, and nationwide coverage. The 100% nationwide coverage was a mandate by the FCC for LS2 to get the spectrum. It's so that last 5% can have meaningful mobile broadband coverage.

I also read an article a few months back where a cell repeater company that was working with LS2 where you could put the antenna on your house or your car, and it would rebroadcast the signal inside. So, it will take some additional hardware to fully pull it off on a big scale for rural areas. But this is something that is very much needed. Especially for us folks who live in the rural West!

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Additionally, in the article I referenced above: Interview: Martin Harriman on LightSquared's L-Band LTE Opportunity

It states: "Your device will connect to the strongest terrestrial base station, but then fall back to satellite service when the base station signal drops off. The satellite signal basically looks to the device like a weak base station, but it gives you national coverage from day one."

Although, it also mentions that some of their wholesale customers may elect to use the terrestrial options only, or satellite only. I sure hope Sprint uses both.

Last edited:

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Although, it also mentions that some of their wholesale customers may elect to use the terrestrial options only, or satellite only. I sure hope Sprint uses both.

That would be an additional $30/per month satellite phone fee....err.... i mean..... $30 Super Premium Smartphone Data Add-on Charge. :p

-

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
How funny is it to see history repeat itself?

Sprint had to do this in the late 90s, converting all of its PCS1900 stuff to CDMA. I was a Sprint Spectrum customer in DC from 96 until the change and they had to issue credit for customers to switch to the new radio technology.

Costly to do once, let alone twice.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, they're allowing LS2 to broadcast alongside their network. They're not actually changing the network completely, they're just adding LTE.
I think that sprint is not only keeping their wimax network to please their customers but to allow phones a constant 4G connection when LTE gets bogged down or the signal is lost.

NMherron

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily, they're allowing LS2 to broadcast alongside their network. They're not actually changing the network completely, they're just adding LTE.
I think that sprint is not only keeping their wimax network to please their customers but to allow phones a constant 4G connection when LTE gets bogged down or the signal is lost.

I think you're right. This is my thought as well. Especially since the LS2 LTE signal is 1500mhz range. This will be far superior to 2.5ghz for building penetration and distance. The two networks should be very complimentary.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This looks like an awesome deal! I've been looking into switching to Sprint for a while now (it's cheaper than Verizon and has a Nexus phone!), but LTE and coverage is what's been keeping me on Verizon. If Sprint does this right though, I will definitely be switching. For now though, I'm just going to sit back and keep an eye on these two companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers