Title basically says all. And if it possible, is there a way to guide me through, because I have never rooted before and very cautious on doing this.
    01-12-2015 08:58 AM
    It's possible to root any device running Android. Is there a root method available for your S3? That depends on a few things, like the version of Android it's running and the date of the kernel (Settings/General/About Device/Kernel).

The question is why you want to root it. Just to have a rooted phone? Don't bother. Rooting won't change anything you've been doing. (It basically just adds one file to the phone - a file that no app you currently run will use, or even know about.) To do something you can only do if rooted? Then it probably is a good idea.

If it's done with the right method, installing many plain apps is more dangerous. (IOW, the only problem is getting updates, and Straight Talk doesn't update phones, so you're not losing anything. By the time you know how to update the phone manually, you'll know how to overcome this little problem.) You can, of course, totally destroy the phone if it's rooted and you start playing with things you know nothing about - that's why Android phones are shipped not rooted. (For instance, you can open a terminal app, tell the phone to delete all the firmware on all the partitions on the phone and delete all the partitions. Then you have a box of parts that won't do anything. Don't worry - there's no app to do it, and you'd have to spend a while learning enough Linux to be able to do it - by which time you'd know not to.)
    cliff cole likes this.
    01-12-2015 12:19 PM
    The bootloader and everything else involved in the root process is locked down so tight with straight talk its ridiculous. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 and have been trying to unlock it for use with another carrier for almost a solid year now with no luck. Its a shame I bought two of these phones and can't use them with anyone else. (Technically I don't even own the phones because they own the software and programming on the phone)

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-25-2015 07:52 PM