Straight Talk throttled my data LG Access LTE AT&T, why is my data being restricted?

A

AC Question

Straight Talk throttled my data LG Access LTE AT&T

Well under 3gig limit, at which they strangle data down to 2g. Called them, confirmed mobile data usage...."why is my data being restricted"?
Straight talk is notorious for horrible customer service and track record. The lies start. Your data is fine he says. No its not , no help, i can see on my phone the LTE is now a 4g symbol, i c
an tell it has been restricted, im not at 3 gig limit

Desinia

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk throttled my data LG Access LTE AT&T, why is my data being restricted?

Had the same problem. After a LONG time spent on customer support, they confirmed I shouldn't have been throttled but they really couldn't do anything about it. Huh? No, all I can do is wait for my next month to reset everything.

What can you do? They've already got your money and they're not of any mind to set it right or refund the loss they caused. In my case, I'm convinced that the problem originated at AT&T and Straight Talk had no interest in trying to make their carrier make good.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Straight Talk throttled my data LG Access LTE AT&T, why is my data being restricted?

My research has shown that if anyone is interested in purchasing a smart phone from a pre-paid service like tracfone or straight talk needs to reconsider. it works like this.. Tracfone & straight talk seek cheap providers for their services.. these providers like AT&T submit bids to tracfone and typically the cheapest bid wins and this means we loose.

Eventually we're stuck with having a smart phone that can't connect to any sort of wifi network outside the home (assuming you have a hotspot or wifi modem in your home) plus, the cell signal is very weak. again this is all because it's the cheapest servers as offers or bid upon whom ever wins the bid. I have seen Verizon tracfones.. but these to have had throttling issues..

There are 2 ways around this:
  • Purchase a plan via a major service provider and avoid the middle man
  • Purchase you own hotspot (which we are hoping to do very soon) and again remove the middle man (which again is tracfone & straight talk)
I'll have more about this when we start testing T-Mobiles hotspot in our vehicle upon our travels. Throttling or no throttling.. the hotspot will avoid any sort of throttling issues we might experience.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

My research has shown that if anyone is interested in purchasing a smart phone from a pre-paid service like tracfone or straight talk needs to reconsider. it works like this.. Tracfone & straight talk seek cheap providers for their services.. these providers like AT&T submit bids to tracfone and typically the cheapest bid wins and this means we loose.

Eventually we're stuck with having a smart phone that can't connect to any sort of wifi network outside the home (assuming you have a hotspot or wifi modem in your home) plus, the cell signal is very weak. again this is all because it's the cheapest servers as offers or bid upon whom ever wins the bid. I have seen Verizon tracfones.. but these to have had throttling issues..

There are 2 ways around this:
  • Purchase a plan via a major service provider and avoid the middle man
  • Purchase you own hotspot (which we are hoping to do very soon) and again remove the middle man (which again is tracfone & straight talk)
I'll have more about this when we start testing T-Mobiles hotspot in our vehicle upon our travels. Throttling or no throttling.. the hotspot will avoid any sort of throttling issues we might experience.

I've been using straight talk for the past 3 years(on their at&t sim), and I have not come across as these wifi issues you have stated. My phone connects to wifi networks just fine, and I have not noticed any throttling issues as well.

Not sure what phone you are using to have experienced these issues. I am using the Google Nexus 6 made by Motorola, and previously used the nexus 5 made by LG. Maybe the phones sold by Straight Talk or tracfone has these issues. I know straight talk has been selling current flagship phones such as the iPhone and certain Samsung Galaxy models, that are the same as ones purchases elsewhere, so those should not have issues. Maybe it's the lower end phones that you may have experienced these issues with..