Joining requirement

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Imo, in order to post a question, or comment, the op should need to register. The amount of anonymous questions, in which the op is unknown, and the duplicates are unnecessary.
Most sites do not allow anonymous posting. Not only is it good practice to not allow anonymous posts , but ads and scam links have been posted here, and aren't taken down till spotted by a moderator.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
We have one trusted member/ambassador that seems to be telling people they need to join in order to get an answer, when they post as a guest. :-\

While I think the feeling is that allowing people to post a question without registering is an "open door" policy and inviting, it's frustrating as someone trying to help when I reply to a topic where the guest has been extremely vague with their info and they never come back to clarify what they were asking.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We have one trusted member/ambassador that seems to be telling people they need to join in order to get an answer, when they post as a guest. :-\

While I think the feeling is that allowing people to post a question without registering is an "open door" policy and inviting, it's frustrating as someone trying to help when I reply to a topic where the guest has been extremely vague with their info and they never come back to clarify what they were asking.
1. I'm asking them to join this wonderful community, because as a guest they can't communicate back.

2. I work hard at helping members here , I run a business and family and still devote my time here.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's not just one trusted member/ambassador that does that. Many of the volunteer staff do that with different levels of voracity. When I see a question posted my approach is to try to provide an answer where pratical and if I feel it requires more discussion, I will suggest joining. If I can't provide an answer based on the lack of information I will also recommend that they join. Having said all that I don't disagree with your point about requiring joining in order to post and in fact I have brought it up in the past as well and so have some others. I do indeed feel your frustration and I've noticed that you are very helpful in the forums. Try not to let it discourage you.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Many of the volunteer staff do that with different levels of voracity.

I admit to being one, but I also offer either a suggestion to their issue or questions to get more info, which would then require joining to respond but it helps to encourage them to join because they're being engaged on their issue from the get-go.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Imo, in order to post a question, or comment, the op should need to register. The amount of anonymous questions, in which the op is unknown, and the duplicates are unnecessary.
Most sites do not allow anonymous posting. Not only is it good practice to not allow anonymous posts , but ads and scam links have been posted here, and aren't taken down till spotted by a moderator.
While I agree with many of your points. We are seeing spam and scams even from people who join. They are usually caught before many people see them but we don't always get them right away.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. I'm asking them to join this wonderful community, because as a guest they can't communicate back.

2. I work hard at helping members here , I run a business and family and still devote my time here.

I think hallux was referring to your actions in a positive light, considering the context of methodman89's suggestion.:) Personally, I appreciate those messages to the unregistered posters, because at least it shows that someone is aware of the question. I know you very often come back and help answer the question after they've registered. Not too long ago, the expanse of single unanswered questions was ridiculously vast.:-\

Although I agree that it can be a bit frustrating when people post and then disappear (either because they lost interest or they didn't know how forums work), I'm personally ok with anonymous posts, because if someone responds with a good answer, then it might help someone else when they're searching the forums or the web for the same issue.

From the perspective of Android Central itself and Mobile Nations in general, I'm sure it's intended to encourage more traffic, and hopefully get at least some of those people to register. More registrations mean more eyeballs on those luscious ads!:-\

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think hallux was referring to your actions in a positive light, considering the context of methodman89's suggestion.:) Personally, I appreciate those messages to the unregistered posters, because at least it shows that someone is aware of the question. I know you very often come back and help answer the question after they've registered. Not too long ago, the expanse of single unanswered questions was ridiculously vast.:-\

Although I agree that it can be a bit frustrating when people post and then disappear (either because they lost interest or they didn't know how forums work), I'm personally ok with anonymous posts, because if someone responds with a good answer, then it might help someone else when they're searching the forums or the web for the same issue.

From the perspective of Android Central itself and Mobile Nations in general, I'm sure it's intended to encourage more traffic, and hopefully get at least some of those people to register. More registrations mean more eyeballs on those luscious ads!:-\
Thanks , I think your might be right , hallux and methodman are helpful members .

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Another vote here to end unregistered people from posting. Its just wasteful as they either post spam, vague unanswerable questions, or ask for help with something nefarious. There is no good reason IMHO for allowing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12