Atrix vs Atrix 2 which would you pick?

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So guys I've done some reading about this new atrix.....sounds nice but....are you guys really liking it? It looks to me as if its gonna be just about the same deal with a new camera and maybe better optics.Some nicer version of 2.3 and few good things but is it going to really outperform the OG Atrix? I would love to hear some opinions here or any other info you might have.
Is that 1GHZ processor going to be tegra? is it going to be any better than the one on the phone now?$99? can it really be that good I dont know,

All I'm saying is that if I'm gonna go out and buy this device I would like to see way better hardware on it and it seems so far its not quite there,maybe its being released for now until a better design for an Atrix comes......leave your thoughts would like to hear from all of you....thanks

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Slightly larger screen and better camera seem to be the only difference. If I didn't already have an Atrix, I'd look at it, but it isn't enough of a bump to get me to buy it.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I would say, if you need a new phone, might as well get the best one. Although, depending on what they price the og Atrix at, it may not be enough to justify the difference.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Not enough bump in specs to make me upgrade for another two years. Slightly larger display same processor and a bump in camera specs are really no big deal. I'll wait to see what AT&T has in store. The Galaxy Nexus/Prime is supposed to come in a GSM version and if AT&T gets it then I'll jump over to that.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
definitely not for me. I strongly believe that display size for smartphones should be no more than 4. There's been numerous discussions and articles about it and why it is inefficient to operate with one hand with a 4.3 or bigger displays. Aside of that fact, the Atrix 2 will have slightly bumped specs but again, not significant enough to consider it if you already own Atrix 1 and as I understand its NOT going to be an LTE phone. so I'm definitely skipping it. SGSII is a more appealing choice but then again I'm happy with what I have now and if I need a bigger screen I have my Ipad 2 with me.

rquinn19

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I strongly believe that display size for smartphones should be no more than 4. There's been numerous discussions and articles about it and why it is inefficient to operate with one hand with a 4.3 or bigger displays.

That's just ridiculous. Can you point out one of these articles? Me being 6'4 and having large hands makes me a much more efficient on a larger display.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
That's just ridiculous. Can you point out one of these articles? Me being 6'4 and having large hands makes me a much more efficient on a larger display.

http://i.tuaw.com/2011/10/10/size-matters-why-the-iphone-has-a-3-5-inch-screen/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240639

http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/149206-best-screen-size.html

I understand you being taller with large hands you would prefer a bigger screen. I am an average male with average height and average hands. the 4 inch display works perfectly for me. Now, I would probalby consider getting GSII or Atrix 2 if i were to renew the contract, but since GSII doesnt come in 4inch display and I played with it at a few ATT store and think its too be for me and not very pocket friendly. So that leaves me with lesser choices and since Atrix 2 sports the same 4.3 display I'm better off with what I have now. So yes, if some people are happy with 4.3 4.6 4.7 5 inch displays I understand that. then why not make a SGSIi with 4 inch screen to satisfy those who prefer 4?

rquinn19

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
http://i.tuaw.com/2011/10/10/size-matters-why-the-iphone-has-a-3-5-inch-screen/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240639

Best screen size? - Android Forums

I understand you being taller with large hands you would prefer a bigger screen. I am an average male with average height and average hands. the 4 inch display works perfectly for me. Now, I would probalby consider getting GSII or Atrix 2 if i were to renew the contract, but since GSII doesnt come in 4inch display and I played with it at a few ATT store and think its too be for me and not very pocket friendly. So that leaves me with lesser choices and since Atrix 2 sports the same 4.3 display I'm better off with what I have now. So yes, if some people are happy with 4.3 4.6 4.7 5 inch displays I understand that. then why not make a SGSIi with 4 inch screen to satisfy those who prefer 4?

I'm not going to thread jack and make this about screen size, but your links don't really explain how 4" is more efficient. Two were polls and the other made sense if we were only talking about people who's thumbs were a certain length. I can easily palm a basketball so my thumb has no problem accessing all of a 4" screen.

Now on to my opinion about the phone. I'm anxious to find out which processor is in it mostly and some more official specs would also be nice. I loved my Atrix and the only reason why I sold it and bought the SGS2 was for resale value. I won't keep a phone for more than 6 months and Atrix's are already selling for rock bottom prices around here (undeservedly so). Another big question is if there's a notification light.

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually want to upgrade from my OG Atrix to this one. I think this is what the first Atrix should have been. 8MP 1080p video recording,bigger screen, no stupid fingerprint scanner(i NEVER use that thing). I really like my original Atrix, but over the past 6-7 months of using it, I wish it had a better camera and bigger screen. Atrix 2 has both of those. Now my question is, how the hell am I going to get one from ATT since I already signed a 2 year contract when I purchased my first OG Atrix?? If there is a way I could get it for 99.99 like the new deal on the Atrix 2, that would be sweet!

we3monks

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
While the differences between the two may not be that large. If that's a camera button I see on the Atrix 2 I'm sold. So many many high end cameras on devices without them. Using the front camera for a self portrait, not a big fan of, that camera's designed more for video.

jhotmann

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
While it may not be optimal to use a screen over 4" I can undoubtedly say it is nice to have. I had the Dell Streak (5") and it was terrible to use while driving if I needed to pull down the status bar. Luckily with 3rd party launchers you can add a swype gesture or make the home button drop the bar down for you. For web browsing, something smaller than 4" would be terrible (I don't like it on a 4" screen that much) but 4.3+" makes it a much better experience.

On the subject of the atrix 2...heck no I wouldnt buy it. Much better spec'd phones are out and way better ones are right on the horizon. If I'm going to use an upgrade it's going to be on new tech and not 6+ month old tech.

Robert Knight

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Atrix this summer, but can upgrade again when the first of the year hits. It's true the Atrix one should had the camera and video specs of the forthcoming Atrix 2.

My wife and I are big users of the fingerprint scanner. She spends a lot of time on a college campus and that extra layer of security is nice. Can it be a hassle? Yup. But worth it to me if her phone is ever lost.

I don't plan to jump right to the Atrix 2 though. The Atrix is a mighty phone itself and meets my realistic needs. I'll be able to get the Atrix 2 when it drops to the real sale or refurb mark. It'll still be a great phone then.

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I will not be for 2 reasons. 1) I'm only 6 months into my current contract 2) Not an LTE (yes, I live in one of the two AT&T LTE markets). Although if it has a better antenna maybe I would if I could. I swear with my current Atrix I'm constantly going between HSPA+, Edge, and no signal. Normaly it takes about 2 tries before a call goes through. I had a blackberry (3g) prior to this and I always had great signal strength wherever I went. Anyone else have this problem with the Atrix?

rav3nous

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
To all the people downing this phone, upgraded specs are upgraded specs. I understand not wanting this phone if you already have an atrix, just like the folks not upgrading to the iPhone 4s who own a iphone 4. Just not worth it to you. But for people like me coming from an Inspire, this is a nice update and seems to be a hell of a phone. So please stop smashing what this phone will mean to others.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I totally support anyone who's new to the atrix to go out and get one of these Atrix 2.I have two lines and one is due for an upgrade but it just bugs me since I had high hopes for the Atrix 2.Although I wanna see the official specs before I trash talk........I hope they release another Atrix soon maybe this one right now is kinda like the IPhone 4s just to beef up sales for the holydays untill something way nicer is completed....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is this screen considered better? Although qHD is it not pentile? I have an atrix and I really like it, but I might consider this phone. One concern is bigger screen, smaller battery unless this screen and processors make that a wash?

Edit: Moto has a video showing better screen,battery,camera/video and 4g speed than Atrix 1.

Last edited:

stonefeet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I like my og atrix a lot but there's little to no difference in the new one.
The fact that this new lapdock isn't compatible with our og atrixs is a slap in the face

That being said its going to take one hell of a phone to keep me from choosing the att nexus prime that should be out when its time for an upgrade

Incognitum

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me which phone I can buy that will keep me from getting upgrade lust halfway through a 2 year contract? The atrix was famously the most powerful smartphone smartphone in the world at launch, but then again, at one point the gamecube was a cutting edge console... it's not like the phone is gonna be obsolete before the contracts are up or anything. Honestly the only thing that's really going to get me excited is an att high-end phone with a sliding keyboard. Oh yeah, and slap a trackpad on there while you're at it- i miss those.

Reactions: dalvik

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams