Atrix 2 thoughts...

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
^^^^ If they still have them in stock when you go then they have no choice. As long as its still in stock you can return it and re buy it and they don't want to go through the trouble.

-Source- BB employee
I will be just 2 days past my 30 days, sucks to be me.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Slayers

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone wish they had waited to get a different phone then this 1?

I have this and the Vivid on my short list and since the Vivid has been said it will get ICS and no one knows for sure on this I am now in the unsure category on what phone to get.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't buy this phone for ICS. I bought it for what it was, and is. It is an awesome phone. If ICS is a must (and, I really don't see THAT much in it that is a "must have"), then you should wait until something comes out with it.

However, understand that you (like many others) will be the guinea pigs in the launch. I've been through that before and my time is FAR too busy to spend my days being a beta-tester for someone else's product. I have every belief that there will be a steep learning curve for those involved.

On the other hand, the OS on the Atrix2 is very smooth and refined, from being out for quite awhile and updated.

Did I mention this is an awesome phone? :)

ridethegutter

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I think that the atrix2 is one of the best phones out for at&t. The iPhone 4s is the only other
phone I would consider. I have played with the galaxy s2 numerous times and I am still not sold. The only complaint I have, which really isn't the phones fault, is the lack of supported games.

So_Wut

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I didn't buy this phone for ICS. I bought it for what it was, and is. It is an awesome phone. If ICS is a must (and, I really don't see THAT much in it that is a "must have"), then you should wait until something comes out with it.

However, understand that you (like many others) will be the guinea pigs in the launch. I've been through that before and my time is FAR too busy to spend my days being a beta-tester for someone else's product. I have every belief that there will be a steep learning curve for those involved.

On the other hand, the OS on the Atrix2 is very smooth and refined, from being out for quite awhile and updated.

Did I mention this is an awesome phone? :)

You said it perfectly. I couldn't help but quote you. This is the best phone i have had and if I take the price into consideration i feel like i stole it. :) very happy with this phone just the way it is.

ridethegutter

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I could care less about ICS. The phone works perfectly the way it is. What benefits would ICS give it? On black Friday, I will still have two days left on my 30 day return policy. I am thinking about price matching and getting my 50 bucks back. As of now, the phone is sold out at all best buys near me.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I could care less about ICS. The phone works perfectly the way it is. What benefits would ICS give it? On black Friday, I will still have two days left on my 30 day return policy. I am thinking about price matching and getting my 50 bucks back. As of now, the phone is sold out at all best buys near me.

Hey, ridethegutter and 916X10: GREAT NEWS!!! Radio Shack has the Atrix2 in today's ad (the regular Sunday ad on November 20th, not the black friday ad) for free! We can go get our money back from Best Buy today without having to worry about the black friday hassle!!! I know you thought you were SOL, 916, but it's your lucky day! :)

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey, ridethegutter and 916X10: GREAT NEWS!!! Radio Shack has the Atrix2 in today's ad (the regular Sunday ad on November 20th, not the black friday ad) for free! We can go get our money back from Best Buy today without having to worry about the black friday hassle!!! I know you thought you were SOL, 916, but it's your lucky day! :)
So let me make sure I understand you

Go back to Best Buy and say "Radio Shack has the phone for free, can you price match for me" and they will refund my $50? You gonna go do that today? If so, let me know how it works. I'm gonna be finishing up my sub enclosure today, and football games so I probably won't have time.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period. Perfect Match Promise products have an extended 60-day price match period.

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Outlet Center and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

The above was copied and pasted from Best Buys website, the part that concerns me is the "free items" comment. I would assume that means if you buy something and then something along with it for free, you can't go back to BB and ask for a refund for said item if you had purchased it from them recently. But since it's not clear, it seems it can be left to interpretation. So who's gonna go try first? LoL

**Update**
Ok, I guess I'll try first. LMAO

I just called 1.800.BEST.BUY and got my refund processed. When you ask them to price match they will call Radio Shack to see if they have it in stock and confirm the price, so it's a good idea to have the phone number to a store or two handy as not all of them have them. The lady I dealt with was pretty cool, she called two stores for me and the second one had it. She submitted the price match request and said that it could take a week to 10 days but it will be credited back to my CC. She gave me a case# and said if I don't see that it's credited after 10 days to call back and give them to case# to follow up.

I asked her if it was still up in the air as to IF the refund will happen, she said no, it's just a matter of WHEN.

Thanks TimmyB44, made my day!

Last edited:

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Atrix 2 for a few days and am already getting buyers remorse. I?ve seen to have misjudged the tradeoffs and a lot of the pros seem trifling to me compared to the cons. There's a lot more negatives here than positives so if you don't wanna read my negatives you should skip this post. I've been poking around the forum here and really just went by assumptions on what I've read and such, but reality is usually never as rosy as my imagination. I draw up a complaint list for all my phones and am not phone or brand loyal, just how I see it. Hopefully it will help other nitpickers in deciding.

For starters, the display looks cheap. When turned off, its like a super thick gloss or plastic (old resistive PDAs or very low-end laptops with fishbowl gloss screens come to mind) that also can reflect light like the cheap plastic mirrors you buy at Target. In fact, it works great as a kind of dingy mirror. Samsung phones are very black, and I don't remember other brands being so thick and plasticky and reflective looking. The resistive look also extends to the feel of the touchscreen. It is soft and can be pushed inward, like a resistive screen, with the lightest tap. I don't think this is glass at all, most likely some sort of plastic. Swiping is not smooth. Feels like swiping on plastic, with some resistance. Is it plastic or is it glass? I dunno. It has a plastic consistency. I'd read a couple of times of the screen possibly being plastic, from some rather unreliable sources (bad English in the comments section of some blog) but sometimes those end up being right, and it would have definitely swayed my decision making if I knew about it.

I thought the display would be on par with Super LCD except for the viewing angles, even though I always felt disappointed when seeing the display on youtube videos. Turns out the youtube videos were right. It is pretty dull compared to Super LCD. Compared to Super LCDs on HTC phones, the colors lacked punch and the contrast was a big step down. Viewing angles also were low enough to be a big bother. Solid colors, especially white, would bring it out the most as there is a slight negative haze on the screen that makes it feel very low quality. The colors don?t go all negative at off-angles like really cheap TN-film displays, but the negative haze is there. SuperLCD, IPS and AMOLED don't do this. Everything is exacerbated by the plastic layer on top, which is translucent, thick, and very visible. Blacks are already not the strong point of LCDs, but the light caught in the far-from-transparent plastic makes it look even grayer.

Performance is also kind of underwhelming. It doesn?t seem any faster than a single-core phone. The touchscreen doesn?t seem responsive. I have to tap multiple times on the bottom keys to trigger them or in some cases a prolonged hard press. Swiping isn?t very responsive, the plastic feel of the touchscreen and the resistance that comes with it not helping. Opening and leaving apps seems to lag or pause a bit before the animation triggers. Web pages load quickly, but swiping or pinch-to-zoom is nonresponsive at times and will trigger seconds later or not at all. When it does scroll, its not smooth. Then there?s the general bland off-white interface and for some reason, really low-fi shuffling sound they use for taps. I thought the Samsung popping noise was annoying. This is annoying in a whole different, more aggravating way. This is accompanied by the haptic feedback, which feels and sounds very strange, in a disquieting way.

I?ll have to stem some of this negativity by saying the phone has a very good sounding speaker for a 10mm phone. The GPS is also fast and no problems with wifi or calls.

The phone feels very solid, but a bit too heavy and dense. Turns out I'm more for solid build and no moving parts and not for more weight. Since the back is flat and the sides don?t taper to the back much, my fingers don?t even make contact with the back and much of the support is on the sides, and it feels like it might slip out because of the weight. Its strange that the Samsung Infuse which isn't that different dimension-wise, can feel so much lighter even though there's only 8 grams separating them.

Camera focus is very hit or miss. Sometimes it will take 1/100 of a second to snap a blurry picture and sometimes it will take 5 seconds squinting about with very conspicuous mechanical sounds until it thinks it has the right focus, and finally snaps, longer if the flash needs to be engaged. Colors are bland, details can be poor or non-existent. Videos are smooth with great auto-exposure and the audio capture is probably the best I?ve heard from a phone, but the details are lacking or non-existent and the image is soft. It?s more VGA than FullHD. Noise is really bad when indoors. When going through a semi-dark hallway the video turns super choppy and noisy until when you enter a room and then it oddly becomes buttery smooth again, with lots of fast moving noise to show that smoothness.

And yeah, the buttons kind of suck. You can?t feel the power button since its flush and not textured differently. You just have to push in the general top right and hope it hits. I find the Samsung power key which is on the right and always falls where my index finger is to be way better. The volume keys are also thin and hard to push as well as the camera key. The on-screen shutter key is much easier and the phone more secure since my fingers wrap behind the phone. If I used the camera key I?d have to hold it by the corners in a precarious position and push down hard.

Most things function and function well, but a lot of the details get glossed over, and it?s the details that define a premium handset. This does feel more like a budget phone to match the budget price. It can do everything the high-end phones can, just not as well as I hoped it would. In the end, I?m really just griping over the fact that for maybe $80 more I could?ve gotten the T-mobile Samsung GS2. I would probably write just as long a complaint list, but then there wouldn?t be a better phone to upgrade to and I?d at least be stuck with a smartphone for more than a couple months. :p

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Atrix 2 for a few days and am already getting buyers remorse. I’ve seen to have misjudged the tradeoffs and a lot of the pros seem trifling to me compared to the cons. There's a lot more negatives here than positives so if you don't wanna read my negatives you should skip this post. I've been poking around the forum here and really just went by assumptions on what I've read and such, but reality is usually never as rosy as my imagination. I draw up a complaint list for all my phones and am not phone or brand loyal, just how I see it. Hopefully it will help other nitpickers in deciding.

Can't say I agree with about 90% of your post, but as you said, you are only a few days in. I would definitely take the phone back and get something that better suits your needs. It appears you have a very strong Samsung admiration/bias, which is fine. I held both the SGSII and the Atrix2 side-by-side, and was not impressed at all with the look, feel, etc. of the Samsung, but this is just personal preference. (I have no bias towards ANY manufacturer as I have just come over from HP/webOS, so I know nothing about any past performance issues with any of these companies.)

Either way, good luck with your search. I am sure with the great prices out this holiday season, you will find what you are looking for.

Reactions: 916x10

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
@Katamari Arent all of those issues things you could have identified before making the purchase? Beyond that, I'm not going to argue with you about your opinion but I have to say that most of what you're describing is unfounded with my experience with this phone the past month.

I dont know how hard you're pressing on ur screen, or why it would be necessary to press that hard to notice that it bends. To classify said pressure as a light tap is quite the misrepresentation as I spends lots of time lightly tapping my display, as I am now as I type this response, and would be lying if I said I noticed the screen bending.

As for the screen not being smooth.....the smoothness of the screen is one thing I didnt like much because when trying to type, my thumbs would slide to neighboring letters due to the screen being so slick.

My screen is very close to the iPhone in its sensitivity, zooming and scrolling, no complaints there. I have never had to long press the lower buttons to get them to respond nor have I had any issues with the screen not performing as it should when zooming or scrolling.

Lastly, I never fully back out of any app, I simply tap the home button and not once have I ever had my phone become laggy as a result, its actually been a strong point that this phone has remained smooth in its operation as it was the day I got it. My previous phone sucked in this regard....until I flashed WB rom at least, then it was a treat. As for your other complaints, they seem more based on a bias towards what you're used to or prefer more than anything, but you're as entitled to your opinion as the rest of us so I wont address them.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Phonejock

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the SGS2 for a few weeks and had battery issues and took it to AT&T and it was the day the atrix 2 came out and once I held it I had to switch. I love qhd over super amoled and the build quality is much better. The sg2 is thiner but since when is that better? The battery life on this is excellent. I used blackberry curve then Droid x, captivate, iphone 4 and now Atrix 2. Droid x was my favorite but this is now. Maybe I just like Motorola but its hard for me not to want the next big thing and this has me ready to wait out my contract.....well at least till quad core moto hits AT&T :)

ISS2

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Copped my A2 on Black Friday and I've been glad ever since. Quick, responsive and the new processor rids the hot phone issues the OG Atrix has. 4.3 is a great size for a phone. Still getting accustom to the keyboard and chompsms not clearing out text sometimes, but I'm glad I made the jump to android. I may stick around for a while...

bhayden25

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got an Atrix 2 this afternoon. It seems like a solid device from the reviews i have read so far. Can't say what i like more about the Inspire. I am eager to put this thing through the paces

Chadg808

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Atrix 2 yesterday, And I gotta say it is more responsive than the Atrix 4G. Everything is just much faster, with little to no lag.

hponik

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
The Atrix 2 is my first Android device, after previously owning the iPhone 3Gs. I like it a lot better than my iPhone. Overall it's been a very solid device for me. The battery usually lasts me a little over one day if I'm not constantly using it. It's also decent on speed, apps open with little to no lag. The only thing I don't really like is the Moto UI. But I have Holo Launcher/Locker installed, and it seems to even make it a bit faster.

Captian4Phones

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a list of devices for the last 2 years. (Order of purchase.)

IPhone 4
Samsung galaxy plyr 5.0
Samsung Infuse
HTC Vivid 4G LTE
IPhone 3gs
Moto Atrix 2

I traded away my Vivid for this phone and before I updated to ICS I was having buyers remorse. I couldn't stand the Moto Blur ui. The ics update is so close to stock Android that it's unbelievable. I can honestly say that I love this phone.

Sent from a stock Atrix 2 cause there's no reason to root it. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy